Charles III, Current Events Part 1: September 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting suggestion about DNA testing the remains found in the Tower, if it could be done - presumably they’d need mitochondrial DNA from a maternal line descendant on the Woodville side, if there are any. I appreciate that people have qualms about the idea of digging up skeletons, and also that a positive ID wouldn’t solve the mystery of who (if anyone) killed the princes, but it’d solve part of the biggest mystery in English history.

This probably needs to go into another thread, but here is my take on those bones:

IF they are re-examined, the first thing they need to do is date them. If the reports of where they were found are correct, they can NOT be those of Edward IV's sons. They were "found" ten feet under the foundations of a stone staircase that was built nearly two hundred years before the boys were born, on the edge of what is now known as a Roman-era cemetery under the Tower grounds. (And they spent several months in a garbage heap! before being gathered up again.) I'm 98% certain those bones are of two Roman children.

I don't think this was known when the clip originally came out, but it was the second time that day that Liz Truss had been to the Palace to see him, as she had been sworn in as First Lord of the Treasury at a Privy Council meeting a few hours earlier. So he was probably just finding it lightly amusing that the woman he'd just seen and spoken to was already back again for an audience.

It would be unusual for there to be 'hours' between the Privy Council and the Audience.

It is normal for one of those attending the Privy Council to have an Audience either before or after the Privy Council meeting.

It is unusual for the PM to attend the Privy Council meeting however. She probably won't attend another one.

It would be unusual for there to be 'hours' between the Privy Council and the Audience.

It is normal for one of those attending the Privy Council to have an Audience either before or after the Privy Council meeting.

It is unusual for the PM to attend the Privy Council meeting however. She probably won't attend another one.

PM Truss was scheduled to be sworn First Lord of the Treasury the day after The (late) Queen appointed her PM. This was to happen virtually on the evening of Sept. 7th. Of course that (virtual) privy council had to be "postponed" because of the late Queen's ill-health.

What I don't understand is why the PM wasn't sworn First Lord of the Treasury at the privy council of Sept. 13th? Almost all of the rest of her cabinet was sworn in then and it was in person at Buckingham Palace with The King.

Was the PM too busy then with the funeral arrangements and duties (as well as getting her government up and running), to go to the palace at that point? It's certainly and odd situation where she was only sworn on Oct. 12 - more than a month after coming to office.

The King really is travelling back and forth a lot these days. Did engagements in Scotland and London last week. He was in Aberdeen in the morning, and BP in the afternoon.

Last edited:
King Charles met with Felix Tshisekedi, President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, at Buckingham Palace today, October 19:

** Pic ** gtresnews gallery **

If Charles predeceases Camilla, what titles would we expect her retain as his widow? Queen Dowager, obviously, but would she retain any ducal titles or anything like that?

If Charles predeceases Camilla, what titles would we expect her retain as his widow? Queen Dowager, obviously, but would she retain any ducal titles or anything like that?

Her Majesty would officially be styled “Dowager Queen” as she doesn’t posses any ducal titles as they reverted back to the Crown upon the accession of Charles as King. She will most like likely be known simply as “HM Queen Camilla” in keeping with past custom.

King Charles received the President of the Togolese Republic Faure Gnassingbé and the High Commissioner from the Islamic Republic of Pakistan Moazzam Ahmad Khan today, October 20:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Monarch and The Prime Minister

I really didn't know what was the appropriate thread to ask this question, because it is more a general question, which I would recommend to the moderators to consider because not all questions can be defined so easily. But I guess since Charles is the reigning King, I'll ask here.

I have heard that the Queen, and now Charles, has a weekly in person meeting with the Prime Minister. I also know that the Queen wasn't always in London as she has other homes that she goes to, rather than just Buckingham Palace. So how does that work? How could they possibly have an in person meeting every week if she isn't in London? I hardly think the Prime Minister has the time to travel to wherever she is every week to meet. I mean, do they sometimes just do it over the phone and not in person?

I really didn't know what was the appropriate thread to ask this question, because it is more a general question, which I would recommend to the moderators to consider because not all questions can be defined so easily. But I guess since Charles is the reigning King, I'll ask here.

I have heard that the Queen, and now Charles, has a weekly in person meeting with the Prime Minister. I also know that the Queen wasn't always in London as she has other homes that she goes to, rather than just Buckingham Palace. So how does that work? How could they possibly have an in person meeting every week if she isn't in London? I hardly think the Prime Minister has the time to travel to wherever she is every week to meet. I mean, do they sometimes just do it over the phone and not in person?

Yes if HM is not in London then the Queen and now the King hold a phone audience with the PM of the day. Perhaps they have also tried via Zoom in the last couple of years.

The 'in person' meeting happened either on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening and until covid The Queen was in London on those nights. The 'in person' meeting also only happened during the time when parliament was sitting.

If parliament was sitting and The Queen was at Sandringham in December or January then there were no meetings or if really urgent then the PM would travel to Sandringham to see her. Same if it was sitting in July - October - other than the weekend that the PM went to stay with the Queen at Balmoral when they would have a meeting during that time (the PM would also go across to Birkhall and have a meeting with The then Prince of Wales, now Charles III) there would have been no meetings.

During covid she had those meetings via phone link. There was a lovely picture of her taken early in covid when she was talking to the PM and both of them were using a landline connection. She did other things via video but the weekly 'audience' with the PM was via phone link.

Since the funeral, over a month ago, the King has had TWO audiences with the PM (12th and 19th October). As he was in Scotland for most of the time from the 20th September until about the 12th October that isn't surprising. He did have an audience via phone link with the previous Chancellor the day before he brought down the budget that has caused so much chaos in the UK and especially in the Tory party.

So it isn't true to say that the monarch meets every week with the PM. It is more the monarch meets every week with the PM when both are in London and when parliament is sitting.

Obviously during Covid and the queen's increased ill health, any meetings with the PM were via Zoom or phone, rather than face to face.

Meetings with the PM were all by phone. She did other things via zoom but always by phone with Boris and the Chancellor the day before any budgets ... even Charles had a phone conversation with the Chancellor earlier this month the day before the budget. He could have used zoom but followed his mother's example and phone when talking to the politicians.

A while ago, I looked through a few years of the Court Circular and it seemed like there were 20-25 audiences a year, with long gaps such as during the Queen's stay at Balmoral. (This was well before Covid. Gordon Brown was either still the PM or had just left.)

Last edited:
A while ago, I looked through a few years of the Court Circular and it seemed like there were 20-25 audiences a year, with long gaps such as during the Queen's stay at Balmoral.

Parliament would not be sitting then, and the PM does usually pay a visit to Balmoral during that time..... when the queen is on Holiday.....

A while ago, I looked through a few years of the Court Circular and it seemed like there were 20-25 audiences a year, with long gaps such as during the Queen's stay at Balmoral. (This was well before Covid. Gordon Brown was either still the PM or had just left.)

As you probably know I have been analysing the CC now for the past decade (having posted my analysis in here for those 10 years). I have also been analysing the CC since 1952 and hope to finish down to 1985 by the end of next year and then do 1997 - 2012 when I started. The years in between 1986-1996 inclusive I don't have access to. My former uni, that had the entirety of The Times decided to digitalise it but didn't include the CC as they didn't think anyone would want to use it. The same thing with out State Library so no access for those 11 years.

When The Queen was in London she would meet with the PM weekly - usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening.

When she was at Balmoral (late July - early October) other than the weekend that the PM spent at Balmoral The Queen didn't see the PM as the general rule.

When she was at Sandringham - mid-December to mid-February) the same thing.

That means that for about 5 months of the year The Queen didn't see the PM at all. She also didn't see the PM during the period around Easter or during Ascot week.

Last edited:
I really didn't know what was the appropriate thread to ask this question, because it is more a general question, which I would recommend to the moderators to consider because not all questions can be defined so easily.

There is an existing thread called General Questions & Random Facts about the British Royal Family.

There is also a thread called Prime Ministers, Political Advisers and the Powers & Prerogatives of the Monarch. (For some reason it is still in Elizabeth II's subforum.)

The King will now have to return to London to accept Liz Truss’s resignation and to ask Rishi Sunak to form a government. It sounds like it’ll be tomorrow.

The King will now have to return to London to accept Liz Truss’s resignation and to ask Rishi Sunak to form a government. It sounds like it’ll be tomorrow.

Over the weekend it had been briefed that the King would be in London this afternoon and evening if there needed to be a change in PM. The change of PM will take place tmrw.

Today is Diwali, and Rishi may have preferred to start the new job tmrw.

Over the weekend it had been briefed that the King would be in London this afternoon and evening if there needed to be a change in PM. The change of PM will take place tmrw.

Today is Diwali, and Rishi may have preferred to start the new job tmrw.

Will Rishi Sunak recommend appointments of bishops of the Church of England to the King, or will he delegate that role to someone else given that he is not an Anglican, nor a Christian?

There have been non-CoE PMs before.

It doesn't make any sense for a non Anglican to be involved in any way with the appointment of C of E clerics. Typical British inertia. This should have been resolved years ago when we had the first non Anglican PM.

I'm sure the new PM has zero interest in being involved in the appointment of Anglican bishops.

Will Rishi Sunak recommend appointments of bishops of the Church of England to the King, or will he delegate that role to someone else given that he is not an Anglican, nor a Christian?

The ban on "advising" the monarch on Church of England and Church of Scotland appointments appears to be specific to Roman Catholics:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo4/10/7/section/18

It makes no sense that the role of presenting the names of Protestant bishops-select (who in reality are selected internally within the church nowadays) to the King is permitted for a non-Christian but banned for a Catholic Christian. But it also makes no sense that a Protestant ex-Catholic may not reign as King while a Protestant ex-Hindu (or ex-member of any other non-Christian faith) may. And that is nonetheless the law of the land.

But no Hindu PM, I suppose. Gordon Brown was a Presbyterian and I think Margaret Thatcher was a Methodist.

And Boris Johnson was a Catholic and thus (according to a government statement to the Times) had to delegate the job of recommending appointments of Church of England bishops to another minister, at least theoretically (I do not know if any appointments were actually made during his tenure).

Nonetheless, as this regards appointments in the CoE: Churchill was a Member of the Church of England - although he personally had lost his faith.

Callaghan grew up Baptist (at least his parents married in a Baptist church as the Catholic church refused the marriage between a Catholic and a Baptist).

Attlee's parents were committed Anglicans, so he definitely grew up in an Anglican home.

Ramsay MacDonald attended various christian schools and was an assistant to a clergyman trying to set up a boy's and young men's guild a a church.

So, while I don't know anything about their beliefs later in life, all of them seem to have grown up within a Christian community.

Back
Top Bottom