Charlene Wittstock's Education & Swimming Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
smush - Charlene may have had to give up smoking ! PA is a non-smoker....

I certainly hope so. I think it doesn't suit her!
And if she wants to have babies soon it's not on anyway ;)

Time to get back to the topic of this thread - which is not smoking - thanks!

Does anyone know whether she still swims on a daily basis, and whether she has taught any youngsters to swim ?

And if she does still swim on a daily basis does she do it in the pool by the palace or at a local swimming bath in Monaco?!

In an interview, Charlene said she liked to jog to Cap D'Ail and swim at a private location there. I think she may be helping the Monaco swimmers also. The coach said she was really good at starts and turns.

Sie schwamm in ihrer aktiven Zeit nicht nur Freistil, Rücken sondern war auch erfolgreich im Brustschwimmen.
In Berlin war sie im Jahr 2000,2002 und 2003, ihre Schwimmzeiten waren immer sehr konstant- sie war wirklich gut.
50 m Rücken 29.18
100m Rücken 1: 02.42
200m Rücken 2: 14.67
Ich kenne sie in der Zeit von 1994 bis 2007. im Jahr 2007 hat sie ihren Titel im Rückenschwimmen , in Südafrika verteidigen können. Es ist schade das sie dann aufgehört hat.
Eine Lagenstaffel wird wie folgt geschwommen. Rücken, Brust, Schmetterling, Freistil ( Kraul ).

Charlene war 17 Jahre alt , als sie ihre Schullaufbahn beendete.Auch in Deutschland gehen viele Schüler nach 10 Jahren Schule ab. Sie spricht drei Sprachen. In einem Interview sagte Albert einmal er kann weder Afrikaans noch Zulu ( isi zulu) reden.Charlene schimpft gerne in Afrikaans, das ist ihre Muttersprache, dann kommt erst Englisch. Da sie aber in Simbabwe geboren wurde , müßte sie auch Shona sprechen können, da diese Sprache dort seit 1980 Pflichtsprache ist. Mit ihrem Trainingspartner, Terence Parkin, kommuniziert sie in der Gebärdensprache.Sie war eine fleissige Schülerin und sie lernt auch sehr schnell. Französisch versteht sie sehr gut, redet aber noch nicht gern,da sie es bei einem Interview noch nicht gut genug kontrollieren kann. Und ihr wißt doch auch, das vieles falsch übersetzt wird. Sie ist sehr , sehr vorsichtig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sie schwamm in ihrer aktiven Zeit nicht nur Freistil, Rücken sondern war auch erfolgreich im Brustschwimmen.
In Berlin war sie im Jahr 2000,2002 und 2003, ihre Schwimmzeiten waren immer sehr konstant- sie war wirklich gut.
50 m Rücken 29.18
100m Rücken 1: 02.42
200m Rücken 2: 14.67
Ich kenne sie in der Zeit von 1994 bis 2007. im Jahr 2007 hat sie ihren Titel im Rückenschwimmen , in Südafrika verteidigen können. Es ist schade das sie dann aufgehört hat.
Eine Lagenstaffel wird wie folgt geschwommen. Rücken, Brust, Schmetterling, Freistil ( Kraul ).
Translation from German
She swam in her playing days not only freestyle, back, but was also successful in the breaststroke.
In Berlin, she was in 2000.2002 and 2003, their swim times were always very consistent, it was really good.
50 m backstroke 29.18
100m Freestyle 1: 02:42
200m Back 2: 14.67
I know them in the period from 1994 to 2007. In 2007, she has her title in the backstroke, can defend in South Africa. It is a pity that she has quit the band.
A medley relay is swum as follows. Backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, freestyle (front crawl).
Charlene war 17 Jahre alt , als sie ihre Schullaufbahn beendete.Auch in Deutschland gehen viele Schüler nach 10 Jahren Schule ab. Sie spricht drei Sprachen. In einem Interview sagte Albert einmal er kann weder Afrikaans noch Zulu ( isi zulu) reden.Charlene schimpft gerne in Afrikaans, das ist ihre Muttersprache, dann kommt erst Englisch. Da sie aber in Simbabwe geboren wurde , müßte sie auch Shona sprechen können, da diese Sprache dort seit 1980 Pflichtsprache ist. Mit ihrem Trainingspartner, Terence Parkin, kommuniziert sie in der Gebärdensprache.Sie war eine fleissige Schülerin und sie lernt auch sehr schnell. Französisch versteht sie sehr gut, redet aber noch nicht gern,da sie es bei einem Interview noch nicht gut genug kontrollieren kann. Und ihr wißt doch auch, das vieles falsch übersetzt wird. Sie ist sehr , sehr vorsichtig.
Charlene was 17 years old when their school career in Germany beendete.Auch many students go off after 10 years of school. She speaks three languages​​. Albert said in an interview once, he can either Afrikaans or Zulu (Zulu isi) reden.Charlene scolds you in Afrikaans, which is their native language, English comes first. But since she was born in Zimbabwe, they should also be able to speak Shona, because this language is there from 1980 language. Communicates with her training partner, Terence Parkin, it was in the Gebärdensprache.Sie a diligent student, and she learns very quickly. French she understands very well, but still do not like talking because they do not check in an interview well enough. And you know but also that much is mistranslated. It is very, very careful.

charlene

Charlene was 17 years old when their school career in Benoni finish.

20. /21.05.2000 Monte Carlo

50m backstroke 29:49
100m backstroke 1:02.69
200m backstroke 2:14.67

12./13.06. 2001

50m backstroke 30:14
100m backstroke 1:04.22
200m backstroke 2:16.43

I think in her interviews and from her publich appearances we can see that she is well-raised,smart and nice so I don´t understand why she is critisized that much.I know a lot of ppl who went to University or finished with A-levels and don´t succeed in life or make stupid things all the time...There are also royals that were bad at school-just think of Prince Harry,I think he was a real challenge but now he´s good in the army/airforce and who cares about his grades?It is more important what you make out of your life and not if you were a good student at school!I can understand why she´s not speaking French,I also learnt French at school and they tell me I´m good at it but I´m still afraid of making mistakes all the time and prefer to speak English instead.With the scrutiny of the press every little mistake Charlene makes will be a huge scandal!

The french issue is getting boring. She doesn't speak it. Period.
There are people that assures that she speak it, there's no proof of it. Till we get a proof, (such as, i.e: video) she doesn't speak it.
About being someone in life: indeed, it doesn't take a person to have a PhD in something to be succesfull in life. But anyone believes that Charlene would have been succesful is she didn't marry PA?
Will she be at the Olympics now? Still competing?
She retires when she become PA's girlfriend. Taking about succeed.
Her most succesful acomplishment was to get the tiara. It is the true.
Now she is a Princess Consort. What else can she do to top that?

I understand your comment about her French,I don´t know if she talks it or not till we hear her saying something!
I think she stopped competing because she was asked to do so- a princess who is competing at olympic games might have seemed inappropriate-that doesn´t make her a lazy person!
Not long ago women were critisized if they wanted to work or study and now housewomen are under attack,I don´t think that anybody should be forced into a role and every woman has the right to decide what she wants to do!Even if she just wants to wear designer robes and have beautiful children,stay at home to look after them and do a little bit of charity,what´s bad about it? Let her do what she wants to do as long as she is doing well,she´s looking fine and Prince Albert ain´t no saint either...a lot of women wouldn´t put up with children from other relationships but Charlene seems to accept his past.

I think she stopped competing because she was asked to do so- a princess who is competing at olympic games might have seemed inappropriate-that doesn´t make her a lazy person!

Uh....I think Prince Albert (and a few other folks in the ranks of the royal) have been competing for decades. Inappropriate - I think not.

How can doing sport be "inappropriate" ???
It sounds like something from a Victorian novel ....

His children from other relationships has nothing to do with Charlene. It is his duty to be a father to his children. Do not use them as scapegoats. I dislike the idea of women being the stepmother from hell.

I don´t think that competing at sports is inappropriate,but there are a lot of conservative ppl who would critisize her if there are pictures of her in a bathsuit or bikini,but I think times have changed a lot,the royals have a lot more freedom now than they used to have a few decades ago.They can act like normal citizens and don´t have to be glamourous all the time which is definitely a good developement.There are different monarchies and dynasties and some are more modern than others and allow women more choices or less. In this regard I would like to remind you of Japan where the royal family is completely excluded from normal life and expected to look elegant and flawless all the time,this must be a really hard life! We are going to see what Charlene is going to do in her new position,maybe she is taking more jobs as ambassador for sports or charity?

His children from other relationships has nothing to do with Charlene. It is his duty to be a father to his children. Do not use them as scapegoats. I dislike the idea of women being the stepmother from hell.

No one called her a stepmother from hell:lol:
She said in an interview that she likes children a lot and wants to have kids of her own so I would assume that she treats them well.
Everybody has to sort out his own life but I am sure that many women would have a problem with children from other relationships and if you don´t care about your partners earlier life, this is up to you!We live in a free world and everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion :D

charlene

South africa has eleven official languages.
According to the 2001 National Census, the three most spoken first home languages are Zulu ( 23,8% ), Xhosa ( 17,6% ) and Afrikaans (13,3% ) .Despite the fact is recognised as the language of commerce and science, it was spoken by only 8,2% of south Africans at home in 2001, an even lower percentage than in 1996 (8,6% ).
C. speak Afrikaans with her South africa -friends and her family.

concert / Jean Michel Jarre

Charlene gave thanks to the people in four languages at the concert.:lol:

She learn france in the Institut De Francais in Villefranche- Sur -Mer
one month , 8h / day

Charlene in Berlin (Germany) 25.-26.01.2003
Short Course (25m)

50m backstroke Semi/Finale 28.03 (3.)
50m backstroke Finale 28.47 (8.)

100m backstroke Semi/Finale 1:00,44 (7.)
100m backstroke Finale 1:00,97 (8.) cool!!!:flowers:

Charlene speaks afrikaan language there was a documentary in France about her at the times of the wedding, she spoke afrikaan in an old report taken when she was only swimmer , we see her also translating to the prince the worlds of the song the afrikaans romanza band sang as the opened the ball of the wedding gala.
At the ladies lunch video as she was made patron of this association in 2009, Alan Wes a Sa singer sang a song made for Charlene, it was in a sort of dialect, Charlene understood and she was very moved and had tears in the eyes.
I think she will speak french correctly soon but it is a question of times, we see in interviews that she understands french but do not speak it very well.
For the swimming, there were many documentaries on Charlene at the wedding time that show old reports in SA where she was on the podium. She did not get never a gold olympic medal but she was a good swimmer.
For the education . Princess Diana did not make long studies but she was a marvellous princess and made a good job as princess.
King Baudoin of Belgium became at 20 King of Belgium, he did not make study, he was 10 yers old when there was the second world war, than he was prisoner with his family , he made short studies at the gymnasium of Geneve , but he recognized he was bad and he could not study at he very famous gymnasium (Le Rosey), but he was a very good King during the years of his reign, there is also the intelligence of the heart.

melina premiere,I totally agree with you,degrees and diplomas are sometimes totally overrated!Nowadays you can always learn a new language or get to know more about a certain field of interest,read books,listen to lectures,do online-courses etc. to further your education if you haven´t been to university!But what can you do if somebody has a bad character,no discipline or no enthusiasm for work?....Exactly-nothing at all!!! All degrees are worthless sheets of paper if you are not diligent and trying to do better everyday!

King Baudoin of Belgium became at 20 King of Belgium, he did not make study, but he was a very good King during the years of his reign, there is also the intelligence of the heart.

I fully agree. There is no degree nor diploma which equips one to become a good Prince or Princess. It all boils down to "intelligence of the heart". What to do when, where and how. All the jewels, schooling and university graduations will NOT buy you "intelligence of the heart" nor will it make you a loved or successful monarch. It is all about intuition and King Baudoin is a typical of example of this. There is no reason why Charlene will not be a highly successful Princess. The fact that she is an olympic swimmer shows that she does have strong will and determination. Her grace, style and elegance is an added bonus.

Last edited:
Exactly, she has such a beautiful appearance and charisma,Charlene is very special and her athletic career shows that she is disciplined and focussed.

Just beacuse her education does not impress people,does not mean she's dumb.

There are a lot of people who never went to college(or completed) that are just as smart as people who did go.

Charlene certainly was a good swimmer since its an achievement to make it to the Olympics, even if only as a member of a relay team.

Having said that, Charlene was never a "superstar swimmer" eg like Kirsty Coventry from Zimbabwe, who made it to the very top as an individual. In additon, she was probably lucky to compete for South Africa (like Princess Haya showjumping for Jordan) because as a national of strong swimming nations like the US or Australia Charlene very likely would only have been second or third string.

Albert is not stupid and I guess it will have suited him to marry a person who didnt make it to the very top and didnt have the single-mindness of those superstars, eg like Schumacher in car racing, who, when they have to quit the sport due to age, dont know what to do with themselves and struggle to cope. Grace was on top of her profession as an actress and never really got over having to stop upon marriage, therefore Albert chose a woman who achieved something in her sport but didnt mind retiring when the relationship became more serious.

Charlene was not a super champion yes, but we saw that she worked very much to get results. Of course, she had hights and lows. But saying as some people use to say she never worked
is unfair. When we come on bank photos as getty images or other sites, we see photos of her career,she was everywhere there was a competition.and during many years.
In a documentary on the channel M6 about her , one day before her wedding with prince Albert, there was a resume of her career of swimming 'champion', there were many videos about her victories(team and alone), there were also her interviews when she won. We could see that she worked a lot .There were also a film about her training.
When she met again in 2005 Prince Albert, she just took again the training after a pause because she was injured. During all the year 2006 and beginning 2007, she travelled to monaco and came back for the training.
She won again the title of championship of south africa in april 2007 and gave up after an injury at ankle.
Prince Albert said in this documentary that he respected her swimming career, he said that in 2007, swimming was all her life. He said even she could travel a lot to Monaco when she gave up the swimming it was a sad period for her. He decided to ask her coming to live in Monaco because the period when she was at South Africa became louder for him and Charlene. It was the end of her career.
Of course, let be be realist, a swimming girl is not as glamour as an actress as her mother in law or a princess but it is worthy
We see al the road she had to do to be like she is now. specially at the evening of the gala in Berlin where she was beautiful and could do a speech in front of personalities.

Thank you melina for the links.
I think being able to participate in the Olympics is a mega goal to achieve.
And finally getting there means a lot of work and being able to win through a lot of competition. It means that you are one of the best athletes in your country and that's something to be proud of!

It is only for the people who are interssing because here on this site we have 2 pour cent who like her.On you tube there is a video where we are seeing Charlene during the Commonwealth games in 19998 jumping up and down during the defilée.
Charlene Wittstock 1998 KL commonwealth

I saw this video yesterday which only lasted seven seconds. It was made in 1998.
The happy, 20 years old Charlene Wittstock was gamboling in the video and put her grey "baseball cap" on her head.

Back
Top Bottom