General News for Charles III and Queen Camilla, Part 1: September 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Tudor crown back then?

Looks like it:

"It is envisaged that the form of the Crown seen in the new cypher will be adopted as the form used in representations of the Royal Arms and in Military and Crown Badges in the new reign."

When will new official photos of Charles and Camilla be released?

When will new official photos of Charles and Camilla be released?

My guess is that the pictures wll ony get taken after they return to London. Perhaps they will be released in time for Charles' birthday. For now, they will continue to use older pcitures they have.

King Charles sent a message to the people of Atlantic Canada following the devastation caused by storm Fiona:

** Message **

Well yes I got that. Just wasn’t aware it went anywhere apart from fact it wasn’t the Queens monogram. I wonder how many things it will actually get on. I got very excited once being in the west of Ireland spotting a post box, painted green and having Victorias cypher on it…with what looked like the St Edwards crown.

Post boxes in Scotland have the Scottish crown on it and not the royal cypher. This was because of the controversy of the late Queen being styled Elizabeth the second.

Last edited:
On the royal cypher I assume Mbruno means. The late Queen had a representation of St Edwards crown on her Royal cypher but monarchs from 1902 until her reign had used the same crown emblem as Charles' which is called "The Tudor Crown" it is not thought based on any physical crown.

The Crown on the late Queen's cypher can be seen here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Edward's_Crown

but Charles is using this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor...wn,sovereign source of governmental authority.

There is a scottish version of the cypher with the Scottish crown. I believe this is the first time this has been done with a royal cypher.

:previous: Hmm, I was just thinking, it will mean changing all the Military hat badges that use the crown. In the RNZAF when I joined up I had a brass hat badge topped with the Queen's Crown. When I was a Sgt, one of the very old Veterans in the bar on ANZAC Day gave me his hat badge with the King's Crown as a keepsake. It was brass but still kept with a brilliant polished finish and the engravings were subtlely, but uniformly, blurred by years and years of polishing with a brush. I treasure it still.

Now that was just the hat badges, but then, of course, all the brass buttons on dress uniforms will also need to be changed. It is amazing the multitude of minutiae involved in changing the symbols of the monarch.

Post boxes in Scotland have the Scottish crown on it and not the royal cypher. This was because of the controversy of the late Queen being styled Elizabeth the second.

Is this because Elizabeth I wasn’t the Queen of Scotland?

That was the main issue for the Scots. That's when someone, usually credited to Churchill, decided that going forward, the regnal number would always be the highest from either England or Scotland, hence "Elizabeth II." Oddly enough, Charles is the 3rd of both nations, and William will equally be the 5th of both.

That was the main issue for the Scots. That's when someone, usually credited to Churchill, decided that going forward, the regnal number would always be the highest from either England or Scotland, hence "Elizabeth II." Oddly enough, Charles is the 3rd of both nations, and William will equally be the 5th of both.

Thanks. That’s interesting.

How convenient that Charles and William are the same number in either country. Lol

The first Charles was the second son of James VI and I so he was the 1st of both England and Scotland.

The William's are different as England had two and Scotland also had two before William III became the King separately of England and Scotland. The Act of Union came after his death so William IV was the only previous William of the United Kingdom.

There were three options I think:

Take the highest number based on the past so a King James would be James VIII.

Have separate numbers in England and Scotland so Elizabeth II in England and Elizabeth I in Scotland

Start the numbering again from the Act of Union so Elizabeth would have been Elizabeth I of the UK.

I think they came up with the best option ... but maybe if they had done one of the others, with 70 years behind us, we may have been happy with that anyway.

Last edited:
Still hard to get used to King Charles but we all knew this day would come.

King Charles and Queen Camilla have sent a message to the "President of Indonesia following the recent football stadium disaster in Malang":

** Message **

The monarch is King or Queen of Scots, not of Scotand, but the reason waas because of the regnal number II. When the late Queen acended the throne she was the first Elizabeth to be Queen of Scots. Not only that, but she was the first Elizabeth of the UK, and also of Australia, Canada and all the Commonwealth realms. When she was proclaimed Elizabeth II there was widespread anger because it was seen as an insult to Scotland and a deliberate attempt to ignore Scottish history.

William, if he keeps that name, will William the 4th in Scotland and William the 5th in England.

The William's are different as England had two and Scotland also had two before William III became the King separately of England and Scotland. The Act of Union came after his death so William IV was the only previous William of the United Kingdom.

There were three options I think:

Take the highest number based on the past so a King James would be James VIII.

Scotland only had one William before William of Orange so he was William II in Scotland.

Taking the highest number might seem straight forward but given that Westminster has a history of ignoring Scottish tradition and custom, I can't see it working. If a future King was Alexander or Constantine I can't see them being styled IV, or a Margaret being styled II and think that what was said in 1952 would just be ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:
The monarch is King or Queen of Scots, not of Scotand, but the reason waas because of the regnal number II. When the late Queen acended the throne she was the first Elizabeth to be Queen of Scots. Not only that, but she was the first Elizabeth of the UK, and also of Australia, Canada and all the Commonwealth realms. When she was proclaimed Elizabeth II there was widespread anger because it was seen as an insult to Scotland and a deliberate attempt to ignore Scottish history.

Thanks. I’d forgotten it’s of Scots not Scotland. Not sure why. I’m heard “Mary, Queen of Scots” plenty of times. Lol

Last edited:
King Charles and Queen Camilla have sent a message to the President of Ireland following the explosion in Donegal:

** Message **

King Charles is to guest star in an episode of The Repair Shop for BBC's Centenary celebrations

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-Repair-Shop-BBCs-centenary-celebrations.html

Well that should be interesting. It makes sense that he's a fan of the show considering what they do. It's also good that it's showcasing The Prince's Trust apprentices and their traditional crafts work.

Kind of a coup for the show, filmed when he was POW but now they have a King participating.

Is this the right thread? Hope so!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...constitutional-law-expert-help-slim-monarchy/

[FONT=&quot]King Charles has hired a constitutional law expert as his deputy private secretary as he prepares to slim down the monarchy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dr John Sorabji, a law lecturer at University College London (UCL) and a former barrister at Nine St John Street Chambers, has been recruited by Buckingham Palace to beef up the new monarch’s team.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He will play a supporting role to the King’s long-standing private secretary, Sir Clive Alderton, who has worked in the royal household since 2015.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A royal source described Dr Sorabji as a “good man” and “super smart”, saying he would be instrumental in “building and strengthening” the court of Charles III.[/FONT]

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1686264/king-charles-slimmed-down-monarchy-royal-family-cuts

The family and their advisers are considering what happens to many of the scores of organisations previously represented by a royal patron whose presence can help raise funds and bring attention to causes.

King Charles has reportedly ruled out any cuts to the number of working royals. How do I find the "future of the British monarchy" thread?! I tried the search box but it didn't bring it up.

Currently there aren't that many working royals:

The King and Queen Consort (73 and 75)
The Prince and Princess of Wales (both 40)
The Earl and Countess of Wessex (58 and 57)
The Princess Royal (72)
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (78 and 76)
The Duke of Kent (87)
Princess Alexandra (85)

There is no need to 'cut' anyone'. Nature will do it for him over the next decade when in all likelihood those numbers will be reduced through illness or death.

There are now 11 and I can see that being reduced to 9 in a year or so ... as I expect the Kent's to retire shortly after the Coronation, if not before.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gloucester didn't retire when they turn 80 as well so in 4 years I can see the number down to 7 by which time there will only be two working royals under 60.

How do I find the "future of the British monarchy" thread?! I tried the search box but it didn't bring it up.

Did you use the options of "Search titles only" and "Show results as threads"? :flowers: Using these choices, when I searched the British forum for "future" it was the first thread in the list of results.

Alternatively, one can use Find (normally associated with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F) in one's browser to search the forum index. The Future of the British Monarchy thread is currently on the first page of the British forum index.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/

Direct link: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/the-future-of-the-british-monarchy-44877.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom