Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News 4: Sep 2020- Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the occassion of the porcelein marriage of the King and Queen BNNVARA is broadcasting a 4-part documentary about the lead-up to the wedding.

The makers call it a 'political thriller' and a 'chess game'. It shows the political and diplomatic process before the wedding step by step.

Some tidbits:

- In August 1999 -only a few months after the two met in Seville- a report was made by the intelligence service about Máxima's father.

- On September 1st the Prime Minister Wim Kok was informed about the relationship.

- In September the PM discovers that there is a report. He angrily calls the Interior minister, Bram Peper. Peper should have informed the PM about the matter. However, Peper claims that he did not give an order for this investigation. So if neither the minister of Interior affairs nor the PM ordered it, who did? The royal house/ Queen? The Intelligence service acted on its own initiative?

- All alarm bells go off when it is clear Mr. Zorreguieta was part of the Videla dictatorship. Some describe it as 'panic'. It was clear tot he PM that a constitutional crisis would be an option as the prince had been clear several in an interview several years ago that he would chose love over throne.

- The PM's tactic at first was to give the country time to get used to the idea and let ministers and politicians of the government parties downplay the issue.

- This did not work when several public voices got involved. Among them the daily talk show Barend & van Dorp and former ambassador Maarten Mourik. What made matters even more complicated for the PM was that the loudest voices came from people affiliated with his own party.

- It is clear to the prime minister that a sacrifice must be made for the political class & public to accept this wedding, esp. as more and more details became known and images of shown of Zorreguieta next to Videla in a car during a parade.

- From Argentina Mr. Zorreguieta is in touch with a Dutch journalist and tries to convince him that he knew nothing. The line was: it was all very wrong what happened but I did not know. If the veneer would be scratched Mr. Zorreguieta would say things like 'they were no victims but terrorists'... Not something that would be acceptable to the Dutch government or public.

- To get all the facts in order the PM orders an investigation by Prof. Dr. Michiel baron Baud and asks minister of state Max van der Stoel to help. [Side note: Baud is the grandson of Mr. Jean Chrétien baron Baud, chamberlain of Q. Wilhelmina and private secretary of Queen Juliana).

- There were several tense meetings between the PM and the young couple or the PM, the prince and the Queen.

- Private notes of Max van der Stoel of a meeting on January 15th were shown. He talked about an emotional/angry prince, who does not yet realise what is going on. The notes mention that Queen Beatrix was shocked to hear that the presence of Mr. Z. would be unacceptable to the government, quickly realising the implications. WA wanted to go to Argentina to ask for the hand of Máxima. Something neither the PM nor Queen Beatrix think is a good idea.

- Four days later WA proposes to Máxima in The Hague. It adds (time) pressure on the process. As did Máxima's attendence of Queen Beatrix' birthday festivities a week later. Clearly things need to be resolved soon.

- Van der Stoel and the PM had to convince Queen Beatrix, the young couple and Mr. Z. that him staying away was the best option. Several meetings in the Catshuis between Van der Stoel and the couple were needed, where Máxima was emotional and often cried.

- Max van der Stoel, prof. Baud and a high ranking civil servant meet Z. and his wife in a hotel in New York. Z is charming but he does not agree with the conclusions of the report. Neither does he understand why the matter is sensitive in The Netherlands. He is worried about his social position in Argentina when he will agree not to attend the wedding. Privately he tells the Dutch journalist that the true story is not known in The Netherlands and that baron Baud is a communist.

- Some time later he is convinced to write a declaration. Translated into English by Máxima. Van der Stoel's copy is shown, with his corrections of Máxima's grammar and the highlighted parts which he found problematic.

- It led to a new meeting in São Paulo between Van der Stoel, the couple and Zorreguieta. The declaration was changed and it made it very clear that Mr. Z. would not attend the wedding 'by his own decision'. The son of Van der Stoel noted that the couple went back to the Netherlands by direct plane. But to avoid suspicion the 79 y/o Van der Stoel had to take a different flight & scale in Paris.

- At the same time a problem arose with a ruling of the court about a different issue. A few months earlier, the Amsterdam court ruled that president Desi Bouterse should be prosecuted for his part in the December murders in Suriname in 1982. The ruling was copied by lawyers by Van Mourik, who used the same argumentation to prosecute Zorreguieta in a Dutch court for crimes against humanity.

The head of the Public Prosecution Office, Jhr. Joan de Wijkerslooth de Weerdestein decided to submit a request to annul the decision to prosecute Bouterse a few days before the engagement was announced. It is suggested that he did so to protect the RF, though it is noted that the official reasoning was that the office did not think it would have the ability or capacity to prosecute all sorts of foreign criminals and dictators for crimes commited abroad, not involving Dutch citizens.

- In March the engagement was announced and a constitutional crisis was averted. It was highlighted that Mr. Z. chose not to attend the wedding. Both by the Prince of Orange and by the PM. This was nonsense. Mr. Z. told a Dutch journalist in private that he was not allowed to speak, neither was he allowed to attend.

---
Interviews with victims of the regime are followed by comments of WA and Máxima during their engagement interview. They seem naive at best. They follow the line of Mr. Z: it was all very terrible but he did not know what was going on. The official report by Prof. Baud was 'an opinion'. But this was not picked up by the media at the time, people were glad the saga came to an end and that there was a fairytale wedding on its way. Politicians highlighted that Máxima distanced herself from the Videla regime in strong words, that a daughter could not be blamed for the sins of the father etc.

The naivité of the couple is perhaps most painful when they show a clip of Mr. Z. attending [his only] public hearing in Argentina shortly after the wedding. It is about the disappearance of the daughter of a predecessor as underminister of Agriculture. The predecessor - Alberto Amigo - desperately asked Z -once according to Z.- for help, when Amigo's daughter Lidia is arrested and disappeared. A journalist notes that officials were approached by desperate parents all the time, as is stated by Z's other predecessor Mario Mandariaga. It is followed by a clip of the pre-wedding interview of the couple, where they say that Mr. Z. had no reason to lie and that both of them believed him. Lidia Amigo was never found.

---
The RF did not cooperate with the programme. Relations, friends and acquentences did not either, Neither did civil servants and obviously intelligence officers. Newspaper Trouw writes that with this silence the royal couple did not do themselves a favor.

https://www.npostart.nl/een-porseleinen-huwelijk/BV_101407116
https://www.bnnvara.nl/artikelen/een-porseleinen-huwelijk

Last edited:
---
The RF did not cooperate with the programme. Relations, friends and acquentences did not either, Neither did civil servants and obviously intelligence officers. Newspaper Trouw writes that with this silence the royal couple did not do themselves a favor.

Sorry i don't see the nead to bring this up all again. It was over 20 years ago and Mr. Zorreguieta has since passed away

In essence there is nothing new. It is like dragging a 22 years old cow to the milking machine and milk-milk-milk the empty udders to the very, very last drop of sour milk.

We already knew from the "Margarita Affair" that the intelligence- and security services suddenly act like ermine fleas, being in proactive mode and thinking how they can serve the Royal House the best, without any request from the royals themselves. (Alike the "grey men" at the Japanese Court).

Lefty folks think this is a proof the royals are powerful and have a direct link to state services. But yesterday an "expert" at one of the daily TV shows said: there are always people (like the high- and wellborn Jonkheer Joan Lodewijk de Wijkerslooth de Weerdesteyn, as chair of the College van Procureurs-Generaal the supreme chef of the public prosecution) who suddenly gave instructions to the intelligences- and security services, to the police services, etc. to do this or to do that.

And then, in a hierarchy, which staffer with a spouse, a mortgage, two children, a fat lease car, wants to say "no" when the College of Prosecutors-General suddenly orders something with a link to the Royal House? Very recognizable.

I have the same reflex. When a colleague from downstairs requests some information, I will try to help him/her when it fits in my agenda. When a colleague from the CEO office requests me something, my agenda is of no importance anymore. Yes, I have a mortgage. Yes, I have a fat lease car under my bum. Yes, I will bow and immediately show my best services. Yes, I hope I will get a higher level in my salary pyramid.

All too human: "You want an investigation, mijnheer de Procureur-Generaal? I have to go to Argentina? The father of a new girlfriend of the Prince of Orange? No one may know it, not even the minister or the Royal House? You have my word, mijnheer de Procureur-Generaal, I will book tickets at KLM right now!"

People who claim they would never do that: after WWII suddenly everyone was in the Resistance. Suuuuuuuure.

Last edited:
The Dutch royal family will discontinue the traditional photoshoot at the start of their winter holiday and the start of their summer holiday (see NOS; after reports from RTL). They intend to keep to offer two moments a year in which pictures of the family can be taken. The reason given is that they want to make sure that all 5 of them can be present for the photoshoot and this year Alexia will not be able to join them for the yearly skiing holiday in Lech because she is at boarding school in Wales.

I wonder if in turn they will allow more media attention in other ways, i think these photoshoots were meant as a trade-off for the media not photographing the family in other situations (still betting other royal families are very jealous of that deal ?)

The photoshoots remain. But no longer one in Lech and one at Huis ten Bosch. Actially I think that is refreshing. Let they make one at the Nassau Castle in Breda, or at Rocco dej Dragoni in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, or in Patagonia, not always the same two spots.

The photoshoots remain. But no longer one in Lech and one at Huis ten Bosch. Actially I think that is refreshing. Let they make one at the Nassau Castle in Breda, or at Rocco dej Dragoni in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, or in Patagonia, not always the same two spots.

Wasn't this the case earlier too. There was once one in Argentinia before Christmas and once at a beach at Scheveningen i believe etc.

On the occassion of the porcelein marriage of the King and Queen BNNVARA is broadcasting a 4-part documentary about the lead-up to the wedding.

The makers call it a 'political thriller' and a 'chess game'. It shows the political and diplomatic process before the wedding step by step.

Some tidbits:

- In August 1999 -only a few months after the two met in Seville- a report was made by the intelligence service about Máxima's father.

- On September 1st the Prime Minister Wim Kok was informed about the relationship.

- In September the PM discovers that there is a report. He angrily calls the Interior minister, Bram Peper. Peper should have informed the PM about the matter. However, Peper claims that he did not give an order for this investigation. So if neither the minister of Interior affairs nor the PM ordered it, who did? The royal house/ Queen? The Intelligence service acted on its own initiative?

- All alarm bells go off when it is clear Mr. Zorreguieta was part of the Videla dictatorship. Some describe it as 'panic'. It was clear tot he PM that a constitutional crisis would be an option as the prince had been clear several in an interview several years ago that he would chose love over throne.

- The PM's tactic at first was to give the country time to get used to the idea and let ministers and politicians of the government parties downplay the issue.

- This did not work when several public voices got involved. Among them the daily talk show Barend & van Dorp and former ambassador Maarten Mourik. What made matters even more complicated for the PM was that the loudest voices came from people affiliated with his own party.

- It is clear to the prime minister that a sacrifice must be made for the political class & public to accept this wedding, esp. as more and more details became known and images of shown of Zorreguieta next to Videla in a car during a parade.

- From Argentina Mr. Zorreguieta is in touch with a Dutch journalist and tries to convince him that he knew nothing. The line was: it was all very wrong what happened but I did not know. If the veneer would be scratched Mr. Zorreguieta would say things like 'they were no victims but terrorists'... Not something that would be acceptable to the Dutch government or public.

- To get all the facts in order the PM orders an investigation by Prof. Dr. Michiel baron Baud and asks minister of state Max van der Stoel to help.

- There were several tense meetings between the PM and the young couple or the PM, the prince and the Queen.

- Private notes of Max van der Stoel were found that talk about an emotional/angry prince. They also say that Queen Beatrix was shocked to hear that the presence of Mr. Z. would be unacceptable to the government, quickly realising the implications. WA wanted to go to Argentina to ask for the hand of Máxima. Something neither the PM nor Queen Beatrix think is a good idea.

- A day later WA proposes to Máxima in The Hague. It adds (time) pressure on the process. As did Máxima's attendence of Queen Beatrix' birthday festivities a week later. Clearly things need to be resolved soon.

- Van der Stoel and the PM had to convince Queen Beatrix, the young couple and Mr. Z. that him staying away was the best option. Several meetings in the Catshuis between Van der Stoel and the couple were needed, where Máxima was emotional.

- Max van der Stoel, prof. Baud and a high ranking civil servant meet Z. and his wife in a hotel in New York. He is charming but he does not agree with the conclusions of the report. Neither does he understand why the matter is sensitive in The Netherlands. He is also worried about his social position in Argentina when he will agree not to attend the wedding. Privately he tells the Dutch journalist that he is in touch with that in the truth is not known in The Netherlands and that baron Baud is a communist.

- Some time later he is convinced to write a declaration. Translated into English by Máxima. Van der Stoel's copy is shown, with his corrections of Máxima's grammar and the highlighted parts which he found problematic.

- It led to a new meeting in São Paulo between Van der Stoel, the couple and Zorreguieta. The declaration was changed and it made it very clear that Mr. Z. would not attend the wedding 'by his own decision'. The son of Van der Stoel noted that the couple went back to the Netherlands by direct plane. But to avoid suspicion the 79 y/o Van der Stoel had to take a different flight & scale in Paris.

- At the same time a problem arose with a ruling of the court about a different issue. A few months earlier, the Amsterdam court ruled that president Desi Bouterse should be prosecuted for his part in the December murders in Suriname in 1982. The ruling was copied by lawyers by Van Mourik, who used the same argumentation to prosecute Zorreguieta in a Dutch court for crimes against humanity.

The head of the Public Prosecution Office, Jhr. Joan de Wijkerslooth de Weerdestein decided to submit a request to annul the decision to prosecute Bouterse a few days before the engagement was announced. It is suggested that he did so to protect the RF, though it is noted that the official reasoning was that the office did not think it would have the ability or capacity to prosecute all sorts of foreign criminals and dictators for crimes commited abroad, not involving Dutch citizens.

- In March the engagement was announced and a constitutional crisis was averted. It was highlighted that Mr. Z. chose not to attend the wedding. Both by the Prince of Orange and by the PM. This was nonsense. Mr. Z. told a Dutch journalist in private that he was not allowed to speak, neither was he allowed to attend.

---
Interviews with victims of the regime are followed by comments of WA and Máxima during their engagement interview. They seem naive at best. They follow the line of Mr. Z: he did not know what was going on. The official report by Prof. Baud was 'an opinion'. But this was not picked up by the media at the time, people were glad the saga came to an end and that there was a fairytale wedding on its way. Politicians highlighted that Máxima distanced herself from the Videla regime in strong words, that a daughter could not be blamed for the sins of the father etc.

The naivité of the couple is perhaps most painful when they show a clip of Mr. Z. attending [his only] public hearing in Argentina shortly after the wedding. It is about the disappearance of the daughter of a predecessor as underminister of Agriculture. The predecessor - Alberto Amigo - desperately asked Z -once according to Z.- for help, when Amigo's daughter Lidia is arrested and disappeared. A journalist notes that officials were approached by desperate parents all the time, as is stated by Z's other predecessor Mario Mandariaga. It is followed by a clip of the pre-wedding interview of the couple, where they say that Mr. Z. had no reason to lie and that both of them believed him. Lidia Amigo was never found.

---

In these modern times, surely a royal/non-royal marriage between 2 people who love each other, is much much better than some of the 'royal' marriages in the past, arranged between 2 completely incompatible individuals for political or dynastic reasons, leading to a lifetime of unhappiness and betrayal for both?

Wasn't this the case earlier too. There was once one in Argentinia before Christmas and once at a beach at Scheveningen i believe etc.
True, although the Argentinian ones were 'additional ones' as (recently confirmed by the princess of Orange) the Argentinian press is much worse than the Dutch press.

They stated that they will no longer pose at the start of their winter and summer holidays. Nothing was said about locations. Especially the one for the summer holiday varied over the years. The winter holiday one was always in Lech (and did include the rest of the royal family at times, so I do hope they'll keep doing that one at least once in awhile).

If I understand it correctly there will be a photo session before the summer vacation and one in the autumn. Meaning there will be no session in the next month(s). The summer session will be done earlier than has been the case up to now.

I thought that the idea of the winter photo session was that they would not be photographed during their vacation. So does this mean that the press has free reign?

I have also read that Princess Amalia will be involved in the chats with the press after the session. And so will the other princesses once they have reached majority.

The streaming service 'Videoland' has announced yesterday that they will be making a series about Queen Máxima. The basis for the series will be the book of Marcia Luyten about the Queen, about the period when she left Argentina to work in Wall Street and later met the crown prince. It is supposed to be broadcasted in 2023.

https://www.nu.nl/film/6181655/videoland-maakt-dramaserie-over-leven-van-koningin-maxima.html

It will be a ghastly production probably. I can't imagine they will ask an Argentinian actress for it so she will be speaking Dutch in Argentina and NY. And the Dutch actors tend to be rather skilled in the over-acting part. I have seldom seen a good dialogue in any Dutch series, let alone those of about the Dutch monarchy. And any Dutch scenario writer loves to include rather insane and sudden outbursts of anger in the plot. But we will see...

Last edited:
In these modern times, surely a royal/non-royal marriage between 2 people who love each other, is much much better than some of the 'royal' marriages in the past, arranged between 2 completely incompatible individuals for political or dynastic reasons, leading to a lifetime of unhappiness and betrayal for both?

The Netherlands are the only monarchy where Parliament has to debate and to vote on a Bill of Consent for an intended marriage of a successor to the throne.

It has nothing to do with royal, non-royal, arranged or not arranged but with the desireability of the future new member of the Royal House.

Objection against Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti, fiancée of Prince Willem-Alexander, was that she would link the Royal House with a man who was in a military dictatorship, responsible for brutal crimes against own citizens. The Bill of Consent was approved.

Objection against Mabel Martine Wisse Smit, fiancée of Prince Johan Friso, was that she has not been totally open about a youth friendship with a later murdered criminal. The Government decided not to offer a Bill of Consent to Parliament, so it never came to a vote.

Objection against Claus von Amsberg, fiancé of Princess Beatrix, was that in WWII he served in the Wehrmacht and was actively deployed in military service. The Bill of Consent was approved.

Objection against Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme, fiancé of Princess Irene, was that he actively campaigned for the throne of Spain. The Dutch Government was not willing to bear ministerial responsibility for a member of the Royal House actively engaging in affairs of a foreign state. The Government decided not to ofer a Bill of Consent to Parliament, so it never came to a vote.

Objection (in retrosepctive) aganst Prince Bernhard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld, fiancé of Princess Juliana, was that he was a linked to the Nazi Party or organisations like the Nazi Flieger Korps (an elite club of pilots) and the Reiter SS (an elite equestrian club in the SS). The Bill of Consent was approved as it was in 1936 and way before WWII and knowlegde about Nazi crimes.

Last edited:
The streaming service 'Videoland' has announced yesterday that they will be making a series about Queen Máxima. The basis for the series will be the book of Marcia Luyten about the Queen, about the period when she left Argentina to work in Wall Street and later met the crown prince. It is supposed to be broadcasted in 2023.

https://www.nu.nl/film/6181655/videoland-maakt-dramaserie-over-leven-van-koningin-maxima.html

It will be a ghastly production probably. I can't imagine they will ask an Argentinian actress for it so she will be speaking Dutch in Argentina and NY. And the Dutch actors tend to be rather skilled in the over-acting part. I have seldom seen a good dialogue in any Dutch series, let alone those of about the Dutch monarchy. And any Dutch scenario writer loves to include rather insane and sudden outbursts of anger in the plot. But we will see...

Ghastly is too kind a word indeed Marengo...I have another word for it but that would have me banned forever from these premisses...Haha..Keep the tras bin ready for that series.Dutch actors think the world of themselves,yet the world thinks nothing of them...beside the odd exception,Rutger,Jeroen....and uh...oh,that was all...

A message from the Royal Couple for the start of the Winter Olympic Games today:

"“The Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics start today. Never before has such a large team represented the Netherlands at the Winter Games. We wish all athletes of #TeamNL good luck at #Beijing2022 and look forward to beautiful and exciting matches. Enjoy your participation!”

- King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZi0um2sk3v/

After seeing "A Porcelain Wedding": it baffled me how many state services were involved in a marriage with a simple boerentrien (a peasant girl). After all,: the intended bride was not someone like Princess Märtha Louise of Norway or Lady Gabriella Windsor, members of another royal family. Then usually negotiations are started between the two royal houses.

But that the AIVD (general intelligence- and security service) already started to investigate the antecedents of the new girlfriend and her family, that a special envoy has to travel to New York, São Paulo, whatever. That the substitute secretary-general of the Department of the Prime Minister accompanies this envoy. That the College van Procureurs-Generaal actively intervenes to obstruct any lawsuit against papa Zorreguieta, that the Prime Minister and fraction leaders go in conclave about the bride who was just a joung lady making a career in New York...

What a circus for an institute which has only a ceremonial existence. That was what surprised me. How "deep state" took a hold and went into overdrive, as if the new girlfriend was a second Anna Pavlovna Romanova wishing to have 30 courtiers from Russia following her to the Netherlands. I can easily imagine the Prince of Orange loosing any patience with the State interfering with every aspect of his liaison amoureuse.

At the other hand, once again -and already then- the Prince showed a total lack of a fine-tuned political antenna. But that is not really new. In the biographies of Queen Wilhelmina and in the three Koningsbiografieën on Willem I, Willem II and Willem III and with all the Stadtholders before them we see the same traits: feeling cornered by "The Hague", setting up the Oranjemeute (Orange Mob) against the "regents" and often acting like hedgehogs, with all quills upright.

Last edited:
`Boerentrien`?? You take that back Henry!!Fet up with your outragious comments here.

After seeing "A Porcelain Wedding": it baffled me how many state services were involved in a marriage with a simple boerentrien (a peasant girl)...

Oh, come on, Maxima is a beautiful, warm and soft women. Right what the Prince of the Netherlands was in need of!

And she is very well educated and from a landed family of "Latifundistas" - big estate and so on. Not her fault, that Argentinia has no nobility! If they had one there, her family would be noble.

Btw "Boerentrien" translates directly into the German "Bauerntriene", what implies also a bit of stupidity, what Maxima is not!

After seeing "A Porcelain Wedding": it baffled me how many state services were involved in a marriage with a simple boerentrien (a peasant girl). After all,: the intended bride was not someone like Princess Märtha Louise of Norway or Lady Gabriella Windsor, members of another royal family. Then usually negotiations are started between the two royal houses.

I think you calling a daughter of a high government official of a country with 40+ milion people a very derogatory and condescending term for a farm girl, says more about you than about her..
(for the not dutch speaking reader who has to rely on google to translate: "peasant girl" is definitely a very flattering translation for the word used)

It is just the amazement about the complete top layer of the State machinery in total overdrive, which might be somewhat understandable if Willem-Alexander came home with, name someone, Elena de Borbón or Gabriella Windsor.

Then I can imagine "negotiations" and diplomatic chessplay, yes. But all this frenzy, until up in the highest echelons of the Cabinet, the Parliament, the Justice, almost derailed in a constitutional crisis for essentially (in comparison with the named examples) a 'peasant girl' was remarkable.

Jorge himself was president of the Rural Society of Argentina. And in the documentaries we saw big landowners parading around on horseback, on their lavish fincas, wearing those red Basque berets, singing the praise of their late chief peasant, Jorge Zorreguieta.

My amazement was that probably for a Bernhard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld or a Heinrich von Mecklenburg-Schwerin the "negotiations" were a cup of tea with the Queen or so, and for a Máxima it needed tout The Hague in docile servitude because "the Prince has a new girlfriend". I doubt the servitude of 2001 is still apparent in 2021. The monarchy seems less inviolable and on the very top of society than it was then.

In reverso.com the word Boerentrien is translated as 1. a peasant girl 2. a country girl 3. a little country bumpkin 4. a provincial girl

So the high- and wellborn Jonkheer Joan Lodewijk de Wijkerslooth de Weerdesteyn, Chair of the College van Procureurs-Generaal, himself took draconic steps in other cases (blocking the prosecution in the Netherlands of the former military leader of Suriname, also an alleged murderer and drugs mafioso * ) to free the path for this Argentinean -what does reverso.com say- "a little country bumpkin". Unbelievable.

* Was the former member of the Surinam military Government prosecutable in the Netherlands, it was a precedent for a similar prosecution of the future father-in-law of the future King, for his role in the Argentinean Government during the military dictatorship. In the documentary, Ms Liebeth Zegveld, lawyer for victims of the military junta, bitterly concluded: "When they ("The Hague") want a way out, they always find a way out, then Justice looses it from politics".

Last edited:
They have a love for Andalucía. I have never understood why they did not purchase a nice villa over there. Maybe the coastline is too densely populated, compared with Greek isles.

It's where they met, so not surprising that they love to return on special occassions.

It is just the amazement about the complete top layer of the State machinery in total overdrive, which might be somewhat understandable if Willem-Alexander came home with, name someone, Elena de Borbón or Gabriella Windsor.

Then I can imagine "negotiations" and diplomatic chessplay, yes. But all this frenzy, until up in the highest echelons of the Cabinet, the Parliament, the Justice, almost derailed in a constitutional crisis for essentially (in comparison with the named examples) a 'peasant girl' was remarkable.

Yes, and the fact that you continue to refer to the Queen of your country as a “peasant girl” or "farm yokel” rather than “an educated woman of no particular status with an exceptionally problematic father” (better if he had not been a high government official in this case) really does say more about you.

Just because Maxima didn’t have a title doesn’t automatically relegate her to the status of “bumpkin”. I suspect you don’t care much about untitled nuances, though.

Bumpkin or no bumpkin -and obviously she is not- she would still become Queen of The Netherlands one day. The state apparatus would have gone go to some length to diffuse the situation, regardless of whom the bride was. The last thing anybody wanted would be a dragging constitutional crisis over such a matter with which you can not gain seats. Especially in the lead up to an election year.

Interestingly in the documentary somebody mentioned that due to his absence Jorge Zorreguieta was more present than he would otherwise have been.

--
The newspaper 'Volkskrant' wrote an article this weekend about Padre Rafael Braun, the Argentinian priest who spoke some words during the religious ceremony and sat next to Ds. ter Linden. According to the article he was 'worse' than Máxima's father.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ac...jk-komen-haar-nog-foutere-padre-wel~b7c84647/

Last edited:
Yes, and the fact that you continue to refer to the Queen of your country as a “peasant girl” or "farm yokel” rather than “an educated woman of no particular status with an exceptionally problematic father” (better if he had not been a high government official in this case) really does say more about you.

Just because Maxima didn’t have a title doesn’t automatically relegate her to the status of “bumpkin”. I suspect you don’t care much about untitled nuances, though.

It will solve itself in time. The monarchy is imploding, no one takes the King and his spouse serious, it is an ornamental curiosity in society but I sense from all sides the fundament is eroding in an ever faster pace. I can not see any regeneration, it is a lost case.

In 2050 Máxima probably will fill her days on the pampas, telling her grandkids: "Once upon a time, when I was a real Queen..."

I doubt that they would retire to the pampas... London and Greece are more likely options.

It was Sue Townsend who said that the monarchy was finished a long time ago, they are just making the corpses dance. In a way that is true, such a thing could be said in the 70ties, the 80ties already, if not earlier. But here we are in 2022, they are still around. Unless there is a substantial scandal I don't see why they can't survive for a few decades more. Though the popularity of the monarchy has suffered a hit for now there is no reason to assume that it can't recover.

Last edited:
I am afraid I am not so optimistic. I expect this year, around King's Day, we will see the traditional extensive polls and for the first time the majority will sink below the critical mass: only a minority supporting the system of hereditary kingship. It will be a deus ex machina: an unexpected twist and then things can go fast. These days the once so unthinkable is very thinkable.

... and if one falls, there will be a domino effect.

The most secure are actually the always seen as "wobbly" monarchies: Belgium and Spain. This because the very existence of the nation is at stake.

In the Netherlands the monarchy can relatively smoothly be ended, it is not that the Netherlands itself will implode as a nation. But in Spain and Belgium, seccesionist movements will grab the opportunity, as we have seen in former Czechoslovakia, in former Yugoslavia and in the former Soviet-Union.

That is why Felipe and his namesake Philippe are more secure, weird enough, than in "stable", prosperous, unitary countries like the Netherlands or Sweden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom