Princess Sofia of Sweden Jewels 2: 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great idea to have such a versatile tiara, i'm hoping for a version with red gems somewhere in the future..

I am loving what she is doing with her tiara with the new stones every now and then. What a fabulous way to have variety without relying on the main vault.

I hope she keeps going and adds maybe pink topaz or amethyst as well.

I am loving what she is doing with her tiara with the new stones every now and then. What a fabulous way to have variety without relying on the main vault.

I hope she keeps going and adds maybe pink topaz or amethyst as well.

I am echoing your sentiments. It is a great tiara and the variety comes in handy. A very clever buy and my favourite of the more recent acquisitions of any RF. Today's version is my favourite one so far, and she carries it well. It is exiting to see if there will be any other surprises in the future. Something red would be lovely too, spinels maybe.

Are they confirmed as topaz's? Blue topaz's tend to me much more vibrant, almost artificial. They look like aquamarines to me.

Today's version is my favourite one so far, and she carries it well.

This version is my favorite as well. It adds a nice sparkly height to the tiara with the subtle color of the stones. Love the earrings too.

I agree, this version is the best so far. The soft color of the transparency of the stone are lovely. I'm looking forward to better pictures to see how the stones are set and cut.

This might be my favorite version to date of Sofia's tiara. With her eyes, she looks great with a blue option.

This is my favorite version. The color of the stones matches her beautiful eyes.

Here's a better, but not perfect, photo of Sofia with her new version of the tiara:
https://image.svenskdam.se/sdl3ymx3...oph=100&width=1600&height=1472&compression=80
As I thought, the blue stones (topazes?) are pear shaped with tiny facets to refract the light. Something that always bothered my about the emeralds is that the emeralds are set in little metal frames, which works well for the necklace that this jewel used to be. But on a tiara, I find that setting a bit unbecoming. It's nicer when the stones are not encased in metal, like these topazes.

I have a question about Princess Sofia's tiara configurations. From what I understand, the tiara (originally a necklace) was originally set with emeralds, as she wore it on her wedding day. Are the different stones (diamonds, aquamarines or topazes, turquoises) or pearls that she later wore borrowed from the Bernadotte collection, or did they come with the tiara as part of her wedding gift from the King and Queen?

Last edited:
I have a question about Princess Sofia's tiara configurations. From what I understand, the tiara (originally a necklace) was originally set with emeralds, as she wore it on her wedding day. Are the different stones (diamonds, aquamarines or topazes, turquoises) or pearls that she later wore borrowed from the Bernadotte collection, or did they come with the tiara as part of her wedding gift from the King and Queen?
^
Don't think there are from the Bernadotte Family foundation. I guess they are either bought (the pearls for sure as she has worn it several times with it) or borrowed.

She has also worn several other pieces like the pearl choker she wore a few years ago for Nobel and the diamond necklace which she has worn this year for the finish State visit. I wonder if she has acquired them all or if there are also loans.

^
Don't think there are from the Bernadotte Family foundation. I guess they are either bought (the pearls for sure as she has worn it several times with it) or borrowed.

She has also worn several other pieces like the pearl choker she wore a few years ago for Nobel and the diamond necklace which she has worn this year for the finish State visit. I wonder if she has acquired them all or if there are also loans.

About the pearl choker by LWL Jewellery
The Sofia Necklace
The Sofia Necklace by LWL Jewelry consists of more than 1600 natural oriental pearls, carefully aligned in thin rows that together forms a tight fitting necklace, also referred to as a ”collier de chien”.
Delicately handmade vertical rods in 18k white gold, covered in glistering brilliant cut diamonds hold every section of pearls in place.
The necklace was created for HRH Princess Sofia of Sweden by our designer to wear at the Nobel Price Party in 2018.
The Sofia Necklace was created as a more modern take on an other older pearl necklace that has been worn by members of the royal family before.
Pfolio Amazing pieces – LWL Jewelry

[..] Are the different stones (diamonds, aquamarines or topazes, turquoises) or pearls that she later wore borrowed from the Bernadotte collection, or did they come with the tiara as part of her wedding gift from the King and Queen?
Neither, I think. From her wedding in 2015 till 2016 she wore the tiara several times, but only in the original version with emeralds and on the rather narrow frame that only allowed the tiara to sit rather awkwardly perched on the crown of the head.

Then, at the Nobels in 2016, the tiara had disappeared and Sofia wore tiaras from the Bernadotte collection until her wedding tiara reappeared at the Representation Dinner in 2017. This was the first time the new frame, that actually fit her head, appeared. And it was the first time the tiara was seen without the emeralds. By and by the pearls, turquoise, and now the topazes appeared.

So, my reasoning is, that the original setting was not at all flexible, so she had to wear it exclusively with the emeralds. When it was send to the jeweler for the new frame, probably the fixed emeralds were removed and set in a way that made them easily exchangeable. I believe that only then other options, like the pearls, were added. It doesn't make sense that the other options were part of the original gift, because then she would have tried them before the new frame was ordered, wouldn't she?

On the other hand, the new sets (pearls, turquoise, topazes) have never before seen on Bernadotte Collection jewels. OK, it's difficult to distinguish one set of pearls from another. But there is now sign that the stone might have been in the collection. Let's not forget that cultured pearls, turquoise and topaz are comparatively affordable gemstones. They are stones that CP could afford to gift his wife, or she might have decided to buy some herself. Or they were gifts from the King and Queen. But I assume that they were all recently ordered to adorn this particular tiara.

Yes, I confirmed them to be topaz.

Did someone from the court confirm this for you? Because aquamarines, depending on the quality, come in a variety of shades, and these stones look a little too pale for blue topazes.

I'd be surprised if jewels from the family collection would just happen to be suitable for this tiara - the toppers are quite small by royal standards and I can't see the family breaking up bigger stones to fit on this tiara. The "new" set of stones are all relatively affordable - pearls, topaz and turquoise are the cheaper end of the scale versus, say, sapphires and rubies. The most "expensive" ones are probably the emeralds that originally came with it. Personally I suspect the different sets have come from CP.

Did someone from the court confirm this for you? Because aquamarines, depending on the quality, come in a variety of shades, and these stones look a little too pale for blue topazes.

I cannot comment on my source so you will have to trust me on it. The earrings are topaz and the jeweler has confirmed that last evening on Instagram. (Story has expired now) The earrings were made to match the tiara and gown.

I cannot comment on my source so you will have to trust me on it. The earrings are topaz and the jeweler has confirmed that last evening on Instagram. (Story has expired now) The earrings were made to match the tiara and gown.

Who's the jeweler and what's the Instagram called?

fire up the glue gun there's a new gown to wear!

Sofia has taken a small, unremarkable tiara and made the most of it. Easily adaptable to different gowns for different occasions. I applaud her.

The tiara is not really that small. Especially with the emeralds or turquoises.
When I think of really small, I think of Mette-Marit's tiny little diamond daisy tiara. ?

Are they confirmed as topaz's? Blue topaz's tend to me much more vibrant, almost artificial. They look like aquamarines to me.

That’s because they are artificial - sort of. Blue topaz does exist naturally but it is very, very rare so any sold in jewelry is colorless topaz that has been treated with radiation to achieve the blue color. I think they started doing it in the 70s and it has become even more popular than the traditional yellow/orange topaz which is still what I think of if it just says topaz without specifying that it’s blue or pink. They can make it pretty much any shade and the standard ones are sky blue topaz (lightest),Swiss blue topaz (medium and the most common), and London blue topaz (darkest). I’d say that the new additions to Princess Sofia’s tiara are briolette cut sky blue topaz.

Back
Top Bottom