Pre-Abdication, Information and Musings’ thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm something about the way the Court’s statement said

HRH The Crown Prince will thus arrive at Christiansborg Palace as a crown prince and leave it as King

makes me think it might not be. Otherwise they’d surely have said as soon as the abdication is signed he would be King? Feels like they are setting it up not to be but hopefully I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Today, the schedule for the change of throne on Sunday 14 January is published:

At 14.00: Council of State at Christiansborg Castle.

At 15.00: Proclamation by His Majesty King Frederik X from the balcony of Christiansborg Castle.

At 17.00: Transfer of the royal banners from Christian IX's Palace to Frederik VIII's Palace, Amalienborg.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1rr3git8nY/?img_index=1

No scheduled carriage ride back to Amalienborg then?

Thanks to everyone for all the updates! I checked the time difference with my PC's clock, the add in a second clock setting, and Denmark is six hours ahead of our USA/Canada New York time zone.

So, anything that happens live at noon I'll try to get up early by 6 AM to catch up with the Royal Forum's live coverage on that day. I can't believe at my age I would witness two major history events in one year, Charles and Frederick taking over the crowns of the two longest reigning monarchs in European history. And both were Queens, too.

No scheduled carriage ride back to Amalienborg then?

The press release says ”closer details of the program will be released later”

They may want to wait and see how the weather will be before they decide if cars or carriages should be used

At 15.00: Proclamation by His Majesty King Frederik X from the balcony of Christiansborg Castle.
This translation is not correct. There will be no proclamation by the King but a proclamation of the new King by the Prime Minister ( by saying "Long live King Frederik X.")
They used to say: King .... is dead. Long live King ... or in Margrethe's case: Long live Queen M II.
I wonder if in the case of an abdication the abdicating monarch will be mentioned in the proclamation.

The press release says ”closer details of the program will be released later”

They may want to wait and see how the weather will be before they decide if cars or carriages should be used

That is reasonable, especially considering the current record cold spell in Northern Europe.

Any ideas regarding attire to the occasion? Traditionally it occurs only when the monarch has passed away, and therefore mourning attire.

Obviously, this is a different situation. Can we expect Mary and/or Margrethe to wear long dresses? I wonder if the all the children, or only Christian, also attend?

Any ideas regarding attire to the occasion? Traditionally it occurs only when the monarch has passed away, and therefore mourning attire.

Obviously, this is a different situation. Can we expect Mary and/or Margrethe to wear long dresses? I wonder if the all the children, or only Christian, also attend?
Queen Margrethe II.i and Queen Ingrid wore long gowns and Queen Margrethe II. also the sash of the Order of the Elpehant. And in 1972 there was a second Balcony appearance at Amalienborg with Frederik and Joachim present.

I doubt that. But perhaps the signing of the abdication will.
I guess it might be similarily televised like the abdication/ accession in the Netherlands back in 1980 and in 2013, just without the following Hommage.

Queen Margrethe II.i and Queen Ingrid wore long gowns and Queen Margrethe II. also the sash of the Order of the Elpehant. And in 1972 there was a second Balcony appearance at Amalienborg with Frederik and Joachim present.

I hope they keep the "court dress" dress code. It's a nice way to elevate a pretty simple ascension ceremony.

Hmm something about the way the Court’s statement said

HRH The Crown Prince will thus arrive at Christiansborg Palace as a crown prince and leave it as King

makes me think it might not be. Otherwise they’d surely have said as soon as the abdication is signed he would be King? Feels like they are setting it up not to be but hopefully I’m wrong.

I don't know what the statement says exactly, but it appears to me , from the text of the Succession to the Throne Act, that the signing of the declaration of abdication immediately triggers the succession exactly as if the former monarch had passed away.

I don't know what the statement says exactly, but it appears to me , from the text of the Succession to the Throne Act, that the signing of the declaration of abdication immediately triggers the succession exactly as if the former monarch had passed away.
That is how i understand. The Moment Margrethe has signed the document of abdication Frederik will become King. At last it was like these in the Netherlands.

Oh yes sorry I wasn’t doubting that the signing is the moment Frederik will become King. I was talking about whether the signing would be shown in TV and suggesting the statement hinted it might not be.

Probably the SWB, Greek and Nordic royal families as well the Presidents of Iceland and Finland will attend the proclamation

The director of the Information Department at the Swedish Royal Court, Margareta Thorgren, said today to Svensk Damtidning:

It is also unclear whether Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, who are also very good friends of Frederik and Crown Princess Mary in private, will be there.
- We have no information yet, says Margareta Thorgren.
Frågetecknet kring Victoria och Daniel – hovets svar _*Svensk Dam

Two Crosses are available , the one of Queen Constantine ans the one of Prince Henrik.
Will they be ready to change the cypher M to F?
Which Collar will wear the future King , his Grand Father's ??

Which Collar and Decorations will the future King Frederik wear , can he use his Grand Farther's?
The future Queen Mary will wear Prince Henrik's Collar?

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be a number of changes in regards to how the new king and queen will (correctly) be referred to.

The most obvious being that M&F will be referred to in the traditional manner as "kongeparret" = the king couple or the kingly couple.
But to keep things simple and because I at least think this phrase doesn't ring in English, I will keep referring to M&F as the Regent Couple.

The reason why QMII & PH were not referred to as dronningeparret = the queen couple, was to avoid misunderstandings. I don't think that was ever an issue and QMII has ruled for so long that most don't remember anything else. Anyway, it was back then decided to refer to them as Regentparret = the regent couple.
Personally I think that is a very handy and gender neutral, so I intend to keep using it.

QMII will after the abdication be addressed and referred to as Queen Margrethe, because in DK: Once a majesty, always a majesty.
I at least will keep referring to her as QMII, to keep things simple. And she deserves it.

Because by the 14th we have a queen Mary on our hands, so it'll be confusing to have two QM's all over these pages.

Also, from the 14th at 15.00 M&F will become QM&FX, when I refer to them, again to keep things simple.
So now you know and hopefully won't be confused when I all of sudden begin to write about QM and FX. :huh::confused::blink::blink: ?

Another is that M&F with children will be referred to a "kongefamilien" = The kingly family. They usually were anyway but sometimes also called Den Royale Familie = The Royal Family.

So to sum up for our newsdiggers. Two new words: Kongeparret = M&F.
Kongefamilien = the DRF.

Last edited:
I hope the current wintry Danish weather won't impact the ceremonies too much!

I hope the current wintry Danish weather won't impact the ceremonies too much!

The unusually harsh wintry weather may prevent outdoor events like a carriage ride of the new King and Queen. I wonder if it will also affect public attendance at the proclamation.

Do you think Joachim and Marie will be there or have they already returned to Washington?

Its tricky timing for them isn’t it, someone will have had to go back with the kids to start the new term surely.

Do you think Joachim and Marie will be there or have they already returned to Washington?

As Joachim was at the New Years Reception yesterday, he may have choosed to remain in Denmark over 14:th…

Don’t know if Marie is still there though… But i suppose someone will have to go back with Henrik and Athena when their school starts…

Well, it's a note a teacher don't see every day: Henrik and Athena can't go to school tomorrow, their uncle is going to be king.

Joachim may have arranged to stay in Denmark through the 14th. Marie most likely returned to DC due to the kids' schooling. However, she and the kids could return for that weekend. The 14th is a Sunday and the 15th is a national holiday in the US where schools are closed (it is Martin Luther King Day). The kids would maybe miss a day at most if they've returned to DC at all.

Its tricky timing for them isn’t it, someone will have had to go back with the kids to start the new term surely.

School will already have been back in session by the 14th. My sister is a 7th-grade teacher, and they went back Wednesday. I can't imagine even private schools in the DC area haven't returned to class yet.

School will already have been back in session by the 14th. My sister is a 7th-grade teacher, and they went back Wednesday. I can't imagine even private schools in the DC area haven't returned to class yet.

I am pretty sure Henrik and Athena could stay with a nanny and a governess for two days or so. They do not have to travel to Denmark with their parents.

I have to believe that any school principal would consider this be a good reason to miss a few days of school!

I have to believe that any school principal would consider this be a good reason to miss a few days of school!

Could be an opportunity to talk and teach about monarchies, traditions and other cultures.

It has emerged that people have been busy booking rooms at hotels in Copenhagen after the abdication announcement.
In fact less than an hour after the New Year speech the first hotel was fully booked.

I don't think Frederik needs to worry about no one showing up next Sunday!
And many will of course want to say if not goodbye then at least a well done, to QMII as who (hopefully and probably) rides past in her carriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom