Divorce rumours for Princess Masako ?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my wish is only for masako's health and happiness

This is pretty obvious. I don't think that any erson with heart inside her/his chest would wish that someone will be depressed and ill...

But, as we was discussing these last days, Princess Masako seems to be improving very quickly. She is wearing a new haircut that makes her more young and beatiful...And of course, she seems happy. I hope that all these "divorce rumors" could be only what I think they really are: gossip. :D

Vanesa.

Nosee longtime......

Monica17
Is Masako really scorned and criticized in Japan? Then that's not going to help her recover, will it? Do the Japanese think that Masako's illness is partly caused by her "reluctance" to conform to palace life and that she is "neglecting" her duties by "insisting" to be a modern woman? No wonder the divorce rumors never stop....some - if not many- people are out to get her out of the picture.

I think the situation is better and improving, with your pussing attention. And it is really true that she is "neglecting" her duties by "insisting" to be a modern woman. Very historically, it must be a brave and an exceptional trial! Many and many thanks, mysunshine:angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all the Modern Royals my heart goes out to Masako the most....she could have done so much for Japan if only "they" had let her be her charming self. A lot of it could have been fear that the men in grey would lose control and would be seen as what they are and be "removed". It doesn't seem to matter that the World has watched and nothing has been changed.

Dear Members,

May I remind you that the present arrangements were put in place by the
United Nations (ie US) occupation of Japan after the horrendous World War II. the constitution and the line of succession were put in place by that agency of occupation. As Hirohito was most certainly an architect if not THE Architect of the whole fiasco of Japan's involvement in WWII the constitution was so structured so the
Emperor would never have that ability or that capacity to influence events to that degree again. So Imperial Household Agency is a very conservative insitution. Further, whether one agrees with it or not the line of succession in Japan is through male primogenture. Which means that Naurihito's brother and son are in the direct line of succession.
Moreoever, and however disagreeable it might be and is, the primary responsibility in marriage at this level of royalty is the succession. The Imperial Dynasty descended through the ages must at all cost continue.

Hence, Masako's tragedy. And it is very sad indeed. But like all true Greek tragedy, inevitable.

You are most correct and that is the really sad part. This "position" of Princess Masako is so limited, that any human body that could reproduce would have done. The Prince loves her, they seemed personally happy with their child. Masako was very educated, bright and outgoing. I think she thought things could change. What a pity.

Nothing is inevitable but death. I think that it is reasonable that a change could be done, it should be done. Of course, it's Japanese people who must decide not us.

If a thing is ridicoulous, you may be sure it will not stand for ever. It will ends as all things ends.

I do not see any "Greek Tragedy" going on here. Princess Masako's smiling face is not the one of a person going through a "Greek Tragedy". She certainly will be the Empress a day to come. The only thing it could happen is that her daughter would not be Empress herself. (And we never knows...Hope is always there and if it is salutary that Consitution would be changed, it will be. So, Princess Aiko will be an Empress) and that the new Emperor will bear the name of Prince Isahito.

No "tragedy". A simple fact. A simple fact that could change or not as almost everything in life.

Vanesa.

charm and greek tragedy

Concerning with Greek tragedy, perhaps, it will be a big difference between to see and to live there. Within herself, I feel some Sophocles, so-called purest artist, who has led what should be solved or how must person conduct oneself, rather than a drop of tears.

She charms and gives us, perhaps, a sort of ease, comfort, healing and expectation among petit solid family. :ohmy:

mysunshine

I don't hope that the rumours are true. That would break Crown Princess Masakos life and her soul.

My husband’s grandmother is Japanese, who watches NHK (the national Japanese channel). I asked her to explain the situation with Crown Princess Masako from the Japanese perspective. She told me that it was Crown Princess’s imperative duty is to secure the bloodline. No one would sympathize with her because she did not try hard enough. All attempts of Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to change the laws related to the succession line were doomed to fail because Japan strictly adheres to certain traditions. Additionally, there is the almighty IHA. In my view, the IHA should leave the Crown Princess Masako be and stop nagging life out of her since the Agency has succeeded in “saving the throne”.
As for Mr. Koizumi, I have read an article in the Russian newspaper describing him as a real samurai. The flashy and rebellious PM Koizumi, who attempted to introduce reforms to succession rules, remained true to traditions, when it came to his personal life.
Wikipedia (n.d) has reflected the above in the following segment.

"Koizumi married 21-year-old university student Kayoko Miyamoto in 1978 under the omiai custom. The ceremony at the Tokyo Prince Hotel was attended by about 2,500 people, including Fukuda (then Prime Minister), and featured a wedding cake shaped like the National Diet Building.
The marriage ended in divorce in 1982. Kayoko was unhappy with her lifestyle and Koizumi did not see Kayoko as a viable political wife. After this divorce, Koizumi never married again, saying that divorce consumed ten times more energy than marriage. Two of his three sons (Kotaro Koizumi and Shinjiro Koizumi) were kept in Koizumi's custody and raised by one of Koizumi's sisters. Although Kayoko claims that she was to be allowed to see her two sons once they reach the age of 16, this did not happen and she has not been able to see them since the divorce. The youngest, Yoshinaga Miyamoto, a student at Keio University, was born following the divorce and has never met Koizumi. This third son is known to have attended one of Koizumi's rallies, but was also turned away when trying to meet his father by attending his grandmother's funeral".

My husband’s grandmother is Japanese, who watches NHK (the national Japanese channel). I asked her to explain the situation with Crown Princess Masako from the Japanese perspective. She told me that it was Crown Princess’s imperative duty is to secure the bloodline. No one would sympathize with her because she did not try hard enough. All attempts of Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to change the laws related to the succession line were doomed to fail because Japan strictly adheres to certain traditions. Additionally, there is the almighty IHA. In my view, the IHA should leave the Crown Princess Masako be and stop nagging life out of her since the Agency has succeeded in “saving the throne”.
As for Mr. Koizumi, I have read an article in the Russian newspaper describing him as a real samurai. The flashy and rebellious PM Koizumi, who attempted to introduce reforms to succession rules, remained true to traditions, when it came to his personal life.
Wikipedia (n.d) has reflected the above in the following segment.

"Koizumi married 21-year-old university student Kayoko Miyamoto in 1978 under the omiai custom. The ceremony at the Tokyo Prince Hotel was attended by about 2,500 people, including Fukuda (then Prime Minister), and featured a wedding cake shaped like the National Diet Building.
The marriage ended in divorce in 1982. Kayoko was unhappy with her lifestyle and Koizumi did not see Kayoko as a viable political wife. After this divorce, Koizumi never married again, saying that divorce consumed ten times more energy than marriage. Two of his three sons (Kotaro Koizumi and Shinjiro Koizumi) were kept in Koizumi's custody and raised by one of Koizumi's sisters. Although Kayoko claims that she was to be allowed to see her two sons once they reach the age of 16, this did not happen and she has not been able to see them since the divorce. The youngest, Yoshinaga Miyamoto, a student at Keio University, was born following the divorce and has never met Koizumi. This third son is known to have attended one of Koizumi's rallies, but was also turned away when trying to meet his father by attending his grandmother's funeral".

Thank you for your interesant insight in the Japanese view of the issue. No way of what WE thinks about the matter and what we thinks it will be good to change or to keep. And since I was always against foreing participation into other countries affairs, I think we must to accept what japanese people should like about their Imperial House...even if we are against it. I could not like how my neighbors are living, but I have NO RIGHT to enter there and force them to live as I like..as well as they have no right to force me to live the way they are used to, for me is me and them and them. Sad? I don't know. But in all cases, true.

Oh. by the way Al_bina...I love your avatar! :flowers:

Vanesa.

Thank you for your interesant insight in the Japanese view of the issue. No way of what WE thinks about the matter and what we thinks it will be good to change or to keep. And since I was always against foreing participation into other countries affairs, I think we must to accept what japanese people should like about their Imperial House...even if we are against it. I could not like how my neighbors are living, but I have NO RIGHT to enter there and force them to live as I like..as well as they have no right to force me to live the way they are used to, for me is me and them and them. Sad? I don't know. But in all cases, true.

Oh. by the way Al_bina...I love your avatar! :flowers:

Vanesa.

Vanesa,
I have been delighted to get your comments. :flowers:I love Japanese culture (i.e., cuisine, literature, architecture, art and etc.). However, I do realize that the Japanese are unlikely to bow to pressures of modern development (diversity management, growing number of working women) and change the succession line. The digital century has not changed much in this respect.
The reasons stem from the “superiority” of man over women in the Asian culture, underpinned by values, norms, and traditions. As you probably know, it is extremely important for any Asian family to have a son, who will assume responsibility for taking care of parents later. Daughters will be taking care of their in-laws.
That is why Crown Princess Masako is reminded of her “failure” regularly by the parties concerned. The worst part of the whole situation is divorce-related rumours, which deeply hurts Crown Princess.

wrong and unappropriates.....

As for Mr. Koizumi, I have read an article in the Russian newspaper describing him as a real samurai.

Dear Al_bina:
Please be patient against my complete opposite opinions,

Your Japanese grandmother-in-law makes common mistakes, in the line of IHA propaganda. CP Masako has already finished and accomplished "her duty" by born Princess Aiko, as a female heir, a future Empress, who has also suitable dignity and blessing in the Book.

Your praising ex-PM Koizumi is at last sinking, of his hitler-like-activities and of his female scandals, then the contents may be re-writed sooner or later.. 

Just my personal view on this subject matter

Dear Al_bina:
Please be patient against my complete opposite opinions,

Your Japanese grandmother-in-law makes common mistakes, in the line of IHA propaganda. CP Masako has already finished and accomplished "her duty" by born Princess Aiko, as a female heir, a future Empress, who has also suitable dignity and blessing in the Book.

Your praising ex-PM Koizumi is at last sinking, of his hitler-like-activities and of his female scandals, then the contents may be re-writed sooner or later.. 
Dear mysunshine,
It has been most kind of you to comment on my post. Your insights are valuable because you live in Japan. In response to you, I would like to note the following.
Firstly, I have not praised PM Koizumi. Please, read my post attentively. I have emphasized the point that Mr. Koizumi rigorously adhered to traditions in spite of being described as innovative, rebellious, etc. and in spite of pushing for reforms of the succession line. The segment from Wikipedia (n.d.) has been submitted to confirm my point. Additionally, I am not aware of any female-related scandals that involved former PM Koizumi because such news is not broadcasted on NHK.
Secondly, there is a male heir in the Imperial Family. So it is highly unlikely for the parties concerned to start reforms related to the throne succession. The power of the IHA should not be underestimated in this case. Is Mr. Taro Aso or any other person selected to be PM willing to give an impetus to this process? I shall be glad to learn more about the wording of this succession law or any steps that would serve as proof of intentions to reform the succession law.
At the same time, I agree with that the course of life is open to changes. It is within a realm of possibility that Princess Aiko may become Crown Princess and then ascend the Chrysanthemum Throne. However, the above developments may come to life only after Crown Prince Naruhito becomes an Emperor and persuades the parties concerned into altering the laws in question.
Let us see what surprises a course of life may bring ….
Thank you,

Last edited:
I do not think that respecting the traditions will be a negative trait. For me the traditionalist persons are to be praized, much more than those ones that are always doing new things only to be "original" . And this is not a conception of mine (I'm not so intelligent, I think), but from Chesterton, a writer that I always respected. Maurras, my favorite political phylosophe, shared this opinion too. That's one of the reasons I'm a Monarchist.

Of course, a thing is to be traditionalist and another is to be a rigid narrowed minded person. Following a tradition without knowing why you are following it, makes a ridicoulous person of you. But if you know why are you acting this way or another, that's another story.

For example: when we are making a cake, we must add the eggs ONE BY ONE and not all together...and why? TRADITION shows that they integrates better into the mix one by one. If I does it otherwise for I'm rebellious because "everybody does it that way", my cake will not be a succes...rather the opposite. The answer is that "everybody" does cakes this way, for they turned well only if we does it this way. Traditions are not nonsense. They are made by popular knowledge and experience. Of course, if someone ask you why you does this or that and you answers: "Oh...just tradition...I do not know really why?" , yu are entering in the "ridicolous" or rigid category I quoted above.

I'm a Monarchist for I'm a traditional person. Monarchy institution is traditional, and for me it demonstrates that it is the better way of governement there is. That's the reason I'm here in this Forum, even if time to time, I think I am in an Anarchist , Communist or Libertarian one.:D

Vanesa.

tout vas bien!

I have emphasized the point that Mr. Koizumi rigorously adhered to traditions in spite of being described as innovative, rebellious, etc. and in spite of pushing for reforms of the succession line.

Secondly, there is a male heir in the Imperial Family. So it is highly unlikely for the parties concerned to start reforms related to the throne succession. The power of the IHA should not be underestimated in this case.

At the same time, I agree with that the course of life is open to changes. It is within a realm of possibility that Princess Aiko may become Crown Princess and then ascend the Chrysanthemum Throne. However, the above developments may come to life only after Crown Prince Naruhito becomes an Emperor and persuades the parties concerned into altering the laws in question.

Dear Al_Bina,
I thank you very much for you, such polite and reasonable response here.

My faith and forecast:

Concerning with Togu family, CP Naruhito, CP Masako and P Aiko, has no problem at all, as the righteous successor of Emperor Akihito. Because objective circumstances and political background have dramatically changed since LDP minority.

And notorious bureaucratism is losing their "almighty power" including IHA, without LDP unconditional support. In addition, the book of Princess Masako, Ben Hills, is disclosing the dark and hidden part of IHA, like as Kurofune of Tokugawa age.

Then Ichro Ozawa, expected next PM, will arrange Kositsu-Tenpan or Imperial Family Law, in order to assure the liberty and happiness, rather than IHA suppression.

Concerning with ex-PM Koizumi, one of the most famous populist, has lost his unique position to realize female Emperor Aiko, very unfortunately with his undeciding compromise.:eek:

mysunshine

Then: the only answer is the same than always. We must wait...and see how the future will bring. ;)

Vanesa.

to mysynshine

Dear mysunshine,
I have been delighted to learn that we have conciliated our differences in regard to the matter under discussion.
The aptly executed plan with Princess Kiko’s pregnancy and a well-timed birth of Prince Hisahito might serve as a vivid indication that the life of Imperial Family is conflict–ridden and is surrounded by hidden agendas and schemes of the parties involved. I shall welcome any steps/measures that Crown Prince Naruhito may undertake in order to limit immoderate and often ruthless authority of the IHA, as the latter poisons the life of Crown Princess Masako and restrains her from performing official engagements along her husband.
I do hope Mr. Ozawa will give a due impetus to reforms in question.
Thank you,

with grace

I have been delighted to learn that we have conciliated our differences in regard to the matter under discussion.
The aptly executed plan with Princess Kiko’s pregnancy and a well-timed birth of Prince Hisahito might serve as a vivid indication that the life of Imperial Family is conflict–ridden and is surrounded by hidden agendas and schemes of the parties involved. I shall welcome any steps/measures that Crown Prince Naruhito may undertake in order to limit immoderate and often ruthless authority of the IHA, as the latter poisons the life of Crown Princess Masako and restrains her from performing official engagements along her husband.
I do hope Mr. Ozawa will give a due impetus to reforms in question.
Thank you,

Dear Al_bina

I am so happy to know that you beging to understand my insisting points, sometimes irritated and sometimes unsatisfied.

Surely "Princess Kiko's pregnancy and a well-timed birth of Prince Hisahito" are a way of the Chrysanthemum Throne. But at the same time, I would reffer to the fact that an authoritative commitee, irronically under Koizumi cabinet, had already concluded "Female Emperor System" as heiress, for Princess Aiko.

In anyway, too much disputes may occur gravely, between "Kiko's faction" and "Masako's faction" including agitating female-weekly-magazines.

Recently I am repeating a word, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, with Mary Poppins, for coming happy-end scene. :wub:

mysunchine

Secondly, there is a male heir in the Imperial Family. So it is highly unlikely for the parties concerned to start reforms related to the throne succession.

The birth of a male heir has only delayed the changes in the succession laws it hasn't completely cancelled them out. Politicians have said as much, "we will look on it ( the succession laws) with calmness" Change does not happen quickly in Japan.
What is acknowledged is that the future of the Imperial Family cannot hinge on one male child. He could turn out to be infertile, gay, or simply not find anyone who would agree to marry him. Not as ridiculous as it sounds as currently there is an increasing number of young Japanese women who are choosing not to marry, this is contributing to a demographic problem of a declining birthrate and population in Japan. If Japanese women are choosing to remain single now because they want to remain free and independent, 20 to 30 years in the future when Hisahito is looking for a bride in all probability he won't be able to find a woman who is prepared to marry him and totally loose her freedom. Both Akihito and Naruhito had the experience of women they were interested in finding a reason to leave Japan to avoid them.

There is also the pressure of all the female princesses marrying 'out' so Hisahito in all likelihood would be the only Imperial Family member around. The succession laws will change, not in the next 5 years but give it 10 to 15 years and there will be a change, the future of the Imperial Family is dependent on it.

But there really are a "Princess Masako's faction" and a "Princess Kiko's faction"? I mean in Japan...I certainly find it in Royal Forums (this one and others)...But this is a reality in Japan? Does both sisters-in-law have some unfriendly ways the one toward the other? Or that's only in the press (mostly Yellow Press)? I have no clue there...:ermm:

Vanesa.

Japan is possibly the most peculiar and enigmatic country: never has my mind been filled with so many antagonistic comparisons for something that I am deeply attracted to. Furthermore, Japan places individuals in the setting of fast-paced developments in the society at large (Internet, cellular phones, and cutting-edge technical innovations) that are governed by ancient cultural traditions and norms. In other words, it conveys an image of a young woman dressed in a traditional kimono with a cellphone to me.
The birth of Prince Hisahito might be viewed as an unchallenged triumph of the IHA that obviously had no intentions to give up on securing the succession line in a traditional manner. I am not sure, if the IHA ever welcome an idea of having a female as a head of the Imperial Family.
Being inevitable part of the life cycle, changes do not happen with the wave of a magic wand. Japanese politicians will certainly return to this topical issue and may introduce the required changes to the succession rules. My only concern is that politicians may shy away from any confrontations with the IHA by crafting reforms in a way that will not change anything much in the current situation. For example, a daughter of future Emperor Hisahito may have right to succeed her father. Thus, I do hope that these reforms will allow Princess Aiko to become an Empress.

Last edited:
But..there INDEED exist two factions, one following Crownprincess Masako and other, Princess Kiko? I'm curious about that ...:neutral:

Vanesa.

But..there INDEED exist two factions, one following Crownprincess Masako and other, Princess Kiko? I'm curious about that ...:neutral:

Vanesa.

Vanesa,
I believe that only members that live in Japan can cast the light upon this situation and provide more accurate information. :flowers:

with some respect

Both Akihito and Naruhito had the experience of women they were interested in finding a reason to leave Japan to avoid them.

There is also the pressure of all the female princesses marrying 'out' so Hisahito in all likelihood would be the only Imperial Family member around. The succession laws will change, not in the next 5 years but give it 10 to 15 years and there will be a change, the future of the Imperial Family is dependent on it.

Really Michiko, now Empress, and Masako, now Crown Princess, are our heroins in our Constitutional monarchy system. Because Tenno or Emperor had been God in Japanese long history untill the end of World War II, and Hirohito, the former Emperor, had just publicly denied and terminated his divinity, at unconditional surrender of Potsdam declaration.

Then who want to be canary in the cage, rather divine and the most difficult place ever before? It must be very natural to avoid or refuse or escape, from such situation, especially for commoner.

But finally, both Michiko and Masako have accepted their sincere propose, and at the same time, they have devoted themselves. Therefore, at least, Michiko and Masako have to be happy in the Imperial Family!

Vanesa,
I believe that only members that live in Japan can cast the light upon this situation and provide more accurate information. :flowers:

I think you are right Al_bina...and I was looking for Japanese members to answer this issue. :)

Vanesa.

PLEASE ... do not take this the wrong way. Thank you :)

You know, I really do like reading about Masako and other "Commoners" who elect to marry into Royal Regimes.
But, I cannot help but think that Masako is smart enough to KNOW that she must do more and more to promote her new Family, rather than continue to hide and make excuses for NOT doing enough for it.
I sympathise with her, and her plight.
But, I also feel that she must think very strongly about just bucking up and getting on with it, now. She's been allowed the luxury of being in treatment for her "adjustment disorder" for a few years now, and I think things are getting down to the wire. Either, she is getting truly better and will be contributory, or ... she must get out altogether, if she see herself as being unfit, overall to fulfill her duties.

It is, as they say, "fish or cut bait" time.

I dont think she's hiding in the prison, I mean palace. I think she's not allowed out by the IHA and that's what her 'disorder' is. It's very unfortunate, because with a Harvard MBA and a back ground in diplomacy she could have been a wonderful asset to the Imperial family and the country.

You know, I really do like reading about Masako and other "Commoners" who elect to marry into Royal Regimes.
But, I cannot help but think that Masako is smart enough to KNOW that she must do more and more to promote her new Family, rather than continue to hide and make excuses for NOT doing enough for it.
I sympathise with her, and her plight.
But, I also feel that she must think very strongly about just bucking up and getting on with it, now. She's been allowed the luxury of being in treatment for her "adjustment disorder" for a few years now, and I think things are getting down to the wire. Either, she is getting truly better and will be contributory, or ... she must get out altogether, if she see herself as being unfit, overall to fulfill her duties.

It is, as they say, "fish or cut bait" time.

I think the same than you, Abigail. And I also think that it is not fair to born ourselves to blame the IHA permanently. This institution might be guilty of some things, but couldn't be the ONLY responsible of Princess Masako's state. I think she is smart, but also too much delicate, and delicate and nervous persons are ill-equiped to fight the kind of problems that a public person must face.

Princess Masako must have known that she should not be a private person any more , the day she married Prince Naruhito and that it will be persons who should support her and others that just wouldn't. Every single public person has enemies. We must accept that fact.

This is one of the reasons I don't like too much "commoners" (my...what ugly this word is...even if being a commoner is not a bad thing! :D ) marrying Royals. Most of them (not all of them) only sees the glamourizing aspect of the thing, without thinking about the natural troubles that being a Royal could bring. Royals who are born Royals, are used to see papparazzies around them, and curious people wanting to know more and more about their public (and private! :rolleyes:;)) lives. This is a fact too...and can't be left aside. Most of these new princess are nervous, fragile and wanting to be "independent". They doesn't understand they are NOT independent any more. They are there to serve their new countries and to play their characters well.

However, I think that Princess Masako has a lot of intelligence to turn things in her favor. She could be an excellent Princess if she wants. It depends on HER. Blaming the IHA as the big demon will not help her. She must be more powerful than any institution acting as she must act. Then, people will laugh at IHA and don't pay any more attention to it. But the Princess must be STRONG to be loved and respected by her nation. She must show how strong she is.

I hope she could overcome her stress and making herself a loved Princess among Japanese people. Only this way, she could be revered as an Empress.

Vanesa.:flowers:

So I take it that you think that if Masako were to announce that she was going to Rome/Paris/London for xyz reason, she would be 'allowed' to get on the plane? When was the last time she left Japan, does anyone have the date?

Back
Top Bottom