Ali and Rym: their backgrounds and future roles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
of what nationality is Rym's mom?, I read That she isn't algerian like lakhdar brahimi

suria said:
this would be nice if Rym did that i bit that PA loved it her dress was so nice surly it means something to wear this dress its not an ordaniray one but its great

she is Algerian and they must have a traditional dress maybe she love PA more than her country she wanted to satisfy him she was so happy in her wedining day

Does anyone know where Rym was born? I mean her family lives in France, but was she born elsewhere?

I agree that the best thing Ali has done in years seems to have been the choice of a wife who hopefully will be supportive of him, rather than hog the limelight for herself, and use him as a meal ticket, and will encourage him to 'get a life'. Hitherto,although much is made of Prince Ali accompanying the king on various trips, be they within Jordan or abroad, what does he actually do or say on these trips rather than physically be there ( and look compassionate ! )? Also he is ' in charge of the king's protection' but there is also highly trained crack regiment within the Jordanian army, under the command of a Brigadier, who do just that. Again, Prince Ali may sit in in some political meetings, but there is usually the Prime Minister, and other senior officials, and when these meetings are reported on, or the follow-up done, again actually some else who is doing the talking, calling the shots etc.Even Princes Feisal , Ghazi and Rashid have clear responsibilities in areas where they head meetings and give statements etc. appear to be in charge ( I know there is the football, and it is very important to the younger generation, but apart from that ? ) When Prince Hassan used to accompany the King Hussein, he was obviously an active participant in the discussions and the decision making process. Maybe Prince Ali is a wise ' eminence gris' behind the scenes, but I somehow doubt it. I get the feeling that this is much more perhaps a kind attempt on the part of the king to give him some sort of role that looks good and gives him some perks. I sincerely hope that Princess Rym helps him to develop his own interests and guides him down an independent path. He will be 30 this year ; it will become increasingly difficult to make a drastic life style change unless he does it soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
shelley said:
I agree that the best thing Ali has done in years seems to have been the choice of a wife who hopefully will be supportive of him, rather than hog the limelight for herself, and use him as a meal ticket, and will encourage him to 'get a life'. Hitherto,although much is made of Prince Ali accompanying the king on various trips, be they within Jordan or abroad, what does he actually do or say on these trips rather than physically be there ( and look compassionate ! )? Also he is ' in charge of the king's protection' but there is also highly trained crack regiment within the Jordanian army, under the command of a Brigadier, who do just that. Again, Prince Ali may sit in in some political meetings, but there is usually the Prime Minister, and other senior officials, and when these meetings are reported on, or the follow-up done, again actually some else who is doing the talking, calling the shots etc.Even Princes Feisal , Ghazi and Rashid have clear responsibilities in areas where they head meetings and give statements etc. appear to be in charge ( I know there is the football, and it is very important to the younger generation, but apart from that ? ) When Prince Hassan used to accompany the King Hussein, he was obviously an active participant in the discussions and the decision making process. Maybe Prince Ali is a wise ' eminence gris' behind the scenes, but I somehow doubt it. I get the feeling that this is much more perhaps a kind attempt on the part of the king to give him some sort of role that looks good and gives him some perks. I sincerely hope that Princess Rym helps him to develop his own interests and guides him down an independent path. He will be 30 this year ; it will become increasingly difficult to make a drastic life style change unless he does it soon.

first of all i want to ask you if are watching Jordan News , as i felt like am out of this , i never seen any prince talk in a meeting ,they only set thats all , but Ali participate in those meeting i always see him talk to other and share in meeting , for example Gorege w. Bush sent more time when he say Hi to Ali than Abdullah , so i don't know what you are talking a bout , you talking like other princes do something to their country , i live in Jordan and know that no one of them even saw y people, Ali's name in every home here , so lets be on the ground , i wonder whats you want from him to do , what Hamaza and Hashim did they even don't spend anytime here in Jordan , Ali is working and trying to be better person , we have to support him as , he is responsible on many project here in Jordan but he didn't mention his name , many youth are working in this project , he is responsible of a newspaper here in Jordan very strong one , and he is working on new project , i hope this is enough for you , tell what other princes do , as you say :confused:

Actually, I do watch Jordanian news, and have been watching it whenever I can on and off for over twenty five years. I also read the Jordanian press. You do see some of the princes and princesses making statements concerning their areas of responsibility. Several years ago, when Prince Hassan attended meetings together with his brother the late king he was certainly an active participant and the king would then often give him the responsibility of following through on many subjects. I have personally never ever seen a statement attributed to Prince Ali except in the area of football. I am therefore delighted to hear that his presence at these important talks is substantive and not just a photo opportunity., and that he also has areas of responsibility that the general public is unaware of. I have heard and read reports of Princes Feisal, Ghazi and Rashid's statements and activities pertaining to their various responsibilities. Prince Talal has had to battle ill health and so it is difficult for him to hold down regular work. Princes Hamzah and Hashim are still at university, so it would be difficult to entrust them with anything to demanding as yet. I also hope that Prince Ali will attend Staff College before he progresses further in the army, as the then Prince Abdullah and Prince Feisal have done. This is just my opinion, and of course someone who lives in the country may have a totally different take on the situation, and for all we know, Prince Ali is a stong, silent individual who just likes to work out of the limelight and gets a lot done. I just hope for his sake what he is doing which gives him job satisfaction and self esteem.

Last edited:
shelley said:
This is just my opinion, and of course someone who lives in the country may have a totally different take on the situation, and for all we know, Prince Ali is a stong, silent individual who just likes to work out of the limelight and gets a lot done.

Funny you should say this because I thought I read some place where he doesn't like being in the "spot light"....He kind of stays in the background as much as possible...I'm surprised we see as many pictures of him as we do, but I'm not complaining. :cool: :) ;)

shelley said:
Actually, I do watch Jordanian news, and have been watching it whenever I can on and off for over twenty five years. I also read the Jordanian press. You do see some of the princes and princesses making statements concerning their areas of responsibility. Several years ago, when Prince Hassan attended meetings together with his brother the late king he was certainly an active participant and the king would then often give him the responsibility of following through on many subjects. I have personally never ever seen a statement attributed to Prince Ali except in the area of football. I am therefore delighted to hear that his presence at these important talks is substantive and not just a photo opportunity., and that he also has areas of responsibility that the general public is unaware of. I have heard and read reports of Princes Feisal, Ghazi and Rashid's statements and activities pertaining to their various responsibilities. Prince Talal has had to battle ill health and so it is difficult for him to hold down regular work. Princes Hamzah and Hashim are still at university, so it would be difficult to entrust them with anything to demanding as yet. I also hope that Prince Ali will attend Staff College before he progresses further in the army, as the then Prince Abdullah and Prince Feisal have done. This is just my opinion, and of course someone who lives in the country may have a totally different take on the situation, and for all we know, Prince Ali is a stong, silent individual who just likes to work out of the limelight and gets a lot done. I just hope for his sake what he is doing which gives him job satisfaction and self esteem.

sure you have to live in Jordan to understand the way of their work , PA is the responsible of many projects here , they even don't say his name this is how he works , for example he is the responsible of that newspaper and only the employees some of them know that PA is the manager and they don't say it, this is what i mean when i say PA is working , he is now working on something else , so PA is a silent individual , in Jordan we don't care a bout what Gazi or others do they just working to spend time , most of the Jordanian don't know how they are look like , so its not that we see Ali a lot, his work with Abdullah implies that he is on the event and he has to be seen , in Football most of his visit to the federation are not photographed they just say PA do this or visited them , we have to be close to see the truth of most of them , PHassan was a special case in KA period no one is like him , but we can say that PA is the closet , he doing his job and he is helping a lot of people here in Jordan but never say , we just know form those people , so if we want to be fair we have to give him his right position

sommone said:
Funny you should say this because I thought I read some place where he doesn't like being in the "spot light"....He kind of stays in the background as much as possible...I'm surprised we see as many pictures of him as we do, but I'm not complaining. :cool: :) ;)

What I know is that he doesn't have the choice ... Ali didn't have the chance like the rest of his brothers.... his job is to protect the king....
and to stay in the background always.....
he will never have the chance to be in ths spotlight....
His father alos skipped him when he chose Abdullah to be a king and Hamza Crown Prince
he never gave him a position nor a proper job

El Jood said:
What I know is that he doesn't have the choice ... Ali didn't have the chance like the rest of his brothers.... his job is to protect the king....
His father alos skipped him when he chose Abdullah to be a king and Hamza Crown Prince

I just meant that he doesn't seek the attention of the press when he and KA are out in public. I mean photos are still taken of him on a regular basis...while on the job. However as Suria stated, if he wasn't at his job, there probably wouldn't be as many recent photos of him taken.:cool:

El Jood said:

we were talking a bout having many pictures of PA , while he said in one of his interviews that he hate to be in the spotlight , and i think he was honest when he said so , as we only started to see him when he worked with the king , before that it was rarely to hear a bout him.

Ali didn't have the chance to appear, but now he is doing a good job being a prince doesn't mean setting at home and reads newspapers , he is the only prince who is working a hard job and with no advantages , so Ali is acting like an ordinary person , and i admire that a lot, while he can just opens meatings and centers like others do .....

suria said:
he is the only prince who is working a hard job and with no advantages , so Ali is acting like an ordinary person , and i admire that a lot, while he can just opens meatings and centers like others do .....

Maybe a slight over statement of the case ? Prince Ali certainly does have certain advantages due to who he is, all the princes and princesses do. that is how the system works. I think you under-estimate what some of the other members of the royal family do - for sure, some are only ribbon cutting but a fair number of them back this up with substantive work. For instance I know for a fact that Prince Rashid is often in Ruwaishid, and in meetings with the UNCHR and other refugee/human rights organisations in Jordan and outside. He too doesn't put much of what he is doing in the press. And in the sports line, he is not only a patron of the Polo team, but is actually a strong player who represents his country in that sport, and is a member of a couple of international teams. Prince Feisal works very hard in building the sports profile of Jordan and in trade relations. He is both a highly qualified air force officer and has a university degree from Brown University and an MBA from London University. Prince Ghazi, Prince Zeid, Prince Firas; all well educated and working diligently in their respective areas. So please do not let your love and admiration for one prince let you belittle all the others.

shelley said:
Maybe a slight over statement of the case ? Prince Ali certainly does have certain advantages due to who he is, all the princes and princesses do. that is how the system works. I think you under-estimate what some of the other members of the royal family do - for sure, some are only ribbon cutting but a fair number of them back this up with substantive work. For instance I know for a fact that Prince Rashid is often in Ruwaishid, and in meetings with the UNCHR and other refugee/human rights organisations in Jordan and outside. He too doesn't put much of what he is doing in the press. And in the sports line, he is not only a patron of the Polo team, but is actually a strong player who represents his country in that sport, and is a member of a couple of international teams. Prince Feisal works very hard in building the sports profile of Jordan and in trade relations. He is both a highly qualified air force officer and has a university degree from Brown University and an MBA from London University. Prince Ghazi, Prince Zeid, Prince Firas; all well educated and working diligently in their respective areas. So please do not let your love and admiration for one prince let you belittle all the others.

well is it me who belittle other princes or you always belittle Ali , you always talking a bout his education and he is little than others , which is very far from the truth that Ali is an educated prince , and am talking a bout achievements not only words, we have to talk a bout the popularity and how Ali gained all the youth hearts , and he is the star of his family , i know a lot a bout him and a bout what he do believe me her is doing a great things and didn't say iit he even hide it , so why you can't see that , i keep telling you a bout what he is doing and you just ignore it , its your opinion but i am telling you as a Jordanian living in the middle of Amman what we think a bout him , so in your opinion Ali did nothing and all of this because he didn't finish his education , if valuing people like this its up to you , and by the way Ali set on the floor of the plan when he was with the players just to talk to them , so tell me who is even talk to people

suria said:
well is it me who belittle other princes or you always belittle Ali , you always talking a bout his education and he is little than others , which is very far from the truth that Ali is an educated prince , and am talking a bout achievements not only words, we have to talk a bout the popularity and how Ali gained all the youth hearts , and he is the star of his family , i know a lot a bout him and a bout what he do believe me her is doing a great things and didn't say iit he even hide it , so why you can't see that , i keep telling you a bout what he is doing and you just ignore it , its your opinion but i am telling you as a Jordanian living in the middle of Amman what we think a bout him , so in your opinion Ali did nothing and all of this because he didn't finish his education , if valuing people like this its up to you , and by the way Ali set on the floor of the plan when he was with the players just to talk to them , so tell me who is even talk to people

I'm afraid shelley only values what P Hassan and his wife and kids are doing. Only them.... no other JRF member.....

tipper said:
I'm afraid shelley only values what P Hassan and his wife and kids are doing. Only them.... no other JRF member.....

Not entirely true. I do think that some people on this forum have an incomplete picture of that family, but I was in this case responding to Suria's remark which I quoted earlier : " he is the only prince who is working a hard job and with no advantages , so Ali is acting like an ordinary person , and I admire that a lot, while he can just opens meatings and centers like others do ....." Because I follow the El Hassan family's doings closely, I am particularly aware of what they do, but as I said, there are many young princes who are working at responsible jobs, some appointed to their duties by the king, and others on their own account. Suria's comment is just not accurate.

shelley said:
Because I follow the El Hassan family's doings closely, I am particularly aware of what they do, but as I said, there are many young princes who are working at responsible jobs, some appointed to their duties by the king, and others on their own account.

You said "there are many young princes who are working at responsible jobs, and others on their own account"....We are talking Hashemite princes, right? I mean I assumed that you were talking about them, but just for clarification this is why I ask. So if we are talking about Hashemite princes then which ones are working independently? Because from where I see it, most of them are living in Jordan correct? And even if they were not "appointed" to their positions by the king, then I'm sure they acquired their positions without difficulty due to the fact they are Hashemites. Now don't get me wrong, I realize that several of them hold degrees, and probably are actually qualified to do their jobs, but still, I'm sure being a Hashemite in Jordan goes a very long way. :)

Geez...I thought this whole subforum was about the JRF, the HAshemite JRF. Anyway everytime I go to this thread I feel like getting my fiddle out and playing a sad song. Sure he has suffered cuz his mom died and maybe he isn't the most educated and stuff, but can't their be more postive things? I think he contributes to the JRF in a very positive way. Do we have to talk about all these conspiracy theories and soap opera like situations? But then again the whole JRF is like a soap opera. Anyway I am sure he is a very happy man now. And I do give credit to KA for giving him some attention.

What does Rym do now? I know she was a journalist before marriage, and I used to watch her on CNN. Does she have royal duties as a princess? I hope she doesn't put to waste that good brain of hers.

planetcher said:
What does Rym do now? I know she was a journalist before marriage, and I used to watch her on CNN. Does she have royal duties as a princess? I hope she doesn't put to waste that good brain of hers.

she usually patronizes events , that P Ali is responsible of , like curcasian events , and football for women , that’s all for now , but i heard that she will work in some Arabic station for news , i don't know if this is true , but after having Jalilah maybe she will keep a low profile :eek:

Do u have any pics of Princess Rym when she was still an anchor of CNN?..I watch CNN and I am trying to remember if I have seen her..Maybe I have seen her anchoring news many times, I just had no idea that shes going to be a princess someday..

Last edited:
I have long wondered the same thing. I watch CNN regularly and have for years but don't recall her at all. Perhaps a photo would jog my memory. Was she anchor or correspondent--or both? I thought I'd read she'd gone many places and covered a number of stories with CNN--kind of "paying her dues" so to speak.
Mahoogie said:
Do u have any pics of Princess Rym when she was still an anchor of CNN?..I watch CNN and I am trying to remember if I have seen her..Maybe I have seen her anchoring news many times, I just have no idea that shes going to be a princess someday..

maryshawn said:
I have long wondered the same thing. I watch CNN regularly and have for years but don't recall her at all. Perhaps a photo would jog my memory. Was she anchor or correspondent--or both? I thought I'd read she'd gone many places and covered a number of stories with CNN--kind of "paying her dues" so to speak.

i never watched CNN and i will never do , so i didn't knew her before , but i heard many great things about her when she became a princess, i was surprised that many members know her and admire her intelligent and her personality , she worked in Kusovo and in Iraq this is what i read , i will try to find a photo for her ...;)

this was writtin by angelfire web site about PA

HRH Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein was born on December 23rd, 1975. He is the half brother of King Abdullah, Prince Faisal, Prince Hamzah and Prince Hashem. He has one full sister, Princess Haya. His half sisters are Princess Alia, Princess Zain, Princess Aisha, Princess Iman and Princess Raiyah.

Prince Ali and Princess Haya's mother, the late Queen Alia, died in a helicopter crash in 1977. "I was a child that needed his mother's LOVE," says Prince Ali. The late Queen Alia had died when Prince Ali was only 2 years old!

Prince Ali's main job is to help keep strong foreign relations with other countries, but he also travels a lot with his brother King Abdullah.

Although Prince Ali hates to wear suits and ties, he still has really great taste in choosing them! He always likes to be in style and changes the way he looks every now and then!

HRH doesn't like to be seen as a Prince! That's why he loves it when he goes to London and to the States! People who have met him, describe him as a very humble and fun person to be with!

You might see Prince Ali smiling & laughing a lot, but if you look carefully into his beautiful eyes, you'll always find a sadness within them! He is probably the most sensitive one among his brothers and sisters.

Ah, yes, thank you, that helps! I recall reading she had worked in Iraq and Kusovo, too. I was also surprised at how many members knew of and liked her and were quite familiar with her work at CNN. I must have seen her and it's just not registering--so if you come across a photo, please post. (I'll try to look some more, as well).:) I just think she is a lovely person and they are a wonderful couple! A photo of their daughter would be nice to see but I suppose we will one day soon! Being public personages--Ali as Prince and Rym as a TV personality--perhaps they guard their personal life that much more closely????
suria said:
i never watched CNN and i will never do , so i didn't knew her before , but i heard many great things about her when she became a princess, i was surprised that many members know her and admire her intelligent and her personality , she worked in Kusovo and in Iraq this is what i read , i will try to find a photo for her ...;)

KH paid careful attention to his wardrobe so perhaps he gets this from his father! He always looks well dressed--as does Princess Rym. As for needing his mother's love, I'm sure this is true. If I'm not mistaken, he regularly visits her grave/tomb on the anniversaries of her death--and I once read her birthday, too. He seems very sensitive to matters regarding QA and still reveres her memory. I have always thought February 7th and 9th must be hard days for him and his sisters as their parents died so close together in terms of those dates. I know P Haya has written she and Abir tried to fill the void but clearly, however well intentioned, they were so young, to do so would be impossible.
suria said:
this was writtin by angelfire web site about PA

HRH Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein was born on December 23rd, 1975. He is the half brother of King Abdullah, Prince Faisal, Prince Hamzah and Prince Hashem. He has one full sister, Princess Haya. His half sisters are Princess Alia, Princess Zain, Princess Aisha, Princess Iman and Princess Raiyah.

Prince Ali and Princess Haya's mother, the late Queen Alia, died in a helicopter crash in 1977. "I was a child that needed his mother's LOVE," says Prince Ali. The late Queen Alia had died when Prince Ali was only 2 years old!

Prince Ali's main job is to help keep strong foreign relations with other countries, but he also travels a lot with his brother King Abdullah.

Although Prince Ali hates to wear suits and ties, he still has really great taste in choosing them! He always likes to be in style and changes the way he looks every now and then!

HRH doesn't like to be seen as a Prince! That's why he loves it when he goes to London and to the States! People who have met him, describe him as a very humble and fun person to be with!

You might see Prince Ali smiling & laughing a lot, but if you look carefully into his beautiful eyes, you'll always find a sadness within them! He is probably the most sensitive one among his brothers and sisters.

maryshawn said:
KH paid careful attention to his wardrobe so perhaps he gets this from his father! He always looks well dressed--as does Princess Rym. As for needing his mother's love, I'm sure this is true. If I'm not mistaken, he regularly visits her grave/tomb on the anniversaries of her death--and I once read her birthday, too. He seems very sensitive to matters regarding QA and still reveres her memory. I have always thought February 7th and 9th must be hard days for him and his sisters as their parents died so close together in terms of those dates. I know P Haya has written she and Abir tried to fill the void but clearly, however well intentioned, they were so young, to do so would be impossible.

sure, PH and Ali always show their love to QA , they mention her and for PA he always visits her grave , their nothing harder than losing your mother , i can't imagine how its like to lose your parents , and to have their death memory that close , PA is so sensitive not only when its about his mother , in everything you feel how sensitive he is , when he and KA visited hospital after Mohammed Al Doura death, KA was to talking to the Palestinian ambassador and PA was standing , and I saw the tears in his eyes , he was trying hardly not to cry i have it on tape I wish I can post it some day , he is great his eyes talking about his feelings, he loves his people and feel with them , and this is what makes him special .

he always shows that he has the right to live the way he likes , so he wears Jeins and cut his her bald , goes to simple coffee shops , and he always looks charming :)

maryshawn said:
Ah, yes, thank you, that helps! I recall reading she had worked in Iraq and Kusovo, too. I was also surprised at how many members knew of and liked her and were quite familiar with her work at CNN. I must have seen her and it's just not registering--so if you come across a photo, please post. (I'll try to look some more, as well).:) I just think she is a lovely person and they are a wonderful couple! A photo of their daughter would be nice to see but I suppose we will one day soon! Being public personages--Ali as Prince and Rym as a TV personality--perhaps they guard their personal life that much more closely????

:) she is so simple , the way she dress, even now she is a princess but she wears very simple clothes , her haier is so normal , no make up , i think she still living an ordianry life with PA , and maybe PA likes her this way , now after they had their little baby for sure their love wil grow more and more , i hople the best for the cutest family

Thank you, Little Star! Now that I see the shots of her reporting, it's jogging my memory bank and I do recall her on CNNi. This is most helpful and I appreciate the time and effort as I have searched and found nothing till you posted these shots!

Thanks for the pictures. Too bad she isn't able to pursue reporting in Jordan. It just seems such a waste of her skills to be doing nothing besides patronizing an event every now and again. I'm sure though at the moment, she has her hands full with her baby...I remember those days when my daughter was as young as hers is now.

sommone said:
Thanks for the pictures. Too bad she isn't able to pursue reporting in Jordan. It just seems such a waste of her skills to be doing nothing besides patronizing an event every now and again. I'm sure though at the moment, she has her hands full with her baby...I remember those days when my daughter was as young as hers is now.
i agree with you , i don't think PR will do nothing but patronizing events , i think she can't just set at home and play the princess role , but as you said now she had a little baby and she must take care of her , who knows maybe after a while we will see her works in a different field :)

dose anybody know if Rym had other relationships before her marriage ??????

Princess Rym was 34 years old when she meets Prince Ali. She was not 14. So i think that is normal that she had other relationships before marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom