who will become the Japanese emperor in a "King Ralph" situation?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Japanese do not really care about Princess Aiko ascending the throne, I wonder why Prime Minister Koizumi was no allowed to introduce the equal primogeniture and the heir crisis was resolved by a well-timed birth of Prince Hisahito. Indeed, there are some changes, which have prompted women to rethink their role within the Japanese society by focusing on their career, delaying marriages, and postponing the childbirth. At the same time, I am sure it may take a rather long period of time to achieve true gender equality in Asian countries.

The Japan Times editorial called for Princess Aiko to become a Queen Regnant to act as a symbol for social reforms for women in Japan. Polls showed that the Japanese were largely in favour of Aiko being allowed to inherit the throne as well (80 percent I believe). In fact, I believe the only people who were against it and pressured Hisahito's parents to try for another baby were some prominent members of the RHA.

Despite polls, articles, and willingness of then Prime Minister Koizumi to address the heir issues, conservatives contrived to claim the victory. I tend to think that the IHA and conservative coutiers will likely prevent any changes in the succession rules. Let us see what happens, when Crown Prince Naruhito ascends the throne.
It appears that we have diametrically opposite views on the matter. So it would be better for us to disagree on it.

I think that women are far better in high office than men and it would be ashame if the law could not be changed to allow Aiko to become the empress even if any children she has are barred because of the apparent impurity of their blood. In my opinion, Prince Hisahito position should be slightly less elevated than Aiko's because he is the third child of the second child of an emperor and not the first child of the first child of the emperor. As such, Aiko should be elevated to a higher status. Lets face it, in terms of providing the next generation, men's physical and spiritual input into this is somewhat limited. The woman's input lasts for nine months and is physically, mentally and spiritually closer. Accordingly, womens place in society should be in a much better position than it currently is and that includes in religion too!

Lets face it, in terms of providing the next generation, men's physical and spiritual input into this is somewhat limited. The woman's input lasts for nine months and is physically, mentally and spiritually closer.

This is a very controversial (and sexist) remark :nonono: Both parents participate in the creation of a child equally. A woman has the privilege to carry the child and bring it into the world, but the child is still as much as father's as it is mother's.

This is a very controversial (and sexist) remark :nonono: Both parents participate in the creation of a child equally. A woman has the privilege to carry the child and bring it into the world, but the child is still as much as father's as it is mother's.

But surely being controversial leads to debate and allows people to make valid responses and question whether the judgement of one person is right or wrong? One has to express ones opinion based on experience or of what one sees. By responding to my post here (and to my posts about succession) I have learned that sexism works both ways and an awful lot more about the Japanese Imperial Family.

Of course sexism works both ways. I also agree that everyone has right to express their opinion. However, gender equality cannot be achieved by undermining one gender. Monarchies will exist for as long as traditions are respected and if tradition prefers males over females, then I guess we can say that monarchy is an institution based on sexism. I am not talking only about men having stronger rsuccession rights than women, but also about wife's right to enjoy her husband's title while husband usually doesn't enjoy his wife's title.

I see nothing wrong with Prince Hisahito succeeding after Prince Naruhito -- as he is still an infant and will have a lifetime to prepare for the job, as opposed to his father, who though articulate and educated has not planned to become Emperor.

I wouldn't get too carried away with modernization, whether you're just trying to be fair for ladies. I mean, at that point people could just abolish monarchies altogether.

I still think that Aiko should inherit after her father. Tradition is well and good, but even tradition needs to evolve a bit.

Aiko's succession is not the problem - the problem is succession of her children. Aiko is a male-line descendant of the Emperors of Japan and as such she could succeed just like the other eight empresses succeeded. However, Aiko's children would be male-line descendants of the Emperors of Japan only if Aiko marries a male-line descendant of the Emperors of Japan. Are there any male-line descendants of the Emperors of Japan outside the Imperial Family (descendants of the former imperial branches)?

If not, there is still hope for Aiko's succession: she could succeed and be succeeded by her cousin Hisahito or one of his sons.

Personally, I believe they should just abolish the male-primogeniture system and establish equal primogeniture. They have absorbed several western views anyway, they might as well modernize when it comes to who is the next emperor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom