Tsar Peter II (1715-1730)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
Łagiewka Pyłkowa
Country
Poland
Peter II had one child with Princess Catherine Dolgorukova. What has happened with him ???

I thought, and I am going from memory here, that the fifteen year old Peter II was married for one day to Princess Catherine before he died from smallpox. Not much chance there for a pregnancy.

Last edited:
You are right. He married Catherine Dolgorukova and died the next day. They, supposedly, pushed her into bed with him the night of the wedding. Of course, there were no children and thus ended the direct maile line of the Romanovs. He was suceeded by his cousin Anna Ivanovna, who was the daughter of Ivan V and the niece of Peter I.

Peter II had one child with Princess Catherine Dolgorukova. What has happened with him ???

This is from Wikipedia: "Whilst he lay dying, his new wife was pushed into his deathbed in a desperate attempt to make her pregnant."
Hard to imagine.

Last edited:
You are right. Actually, amusing. How did they think a dying man was going to have sex with anyone? Maybe, it is just a made up tale.

It is rather pathetic, isn't it?
Intrigued by Prince of Poland's query, I began some research to see if there was any rumor about a child from the short-lived, unconsumated marriage, and found nothing.

So, what happened to the Czarina Catherine? She was married to the Czar, afterall--even though he died--but that wasn't her fault.

The marriage did not take place, this is speculation. Her family tried to usurp the throne, so they were beheaded and she was sent to Siberia by the rightful Empress Anna. Then returned back by another usurper - Empress Elizabeth.

Last edited:
It was rumored that he and Elizabeth Petrovna, who would have been his half aunt ( his father's half sister) were actually lovers- they were close. He led a wild life for someone who died only age 14-15.

When someone inquired to the future Tsar Peter II what he wanted most, he burst into tears and replied "never to be separated from Natalia".
The Grand Duchess Natalia was the sister of Peter II.

Peter II died so young aged just 14,his sister ,Grand Duchess Natalya also died aged just 14 years in 1728!

Back
Top Bottom