150th Anniversary of the Treaty of London Celebrations: May 11, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely to see them together, Stephanie and Catherine.

LaRae

I adore Kate's coat, it's one of the most elegant and beautiful things she has worn since her wedding and her hair looks gorgeous.

Stephanie looks beautiful.

Why are Daily Fail comments so nasty? What a bunch of bitter and lonely people. I need a shower after reading some of them.

Who's the woman in the pants?

LaRae

Why are Daily Fail comments so nasty? What a bunch of bitter and lonely people. I need a shower after reading some of them.

The comments section of the DM is just a merry group of Xenophobic, homophobic, jealous and frustrated trolls with Katie Hopkins as their goddess.

Anyway, it's very very nice to see Kate meddling with her continental counterparts.

Last edited:
I'm so proud of Catherine. She's a natural on these solo tours and you tell she enjoy doing them. Representing The Queen, government and U.K. very well.

I'm so proud of Catherine. She's a natural on these solo tours and you tell she enjoy doing them. Representing The Queen and government very well.

I agree. One of two more like these and she will earn her RFO fair and square ;)

I am happy it's beautiful and sunny today in the Grand Duchy and not miserable rain.;)

Are there any videos of the meeting at the Grand Ducal Palace? Tried searching online but no such luck :(

I agree. One of two more like these and she will earn her RFO fair and square ;)

I think she's already earned that. I'm waiting for her to be appointed GCVO. Good time to help mark the centenary of the House of Windsor this year. :flowers:

It was nice to see the Duchess with the HGD couple. I think it's good for William and Kate to have at least some personal connections with royals their own age. I can remember them meeting with the Danish and Dutch royals, and they may see the Spanish monarchs in July, but these couples are all significantly older than William and Catherine and in different stages of life. And of course the next generation down for many European houses are still children.

The Luxembourg couple, Victoria and Daniel, William and Kate.. there really aren't many higher ranking royals in their 30s with small children, or am I forgetting some?

It was nice to see the Duchess with the HGD couple. I think it's good for William and Kate to have at least some personal connections with royals their own age. I can remember them meeting with the Danish and Dutch royals, and they may see the Spanish monarchs in July, but these couples are all significantly older than William and Catherine and in different stages of life. And of course the next generation down for many European houses are still children.

The Luxembourg couple, Victoria and Daniel, William and Kate.. there really aren't many higher ranking royals in their 30s with small children, or am I forgetting some?

Age does not matter. They're all royal colleagues.

i am also happy to see all the GD family in (almost) full welcoming kate (including alexandra, who does usually not attend these events) in the palace, and that stephanie accompanied her too during the event. is there any footage of the reception / the photo opp?

Age does not matter. They're all royal colleagues.

I disagree. Age doesn't matter during official events, and William and Catherine will be doing more of these as time goes on. They'll show up and do what's expected of them, whether the event involves an American President, a 75 year old King or a group of six year olds presenting them with flowers.

On a personal level age does matter. I don't expect we'll ever see William and Catherine become regular attendees at events like, say, the recent birthday celebrations in Norway. But it would be nice to see them at least sometimes interacting with other royal families on a level more personal than "royal colleagues" as you put it. The royals I see this most likely to happen with are those who are around the same age and life stage as William and Kate.

I think the British Government should just send Kate to more foreign events like this. She may seem a little shy but that's understandable. However, she interacts with the foreign royals well and still has her friendly ( and sometimes cute ) personality. Give her a few more opportunities and I think she will grow in her role.

William and Harry? Nah. They have many past opportunities where they could have interacted with foreign royals, but chose to ignore it. Pity. And even when they do, William is too uptight and Harry just has a blank look. It also seems that when Kate is with William, she tends to be more 'quiet' in order not to overshadow her husband.

According to the CC Sir Christopher Geidt and Sir David Manning went with the Duchess today.

I agree with shereeclaire - Catherine is good on her own. Said this as far back as 2012 when she did well without William and he was in the Falklands.

Today, she even posed for photos (in addition to formal pix).

Let her fly - she is so good engaging with people at all levels. I think William holds her back.

According to the CC Sir Christopher Geidt and Sir David Manning went with the Duchess today.

I agree with shereeclaire - Catherine is good on her own. Said this as far back as 2012 when she did well without William and he was in the Falklands.

Today, she even posed for photos (in addition to formal pix).

Let her fly - she is so good engaging with people at all levels. I think William holds her back.

I agree that Catherine is very good on the royal stage on these solo visits.

I do take issue with people saying that William holds her back. I think she naturally allow him to take the lead when they do joint engagements and foreign visits. Sadly, if she's too engaging and forward on the joint trips, people will accuse her of trying to upstage her husband, the future King. A Chuck and Di situation all over again.

If she's with William at an event it seems natural that he would take the lead and I don't think it's got a thing to do with him trying to hold her back. I think they are very much partners.

LaRae

If she's with William at an event it seems natural that he would take the lead and I don't think it's got a thing to do with him trying to hold her back. I think they are very much partners.

LaRae

I agree they're partners and work as a team. I enjoy them on joint engagements and trips, but I also enjoy seeing Catherine on the royal stage in her own right. I think it shows she's gained a great deal of confidence and knowledge on her senior role within the family. William must be very proud of his wife. William told royal photographer, Arthur Edwards, "that's why I married her" when Edwards remarked on the brilliant job Catherine did on the Southeast Asian Tour. He knows she can handle to the job.

I don't think he holds her back, but I think he has been cautious to not put too much on her all at once. I think the whole family has tried not to do that to her. It was done to her late mother-in-law and it didn't work out too well.

Last edited:
Yes it's been very apparent for a long time that they are trying to do everything they can to avoid the mistakes made with Diana and for good reason.

She seems to do very well with these individual appearances. She seemed very relaxed and natural with Stephanie in the video I saw. But really she comes across that way on any events now.

LaRae

Yes it's been very apparent for a long time that they are trying to do everything they can to avoid the mistakes made with Diana and for good reason.

She seems to do very well with these individual appearances. She seemed very relaxed and natural with Stephanie in the video I saw. But really she comes across that way on any events now.

LaRae

I think the cautious approach by William and the family has lead to people and media to thinking that she's "lazy" and don't want to be involved much. I think she's has gone on to prove this to be hugely false.

I think Catherine is very relaxed but, alert, on the job. None of it is easy though. That's part of the royal magic, making it seem like it's a piece of cake. It takes a whole team to make it work.

Place Royale has a short video of the photo op at the palace. Blinding camera flashes and then the departure.
https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyale/videos/10154357900737161/

I wish Princess Alexandra stood facing forward like the others, instead of at a slight angle. Looks a bit odd.

The Cour's gallery and Luxarazzi report:
Célébrations du 150ème anniversaire de la signature du Traité de Londres - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Mai 2017

Luxarazzi: The Duchess of Cambridge Visits Luxembourg

Even if she was standing differently her clothing makes her stand out because it's different than the other women.

LaRae

On a joint engagement William has to take the lead because he is the royal. Kate is just the spouse. William is going to greeted first, etc. It's the same with the Queen and Philip, Philip doesn't take the lead during the engagement.

Back
Top Bottom