Why do you like Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost everybody likes Diana because of all the good things she had done and the very human face and qualities she had projected to the world.But as for me I like and yes love Diana because she was so beautiful,stlyish,and rich.She lived a life of luxury and walked in the corridors of power.Her residence was a beautiful Royal Palace.Her wedding was spetacular.She remains an icon of ultimate top drawer affluence for me.She was Royal and Aristocratic.She really fit in the 1980's,which was a decade of power,decadence,opulence and excess.Dynasty Di or Dallas Di.Being wealthy really suited her and she gave that fantasy escape to most of us.To me she represented all things upper crust.Things that greatly appeal to me.She was what Paris Hilton and Victoria Beckham strived hard to be today.To me Diana is the original really really post modern era Rich It girl.She was in the right place and in the right time.

i think becous her hasband didnt love her, people pityed her and she was pretty and rich and sad. and there many woman like her who are sad about hasbands.

Diana had a lot of emotional intelligence and a special approach to people, plus the appropriate looks, style & grace. I feel sad when I imagine what could have been if the marriage with Charles had worked out well. She would have been a priceless asset for the monarchy and one of the most appreciated and successful CP's / Queens ever around.

no i think she helped everybody becous she was unhappy. when her merriage worked she would be normal like other princeses and queens, kind but not so much emotionally. may be as the wife of her hasbands brother.

Why do I love Diana?
As a child I always loved princesses and fairy tales with princesses. And I was fascinated when my mother told me that there are real princesses in the world. She showed me pictures of Diana, Stephanie, Anne etc. And Diana looked so friendly and her smile was so nice that she became my favourit princess. I asked my mother everything about her and at the age of 10 or 11 I found out how to get more information about her. My friends couldn't understand me but I admired Diana. Two yoers later I was fallen in love with Prince William.

I am not quite sure about the reason why a lot of people admire Diana. Maybe it is because she so friendly, helpful and beautiful but on the other hand so pitiful.
And you may not forget the power of the press. You saw her face nearly every day in the papers and you could read everything about her life. And if you read a lot of somebody, you get interested.

but above all she was a great woman!

She had class. She was beautiful and had compassion for the people. She was a natural at what she does. And she didn't dazzle because of the jewels she wore but was dazzling herself. Come to think of it, I hardly noticed the jewels or other accessories she wore because Diana the person was what I loved.

I am grateful for the ray of sunshine she was to this world.:flowers: Oh and she was a wonderful mom!! See how her sons have turned out!

Last edited:
She was the underdog and rebelled against the establishment.

She was the underdog and rebelled against the establishment.

But Diana was adored all over the world years before she began to be portrayed as an "underdog" or any kind of rebel. People took to her immediately because she seemed so warm, and so human and touchable. She was so accessible and charming compared to the stiff & formal family she was marrying into. She was seen as a breath of fresh air who rejuvenated & softened the face of the royals and people felt they could relate to her.

Last edited:
WOW! I forgot this thread existed, I must admit I have a bad habit of never venturing on second pages, only reading the first page on these forums.
Its great to see my past posts and notice the change in how I view subjects today contrast to back in 2007.
Here is my updated reason for liking Diana:

She was so relatable. When I was 10 my parents divorced, and I felt lonliness and pain that at the time I thought no one else endured. Upon reading and seeing footage of Diana address the issue of her parent's divorce, I felt a kindred spirit in her. As I was in my teens I had to deal with bouts of low self-esteem just as she did throughout her life. I also realized that Diana and I had the same dreams of family and love.
I admired how outgoing she was and how she was able to get down on a person's level. She also had an amzing fashion sense. As she became more confident in herself her looked much better; imo her outfits from the late 90s are timeless.
My favorite memory of Diana was the summer of 97 when she was vacationing with the boys. She looked so happy and strong. That year she was just glowing.

What I've learned from Diana's story is to love and live life because God only knows when we will have our last day on this planet. I believe she lived her life the best way she could.

She was a role model for me because she pushed herself out there and talked with strangers even though she was very young and apparently shy. I admired the way she seemed to be coping so well with all the pressure that she was under. Plus she was so beautiful and so well-dressed and graceful. I identified with her because I was close to her in age and surroundings---not wealthy but perhaps living a fishbowl existence on a smaller scale.

a fishbowl existence on a smaller scale.

I think what you just said Mermaid is so profound. There are so many of us who live in a fishbowl existence; I often wonder if some people even realize this.

I don't think I knew that much about her "rebellion" until after she was gone. She and I had our first children at about the same time, she married not too long after I married, there were parallels (as everyone else is saying) in her life and my life. I was embarking on a career where I had to do a lot of speaking in public, I was shy, I had far less of a sense of style. I never developed the easy manner she had with children and people she didn't know, but I learned from watching her.

I also could see that her marriage seemed less than ideal (mine was not the right marriage either) and we ended up divorcing at around the same time. I'm sure that my ex's family would have had plenty of unpleasant things to say about me (as they were never accepting of me in the first place and I could never please them - nor did I see pleasing them as one of my main goals in life, as it would have had to be, from their point of view).

Then, we were both single parents together - she with two boys, me with two girls. That's when I read the Morton book and began to see how painful, psychologically, her life in the palace had been. I'd had my own struggles with depression - but once I divorced, those evaporated almost magically. So she and I made youthful decisions we lived to regret, and I had great empathy for her struggles with body image, food, etc. I didn't know a single American woman in the late 80's to mid 90's who didn't admire her and relate to her in her struggles.

I didn't realize at the time how much the royal family was struggling with her, against her, or that the Queen had basically decreed the divorce. It just seemed inevitable - and from my point of view, mostly so that Charles could be happy with Camilla and be out in the open with that relationship.

She was a vibrant modern woman who ended up having her whole life exposed to the world (and her death), I don't think it's too sentimental to say that many of us loved her and always will, just as if she were a member of our own families (I know less about some cousins than I do about Diana, that's for sure).

I respect Diana for her compassion, for being down to earth, her approachability, for her sense of humor, her sense of fun, her sense of style, for being a good mother, her ability to make others feel special, her willingness to be a voice for those who do not have one , her ability to communicate and listen, her grace, her sensitivity, her humanity, and her courage in suffering.
For little girls, I think she represented Cinderella, but no, she was not a myth. And she was no angel, but she did have angelic qualities. There was something otherworldly about her, yet no doubt she was a real human being. If I hadd to label Diana, it would be " real life/ fairytale" not " myth"

Last edited:
I personally admire Diana because she clearly had a good heart she touched people in a way no other royal has been able too, Her love and devotion for her son's and her charities made me respect her. Despite being shy and so young she transformed the way we look at the monarchy, They seem more human to us since Diana.

I've basically liked Diana and since I've visited her exhibit, I've gained more respect for her. I have a lot of respect for those who reach out to those who have nothing. She was a people's princess in the true sense of the word.

We are both about the same age (she's a year older than me), her parents divorced when she was very young like I was. She felt lonely growing up which I did but for different reasons. She reached out to those who were unpopular, ignored or abandoned. You could carry a normal conversation with her without feeling like you had to be formal about it. She was the first royal to have a common touch with the people. Even today, a lot of royalty don't have that common touch.

It's strange to think that you could be one of the most popular women on the face of the earth and yet feel so lonely. I think she felt lonely even when she was at her peak.

It's strange to think that you could be one of the most popular women on the face of the earth and yet feel so lonely. I think she felt lonely even when she was at her peak.

I believe that was the tragedy of Marilyn Monroe as well.

Diana was a complex, unique individual with a lot of baggage that she just didn't know how to deal with. Being in the high profile position she was in the Royal family brought every minute detail of her ups and downs into the public mainstream. We saw the good, the bad and the very ugly and finally the tragic ending to a short life. Its often been said that if you look for it, out of all the negatives, you can find positives and as we watched William and Harry grow up and mature, we definitely can see their mother's influence as well as their father's. A lot of lessons were learned because of Diana and in the long run, it served to positively reinforce a lot of things in the BRF. The future King William and his wife are going to bring an era of "the people's King" to the monarchy I believe along with a big sense of duty and service to others. When we see this King and Queen Consort, we will very much see Diana's compassion, caring and her at ease with anyone reflected in how this couple is seen by the world.

Diana was a complex, unique individual with a lot of baggage that she just didn't know how to deal with. Being in the high profile position she was in the Royal family brought every minute detail of her ups and downs into the public mainstream. We saw the good, the bad and the very ugly and finally the tragic ending to a short life. Its often been said that if you look for it, out of all the negatives, you can find positives and as we watched William and Harry grow up and mature, we definitely can see their mother's influence as well as their father's. A lot of lessons were learned because of Diana and in the long run, it served to positively reinforce a lot of things in the BRF. The future King William and his wife are going to bring an era of "the people's King" to the monarchy I believe along with a big sense of duty and service to others. When we see this King and Queen Consort, we will very much see Diana's compassion, caring and her at ease with anyone reflected in how this couple is seen by the world.

Beautifully written Osipi. Bold sentences I especially agree with!

What I really liked about Diana, Princess of Wales was her ordinary qualities. I got hooked on the shy Di when she dated Prince Charles. I thought she was going to live a fairy tale. The 1980's show a beautiful, young princess raising a growing family and campaigning for humanitarian causes, especially Aids. A Princess that put her children's' well being first.

The 1992 Andrew Morton book made me a Diana fan. The fairy tale was gone and a woman with a lot of problems emerged. I felt sorry for her she seemed like a person I knew personally. I followed her humanitarian causes, separation, Charles' book, Panorama Interview, divorce and finally death.

What I think made Diana, Princess of Wales special was her way to bring out from the public; sympathy, protectiveness, and love. At her death we see this with all the flowers, etc. (I wish she knew how the common man loved her, because she never had much lasting love in her short life.) I and a lot of royal watchers will always love our human princess. I mourned her.

BTW, if you love Diana, Princess of Wales or not, she did leave a lasting legacy in her sons. The BRF will be run in a way the Princess envisioned though Prince William.:flowers:

Last edited:
I think she came across as an approachable, fun person at a time when the royal family was seen as stuffy and out of touch. I also think that women identified with her because she was a young mother.

Well said Osipi. Diana was indeed complex; imo people and even certain feelings are quite complex.

I can list so many things but the most of it, is that even with an unhappy life she was able to share so much joy and bring awareness to causes better than a lot of people who have lived longer than she did.
She really is the reason why I started to pay attention to Royal Families. In the beginning I though she was a saint. Later I found out more and more about her life. But, regardless I will always care for her deeply! sad she went so soon. Thankfully she left 2 wonderful boys and a life that will keep being cherished! When I have my kids, I'll make sure they'll know who she was :)!

I liked her because,she cared about other people,and worked hard for them

Princess Diana will always be loved and sadly missed.She was not an angel,but she introduced something more human in the relations of royalty with public and growing support for charity organizations.

Princess Diana will always be loved and sadly missed.She was not an angel,but she introduced something more human in the relations of royalty with public and growing support for charity organizations.

That was beautifully put. I think she raised awareness about issues that causes that were put on the back burner by many people. My reason for admiring her is her devotion to her sons.

I liked her because she was someone you could relate to and she dared to be herself. In many respects she was like the dutch CP Maxima (or the other way around). Laughing and crying, not afraid to show emotion when it is called for, without detracting from the respect of the people.

I liked her because she was someone you could relate to and she dared to be herself..[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head. I think that in daring to be herself, given the family she joined took a great amount of courage.
I admired her for the reliability, and the approachability!

Diana was so special, one of those people who come along once in a lifetime with that mix of modern celeb savvy and timeless royal grace and beauty. I got into the royals long after she died and see her as a unique and revered icon in the world of royalty, who even in death inspires great admiration.

I've always liked her. She seemed like a real person, someone that the average person could talk to and feel comfortable around. She was the people's princess for sure. Perhaps it was because she's in the same age group as I am.

In May I saw her clothing exhibit in Kansas City Missouri. After seeing this exhibit, I have even more respect and admiration for her. I thought I knew a lot about her but after seeing this exhibit there were a lot of things about her that I didn't know.

Although it's commom place to see young Royal women like Beatrice and Kate cuddle kids; share jokes with the public etc it all started with Diana. When she did these things it really was a bit of a revolution and the press and public were gobsmacked. Up until then everything had been really formal and then this 20 year old appeared who was so fresh and new. On top of that the public loved her because this was no shop girl. Lady Diana Spencer came from a grand and aristocratic background so had every right to be as proper and conventional as any Royal, thus the fact that she was so open and friendly endeared her to the public even more. There wasn't a snobbish bone in Diana's body which, bearing in mind who she was, remains a credit to her to this day and I suppose that is why I still like her and always will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom