Funeral of King Constantine - January 16, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a wonderful show of support from royals around the world. All the important and relevant monarchs and/or heirs were there to show their support and respect. Nice that Prince Joachima dn Princess Alexandra were also able to attend and the former monarchs too.

Crown Prince Pavlos gave a lovely Eulogy and Queen Anne Marie broke my heart. The memories that must have been going through her mind in the same church were she was married. The coverage was wonderful and seeing the large gathering of the public there to show their love and support was beautiful.

Nicolae of Romania posted these photos to his Facebook
"With a heart full of pain I retreated today, to the church of San Eleftherios in Athens, to the catafalque of King Constantine II of the Hellenes, first cousin to my grandfather King Mihai. Since I learned the sad news, the images and emotions experienced in June 2008 when I celebrated the Diamond Wedding of my grandfather and grandmother have been running through my mind and soul. We then met many members of our family in an explosion of joy and love that we will never forget. King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie, Queen Sofia of Spain, King Simeon of the Bulgarians and the other distinguished guests with whom I have the same blood, through King Mihai and Queen Anne, showed me much sympathy.
My condolences and deepest sympathy to Her Majesty Queen Anne-Marie, my cousin, His Royal Highness Prince Pavlos, Her Majesty Queen Sofia, His Majesty King Felipe (my godfather) and all members of our family.
May He rest in eternal light!"
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Nicolae posted also these old photos

Absolutely beautiful he came! So touching and thougtful..! I guess he was not part of the official romanian delegation and went in his own capacity..? That makes it even more special!

I must admit that my response was the opposite: way to make this about yourself...

When all was still well between mama Elena and son Nicholas. Hopefully his uncle-by-law Prince Radu and Nicholas have exchanged some friendly words. Funerals do have that effect.

However, Radu attended the funeral and Nicholas was just one of the many people in the crowd. I doubt they met...

Really? Nikolaos was only 15 years old when Nicolae of Romania was born.

Yes, I wondered about that too. But I suppose it can happen. Prince Amedeo was also only 15 years old when he became the godfather of his cousin, Pss Elisabeth. But it was the first time I heard about it as well.

He himself only mentions that he is a godson of king Felipe; not that prince Nikolaos is his godfather - I would have expected him to mention that (given that he did include that information about Felipe) if that truly was the case.

All the more sign William could have attended. It clearly was not an issue of safety for a senior royal. Nor busy schedule as Anne has one of the busiest.

While Gabriella is the only royal godchild to attend, all the others were either represented by their parents who chose Constantine (Beatrix for Constantijn, Alexander for his twin sons, Maria for Grand Duke Georgi) or their spouse (Radu for Margareta).

Prince Ernst August of Hanover, another godchild, attended yesterday's dinner - today I only saw his brother and (his brother's) wife; but he did pay his respects by coming over to Greece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure that 99% of the royal followers would want Nikolaos, the only one who actually lives in Greece and actively works for the people of Greece, to be the Head of the House. The outpour of love towards Pavlos today was a surprise even for him, and it was nice because I'm pretty sure he's aware that his middle brother is more respected, and he was clearly nervous during his reading but he pulled through with themendous dignity.

Well, I was just thinking that Pavlos would either get some sort of post-funeral enlightenment that would prompt him to be more involved, and that in case this didn't happen, he should pass on his responsibilities to Nikolaos (if he wants them)....It turns out To Vima Magazine reports that Pavlos is thinking about moving to Greece. I'll believe it when I see it, that would be SHOCKING (in a good way). :eek:

https://www.tovima.gr/2023/01/16/so...irofories-oti-metakomizei-monima-stin-athina/
He should get more involved in Greece for what? Nikolaos (hope I don’t offend anyone) is married and doesn’t have children who then will the responsibility pass to since Nikolaos is beloved and respected. I’d say the outpour of love is shocking especially because the family has had to walk on a tightrope for years and deal with the propaganda of the state thrown at them for years. Plus hurling insults saying “they are not Greek”, “we never had Kings”, and many more insults

If security was a reason, no head of state (Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain) or heir (CP Haakon, CP Frederik) could have come, which was not the case. I think it is more simple and nothing unusual from what we see every time at a major royal event. Some Royals come, some not - and royal teenagers very rarely attend events like these, especially funerals.

• Netherlands: Amalia and Arianne were at home, Alexia is in UK.
  • Denmark: Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephie were at home.
  • Belgium: Elizabeth (I don't know if she is in Belgium or UK) and her brothers and sister were at home.
  • Luxemburg: the same, at home.
  • Sweden: CP Victoria was at home.
  • Norway: Ingrid and her brother were at home.
  • SPAIN: Intanta Elena, Felipe, Victoria, Infanta Christina, Juan, Pablo, Miguel and Irene ALL THE SUCCESION LINE minus two (#1 and #2 on the line) were in Greece for TWO days. ¿Can you imagine if something happens and Leonor and Sofia were in Greece too?. It can be say the only one of Spanish succesion line who was in Spain this two days is Infanta Sofía.

Prince Ernst August of Hanover, another godchild, attended yesterday's dinner - today I only saw his brother and (his brother's) wife; but he did pay his respects by coming over to Greece.

Ernst August was in the church this morning as well :)

Chains (collars) for royal orders - well very senior royal orders - are usually only lent to the recipient for their lifetime. Many are very old and very expensive. When a recipient dies they usually have a duty to return them to the sovereign or other official of the order. I am sure with all these senior orders it is part of a lovely process involving a nice talk over a cup of tea to reminisce with the Sovereign. Don't forget that in many cases the heir can expect to see the (or at least a) collar again in time.

Why should the necklace return to King Felipe? What is this rule? What is the meaning of this?

The Order of the Golden Fleece has a limited number of necklaces and when a member of the order dies the family must return the necklace to the order.

It was a beautiful ceremony. I just found it a bit weird that there were hardly any hats were worn by the royal ladies, especially the greek ones! The Queen of the Netherlands was dressed most appropriate from my point of view.

It was interesting to see that, as now de facto heir, Constantine Alexios sat beside his mother in the 1st row and not together with his siblings in the 2nd row. So, obviously, the GRF still is very conscious of the line of succession.
The television transmission was perfect, I found! The greeks obviously manage what the BBC or ITV do not manage: Catching up with all the Royals present, and not just showing the greek royal family from a distance...!
Very moving to see that they placed lilies of the valley on The King´s coffin which was the principle flower in Queen Anne-Marie´s bridal bouquet!

Absolutely beautiful he came! So touching and thougtful..! I guess he was not part of the official romanian delegation and went in his own capacity..? That makes it even more special!

No hats goes with being unobtrusive at a funeral, the ladies did very well not wearing hats, fascinatirs or big jewellry, its unappropriate.

I think the service was beautiful.
My office happens to be near the Grande Bretagne, lots of people coming and going and lot of police. Everything was impressively orderly in the streets.
As I mentioned in one of my first posts here, Anne Marie and Nikolaos are regarded very positively by a vast majority of people in Greece, royalists or not. Talking with a colleague today about how sad Nicholas looked, she casually told me she meets him at her local supermarket now and then.
Pavlos' greek was very good, although it is clear he didn't learn it here. When I first heard them talking, 30 years ago, I remember thinking that Nicholas and Alexia were fluent, Nicholas still is, speaks exactly like a native.
I don't know what happens next, I found MC and CA very dignified, bear in mind that the late Constantine was the only one anti-royalists held responsible for historical/political mistakes, not other family members and the affection for Anne Marie is testimony to that.

Chains (collars) for royal orders - well very senior royal orders - are usually only lent to the recipient for their lifetime. Many are very old and very expensive. When a recipient dies they usually have a duty to return them to the sovereign or other official of the order. I am sure with all these senior orders it is part of a lovely process involving a nice talk over a cup of tea to reminisce with the Sovereign. Don't forget that in many cases the heir can expect to see the (or at least a) collar again in time.

I see, thank you for the information.:flowers:

The Order of the Golden Fleece has a limited number of necklaces and when a member of the order dies the family must return the necklace to the order.

Thank you, now it is clear.:flowers:

No hats goes with being unobtrusive at a funeral, the ladies did very well not wearing hats, fascinatirs or big jewellry, its unappropriate.

For sure there was a bit of everything: heavy mantillas (Maxima), headbands (MC),
pillbox hats (Margaretha and others). But wearing hats or somber fascinators/headpieces is far from inappropriate.

I believe the dress code was kept low key on purpose: men wore no morning coats, which I didn’t expect. Women toned it down as well. Also, the rigid windy weather was not the best to pull out big hats and stilettos.

I loved them all, except Maxima. But I expected a hat from Anne-Marie as well.

It is never unappropriate. Queen Margrethe wore a hat. Queen Mathilde wore a hat. Queen Silvia wore a hat. Queen Máxima wore a lace veil. Queen Noor wore a lace veil. Princess Beatrix wore a hat. Princess Benedikte wore a hat.

The North-European monarchies simply are more hat-wearing than the South-European monarchies (Monaco also has a tradition of hats and lace veils by the way). By accident last week there was an article somewhere which mentioned that a Queen like Máxima has 600 hats (some 30 hats per year, and she is 20 years in the Netherlands) and Queen Letizia 20 hats in total. But that is only because the customs and dresscode differ in their countries.

Last edited:

He and his wife were in the Church. Also their mother.

I was impressed with the funeral, the family, and the Greek people who came out to mourn.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your updates. It seems to have been a dignified and lovely ceremony.
Queen Anna-Marie is a beautiful lady. She’s getting more and more beautiful with age.
Queen Anne Marie was also beautiful as an 18 year old bride!

• Netherlands: Amalia and Arianne were at home, Alexia is in UK.
  • Denmark: Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephie were at home.
  • Belgium: Elizabeth (I don't know if she is in Belgium or UK) and her brothers and sister were at home.
  • Luxemburg: the same, at home.
  • Sweden: CP Victoria was at home.
  • Norway: Ingrid and her brother were at home.
  • SPAIN: Intanta Elena, Felipe, Victoria, Infanta Christina, Juan, Pablo, Miguel and Irene ALL THE SUCCESION LINE minus two (#1 and #2 on the line) were in Greece for TWO days. ¿Can you imagine if something happens and Leonor and Sofia were in Greece too?. It can be say the only one of Spanish succesion line who was in Spain this two days is Infanta Sofía.
You just confirmed what I was saying!

Wasn't the blond lady coming together Prince Christian of Hannove and his wife, Princess Ekaterina?

Prince Michael of Greece got old, i was shocked. I think behind him was Alexandra his daughter with her son.

I think all the European Royal Houses were there, except maybe (i don't recognize them well) : Albania, Austria, Italy, France and Portugal.

Also i noticed that Mathew Kumar did his cross in the orthodox way, so I presume he has been baptized.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
A very fitting and well planned out send off for King Constantine. I’m sure that Anne Marie is very proud of her family today, they all did him proud.

I’m so impressed with the royal turnout, every family sent senior members. Pavlos was so warm and welcoming to them all as they arrived at the chapel.

As a side note, Marie Chantal comes across as somewhat distant. Perhaps she is just not the type to show emotions in public.

Wasn't the blond lady coming together Prince Christian of Hannove and his wife, Princess Ekaterina?

Prince Michael of Greece got old, i was shocked. I think behind him was Alexandra his daughter with her son.

I think all the European Royal Houses were there, except maybe (i don't recognize them well) : Albania, Austria, Italy, France and Portugal.

Also i noticed that Mathew Kumar did his cross in the orthodox way, so I presume he has been baptized.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Prince Christian and Ernst August’s mother was there too. I don’t believe the Habsburgs were close to the Greek royals, the Braganzas (Portugal and Brazil) I don’t believe were close to them either, The Aosta branch of Savoy are moving to Italy so probably why they didn’t come and I don’t believe the mainline Savoys were close to the Greek royals and the French royals although Prince Michaels mother was an Orléans Princess, I don’t think there was much connection to them other than that.

Last edited:
Why should the necklace return to King Felipe? What is this rule? What is the meaning of this?

Royal orders typically need to be returned once the recipient dies; that even applies to the lowest grades of an order such as 'member of the Order of Orange-Nassau' (my parents got them 12 years ago but it included the instruction that it will have to be returned upon their passing).

Not sure which picture of Christian with a blond lady you referred to but Christian arrived with his Peruvian (dark haired) wife. I assume his brother Ernst August also arrived with his wife given that others state that he attended, so I must have missed that picture - but yes, his wife is blond. They left yesterday's dinner together, so clearly both are/were in Greece.

The king of England was a crown bearer in king Constantine’s wedding being the groom second cousin and his first born child has king Constantine as one of his Godfathers but they send the sister of the monarch who is in her 70’s to repress the king and the prince of wales who is in his 40’s.
Sending the 72 years old princess who does more than double the engagements the 40 years old heir apparent do to represent them is just weird.

But again not that weird considering that non of them showed up to the funeral of their first cousin the Magrave of Baden last week while the king of Belgium attended.

England hasn't had a King for over 300 years. Sadly, the British Royals have a history of sending "lesser" members of the family to foreign royal occasions. The blame for this really lies with the UK Government. When the late Queen Elizabeth first became Queen she was forbidden by Churchill from attending because, as the "new kid on the block" she would not have been given pride of place and there was no way the UK Government was going to allow a British monarch to be at the bottom of the heap. Who knows, perhaps the King has been told by Sunak that he couldn't go because he wouldn't be given pride of place. Most British people don't even know that King Constantine is dead because there has been no mention in the media. I have just watched the main BBC news programme and there was no mention of the funeral.

All the more sign William could have attended. It clearly was not an issue of safety for a senior royal. Nor busy schedule as Anne has one of the busiest.

While Gabriella is the only royal godchild to attend, all the others were either represented by their parents who chose Constantine (Beatrix for Constantijn, Alexander for his twin sons, Maria for Grand Duke Georgi) or their spouse (Radu for Margareta).

The Princess Royal, an Olympian (1976) and fellow IOC member, was absolutely the correct choice to attend the funeral on behalf of the BRF

Not sure which picture of Christian with a blond lady you referred to but Christian arrived with his Peruvian (dark haired) wife. I assume his brother Ernst August also arrived with his wife given that others state that he attended, so I must have missed that picture - but yes, his wife is blond. They left yesterday's dinner together, so clearly both are/were in Greece.
Please check my response, the other lady who is blonde apart from Ekatarina is Prince Christian and Ernst August Jnr mother who was at the funeral

England hasn't had a King for over 300 years. Sadly, the British Royals have a history of sending "lesser" members of the family to foreign royal occasions. The blame for this really lies with the UK Government. When the late Queen Elizabeth first became Queen she was forbidden by Churchill from attending because, as the "new kid on the block" she would not have been given pride of place and there was no way the UK Government was going to allow a British monarch to be at the bottom of the heap. Who knows, perhaps the King has been told by Sunak that he couldn't go because he wouldn't be given pride of place. Most British people don't even know that King Constantine is dead because there has been no mention in the media. I have just watched the main BBC news programme and there was no mention of the funeral.
How is Anne a lesser royal? Btw. Charles had a meeting with the President of Cyprus today so he wasn’t relaxing or twiddling his thumbs doing nothing.

Please check my response, the other lady who is blonde apart from Ekatarina is Prince Christian and Ernst August Jnr mother who was at the funeral

It would be helpful if you included the link to the picture you are talking about as I've only seen a picture of Christian and his wife Alessandra (as well as pictures of EA and Ekatarina leaving yesterday's dinner) - and the previous poster to whom I responded only mentioned one blond lady.

How is Anne a lesser royal? Btw. Charles had a meeting with the President of Cyprus today so he wasn’t relaxing or twiddling his thumbs doing nothing.

Most other royal families had the Sovereign him/herself attending and if the monarch was not able to attend (for example, Norway - most likely due to health), they sent their heirs - in addition to either monarch or heir, several families had other family members accompanying them (for example princess Beatrix (a former monarch), princess Christina for Sweden and princess Märtha Louise for Norway). The UK did neither, so yes, Anne is a 'lesser royal' compared to primary delegate of the other royal delegations in that she is neither the monarch nor the heir.

It would be helpful if you included the link to the picture you are talking about as I've only seen a picture of Christian and his wife Alessandra (as well as pictures of EA and Ekatarina leaving yesterday's dinner) - and the previous poster to whom I responded only mentioned one blond lady.
I saw both the Hannover boys with their wives and their mother arrive to the church. I also saw them inside the church and at Tatoi (not Chantal, but I'm sure she was there somewhere).
Unfortunately I have no photo of them.

Edit: If you have access to Instagram then pic three is of the Hannovers. Only one not visible is Ernst August who's out of the frame.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnejM1JOH89/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:
I've just watched the service and it was beautiful. I knew Lady Gabriella would go as she seemed very close to the late King.

Back
Top Bottom