Monarchy of Portugal 1: 2004 - February 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marengo said:
Leonor was the one who was so hated by everybody then?
Yes, Leonor Telles de Menezes (wife of D. Fernando) is the one known as "A Aleivosa" (The Slanderous), because she seduced D. Fernando, who managed the dissolution of her previous wedding to one of his courtiers (alleging remote family connections). The People didn't like it and it caused social and political instability. You can read more about it here.

Last edited:
Elsa M. said:
Yes, Leonor Telles de Menezes (wife of D. Fernando) is the one known as "A Aleivosa" (The Slanderous), because she seduced D. Fernando, who managed the dissolution of her previous wedding to one of his courtiers (alleging remote family connections). The People didn't like it and it caused social and political instability. You can read more about it here.

This would be such good material for a movie... if only we could interest Hollywood for it ;). The things I read about her was in the cartoon/historybook for children, from the fascist times, so everything was a bit more positive there... Anyway, I still like Leonor, she adds some colour to history.

btw, my sister-in-law often signs things (non official) with Ines de Castro (which is one of her last names, as you in Portugal all have so many!), which still makes as her as happy as a naughty schoolgirl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marengo said:
Anyway, I still like Leonor, she adds some colour to history.
I agree with you. The Portuguese chronicler Fernão Lopes (1380?– 1460?), in Crónica de D. João I, comments on the strategist character of D.ª Leonor Telles, A Aleivosa, and notices that, in spite of her censurable conduct, after she became queen, the women of the time learned to have new "manners" with their husbands. They could accept or reject the model, but, still, they would see her as a mirror... ;)

Last edited:
Bringing on some more curiosities about the Portuguese monarchs...

D. Carlos de Bragança, who reigned between 1889 and 1908, was an extraordinary intelligent and dynamic man that showed interest for diversified activities, such as Art and Science (namelly Ornithology and Oceanography). The merit of his works was internationally recognized and sanctioned by the most important scientific institutions of the time. Throughout the years, D. Carlos was able to form a zoological collection (including naturalized animals, conserved in liquid, as well as an extensive bibliography about his scientific activity) of incalculable historical and scientific value. Nowadays, the personal compilation of king D. Carlos is kept in the Aquarium Vasco da Gama.

Besides, HM was also a prominent painter, whose vocation was revealed since early age. His enthronement took place in 1889 but, in spite of all the functions, he always managed to find some free time for drawing and painting. After participated in several exhibitions, his water-colours were most renewed for choosing motifs taken out of the Portuguese landscape; from the vast plains of Alentejano or the perfumed moorlands of Ribatejo, to the grassy mountains of the North, but, above all, the Portuguese sea and its boats.

Here are some of those sketches. From Museu da Marinha:

Photo host: ImageShack
http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/7658/fig3519dg.jpg
http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/9672/fig3521ft.jpg
http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/5997/fig3539uu.jpg

Last edited:
Elsa M. said:
The love between Pedro and Inês is immortalized in several plays and poems throughout Europe, including the most important Portuguese epopee, The Lusíadas by Luís Vaz de Camões.

A French writer, Henry de Montherlant, has written La Reine Morte (the dead queen), which subject is this tragic love.

Danielane said:
A French writer, Henry de Montherlant, has written La Reine Morte (the dead queen), which subject is this tragic love.
The most interesting IMO is the diversity of approaches that this love story has inpired throughout the centuries. The first reference was probably made in the 14th century (by the Jewish David ben Yom Tov Ibn Bilia) and today the story keeps feeding on the post-modernist imagination of many novelists and poets, who are now more interested in undoing myths and languages.

This is a great thread! Does anyone know of books about the Portuguese monarchy in English? :)

Can anybody give me a quick summary as to what the Royal Family is doing today. Do they still play a role in portagal. Wear do they live, did they get to keep the jewels? Are they active members of the portegues society?

Elsa M. said:
D. Carlos de Bragança, who reigned between 1889 and 1908, was an extraordinary intelligent and dynamic man that showed interest for diversified activities, such as Art and Science (namelly Ornithology and Oceanography).
He was the one married to Amelie of Orleans, right? I have her memoires, but did not read them yet. Did you read them? His death was such a tragic event, esp. D. Amalia protecting her son int he carriage, terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marengo said:
He was the one married to Amelie of Orleans, right? I have her memoires, but did not read them yet. Did you read them? His death was such a tragic event, esp. D. Amalia protecting her son int he carriage, terrible.
Yes, Marengo, D. Carlos was married to Amelie of Orleans a.k.a. Queen D. Amélia. The historical cognomina which the penultimate king of Portugal is well-known for (The Diplomat, The Oceanographer and The Martyrized) are very revealing of the barbaric way how he was assassinated.

First of all, we must bear in mind that his reign was characterized by constant political and economic crises, with the consequent popular discontentment. It was during this period, for example, that the
United Kingdom addressed the Ultimatum of 1890, intimating Portugal to leave the territories between Angola and Mozambique. As Portugal was then bankrupt, the country couldn’t afford a war and thus important areas in the African colonies were lost. Besides, and to face the general crisis that was affecting the country, D. Carlos nominated the liberal João Franco as prime-minister, without summoning elections. Consequently, the republican movement was strengthening more and more…

Then, in February 1908, when the royal family was returning from the
palace of Vila Viçosa, on their way back to the royal palace in Lisbon, and while crossing the Terreiro do Paço (a great square in the downtown of Lisbon), where a crowd was formed to greet the royal family, two republicans shot the carriage. The king died immediately, Prince Luís Filipe was mortally wounded and Infante Manuel was hit in the arm. Days later, Manuel was proclaimed King of Portugal… he would be the last king of the fragile monarchy and his reign would last just 2 years (1908-1910).

Once arrived to the throne, D. Manuel II tried to solve the profound disagreement experienced by the whole Portuguese society, by immediately dismissing the dictator João Franco and his entire cabinet, free elections were summoned and the republicans had then an overwhelming victory. The days were counted and soon the revolution proclaiming the Republic would erupt, on
October 5th 1910.

D. Manuel II fled to the exile in
London, where he would die, at the age of 43.

As he had no children, D. Manuel recognised his cousin, D. Duarte Nuno as legitimate heir. D. Duarte Nuno was the head of the other Bragança line, descending from D. Miguel (and so opponent to the senior line descending from D. Pedro IV, which D. Manuel II was the last chain of), but by marrying D.ª Maria Francisca de Orleans-Bragança (great-granddaughter of D. Pedro IV, aka Emperor Pedro I of Brazil), the two lines of royal descents were finnally united**. That’s why D. Duarte Pio is the current Duke of Bragança and presumptive heir to the disestablished Throne… despite some very few monarchists, who still don’t recognise D. Duarte as the legitimate heir.

**To understand this, we must go back to 1826, when D. João VI died and two opposite fractions, led by the two Infantes, divided the country: the Liberal Fraction (led by Dom Pedro) and the Absolutists Fraction (led by Infante Dom Miguel). As on the occasion of King Dom João's death, the crown prince, Dom Pedro, was living in
Brazil (where he had been acclaimed as Emperor), he nominated his daughter, Dona Maria II, as Queen of Portugal. However, in 1828, his younger brother (D. Miguel) overthrew Queen Dona Maria II and initiated a civil war, which ceased with the re-entry of Dom Pedro (coming back from Brazil, to bring the legitimacy back and expel his brother, Dom Miguel). Following his defeat and surrender in May 1834, the Courts were assembled and a new Constitution was drafted, declaring D. Miguel and his descendents ineligible to succeed to the crown and thus forbid, under death penalty, to return to Portugal.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Elsa, it was easy to understand. Thanks for all the effort you have put into this. :)

Princejonnhy25 said:
Can anybody give me a quick summary as to what the Royal Family is doing today. Are they active members of the portegues society?
Perhaps you could start by reading wahat has been posted in page nr. 4 about D. Duarte and D.ª Isabel:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f75/monarchy-portugal-7711-4.html

As you can see, the current Duke of Bragança is an active member of several organisations with ecological objectives and working for the preservation and dissemination of the history and cultural heritage of Portugal throughout the world. All these activities are developed however in a discreet way, in respect to the republican institutions (e.g., he collaborates with the governments, in particular with the Ministry of the Foreign Affairs, concerning visits to those countries which Portugal may have more distant relations with). That is perhaps why, in spite of we being a country with strong republian ideals, the Duke of Bragança is respected and, to proove it, there's his wedding , which was turned into a State event...

Do they still play a role in portagal. Wear do they live, did they get to keep the jewels?
All the royal wealth (including the jewels) were nationalized, after the proclamation of the Republic.
The royal family now lives in a house in Sintra (outskirts of Lisbon) - see the photos posted in page nr 5 and page nr 6.

Last edited:
THANK YOU so much for the quick summary. I have always been intrested in Brazils and Portugals monarchies but I could never find a good enough site.

I am Portuguese and am very proud of my roots, and of our history, expecialy the monarchy. All the pictuers everyone has posted are very beautifull, I do love the older pictuers. I was woundering if anyone had any more old picturs of the royal family pre-1910, and post-1910. I also have a question, its very rare to see HRH Dona Isabel wearing any tiara's, aside from the tiara she wore on her wedding day are there any other pictuers of her wearing any other tiara's? Thanx again for anyone that help with the pictures.
Danny S.R.

Here's a pic of HRH the Duke of Bragança with Dona Isabel wearing a bandeau-type diamond tiara which may be a convertable necklace.
The photo was taken at one of the celebrations for the Danish Royal Wedding in Copenhagen, May 2004. pic courtesy Getty Images.

2d028a98.jpg

yes i do remember that tiara, i saw a pic. of D. Duarte's mother wearing it at a party in portugal.

Elsa, thank you so much for your elaborate reply to my questions, it is a very interesting post, I am enjoying all the background information you are sharing (I am a history student, so addicted to it), again: thank you very much!

From Diário de Notícias (January 15th 2006)

The Duke of Bragança participated last Saturday in the III Meeting of the Royal Brotherhood of the Maranho, which made him its Honourable Member. There, Dom Duarte Pio left a donation of € 9.000, for the recovery of the burnt areas in the municipality of Pampilhosa da Serra.

During the Summer of 2005, violent fires had fustigated Pampilhosa da Serra and destroyed more than 18.000 hectares (the equivalent of 2/3 of its forest).

Last edited:
hey elsa thanx for the pics they are very nice. D. Duarte is a very good man always trying to help other but who sometimes is over looked for the good he does, just like the whole thing with Timore Leste. I have a question for you Portuguese members, what are your feelings about the up comeing Presidential elections in Portugal? Also if any of you are suporters of D. Duarte's cause, the royal cause(Causa Real), like I am what do you think are somethings that the Duke and the royal associations do to better promote the cause?

I have have done some research on the whole issue of Dona Maria Pia, and her claim to the thrown. First of all there is no prof that she is in fact daughter of D.Carlos, the name that shows up on the offical, not the altered one, but the offical document of baptisam states her father as Carlos de Borbon, does not say anything of braganca. Also if she is or was infact his daughter then she has no right to claim anything because the constitution at the time did not allow children who were born outside of marrige to claim any titles of the royal family, and of course was not added to the line of sussecion to the thrown. Secound this so called Dom Rosario cant in anyway claim his right as king, first of all he is not in anyway related to Maria Pia, which by the way isnt even her real name, and secound heis not portuguese. The last constitution of the mornarchy clearly states that only a person who is in anyway related to the last king and who is portuguese may claim his/her right to the thrown, he is not related to her, and he is not portuguese. The funny thing is that Maria Pia only made her claim as daughter of D.Carlos after the death of D.Manuel, you would think that if she was so right in what she claim she would have said something before while he was still alive. Clearly that whole thing of Maria Pia and Rosario is all a scam, D.Manuel before is death out down on paper that D.Duarte Nuno and his desendents would be the continuation of the portuguese royal family.

Last January 13th, D. Duarte was the guest of the youth radio show of Antena 3 "Prova Oral". Apparently, it was a very amusing moment, when the Duke was able to demonstrate a terrific sense of humour about himself.

See the comments in the blog of the show:
http://provaoral.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_provaoral_archive.html

Last edited:
Next February 1st, a plate remembering the regicide of King D. Carlos and Prince D. Luís Filipe will be inaugurated at the Praça do Comércio (Lisboa), around 5:00 o'clock in the afternoon. Later, at 7:00 p.m., a mass will be celebrated in São Vicente de Fora with the attendence of the Duke and Duchess of Bragança. Finally, the retenue will go to the National Pantheon, where D. Duarte and D.ª Isabel will deposit a crown of flowers near the tombs.

Last edited:
Next January 31st, D. Duarte will be interviewed in Radio TSF, at 7:00 PM (at the show Pessoal e intransmissivel, of Carlos Vaz Marques). He will talk about this memorial of the Regicide.

Today marks the day that our dear king and prince, D.Carlos and Prince Luis Filipe. All portuguese shoud on this day remember the great men and and royals they were...

Elsa M. said:
Next January 31st, D. Duarte will be interviewed in Radio TSF, at 7:00 PM (at the show Pessoal e intransmissivel, of Carlos Vaz Marques). He will talk about this memorial of the Regicide.
For those who may be interested in hearing the interview, here's the link where it's stored:

http://tsf.sapo.pt/online/radio/dossiers/tsf/arquivo/pessoal03/programas.asp

Select the one entitled D. Duarte Pio de Bragança. The interview is divided in 3 parts. If you click on the loud-speakers, you'll hear the whole piece.

thank you elsa for that link. i think he spoke very well, though i think he could have explained better the pros of haveing a king, and not a president. but all in all hespoke very well, andits always nice to hear him speak, i think he has alot of good opinions and views that should be talked about more expecialy in the media so all the portuguese can hear what he has to say.

He played his job; of course that his role is to show that Portugal would be better if it had a king as head of state, instead of a president of the republic. The guideline of all of D. Duarte’s interviews is to underline the fact that the most developed countries in the world are all monarchies (Sweden, Norway, Holland, Spain, England, etc.) and, with this, he tries to infer that if Portugal was a monarchy, we all would be better now... Of course that everybody knows that if Sweden is now the most developed country in the world (and I’m not just talking in economic terms, but essentially in terms of quality of life, education and mentality) this circumstance does not owe to the fact they have a king instead of a president, but to the Scandinavian capability of innovating and broaden their horizons… just like Finland, for example, which is a republic… Well, this leads us to political discussions that are not allowed by our guidelines, but D. Duarte made a good stance, when he demystified the idea that we, Portuguese people, have on that Republic corresponds to Democracy, while Monarchy corresponds to Absolutism. It’s not by chance that this happens, if we think, for example, on the reasons that caused the regicide of king D. Carlos and the subsequent foundation of the Republic... but it is truth that they are different things and today great part of the Monarchies are democratic (and some even more than the Republics).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom