Royal Wedding Bouquets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ekaterinas bouquet was very exquisite. One of my new favorites.

The Monaco royals head to Hanover for Prince Ernst-August Jr.'s wedding

I found the bouquet too Walt Disney, too fake, too white. It misses any idea that it are flowers indeed.

There must be green in a good bridal bouquet. Since mediaeval times green is associated with fertility, peace, hope and welfare. That is also why -before the white dresses came into fashion- green bridal dresses were the norm.

Green bridal dresses? Not in Britain. Green is associated in English folklore with fairies, not all of whom were regarded as beneficent. Brides wore whatever colour they could afford. If they were working class then the dress was often dark so it would wear better.

http://garyrvarner.webs.com/thegreenman.htm
(Under paragraph 'The significance of green' in above.)

Last edited:
Maybe it was different on the British isles ("Mary in green, ashamed to be seen") but in the Burgundian lands (France and the Benelux) and the German lands green was a much used colour for bridal dresses.

Famous is the wedding portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and his wife Constanza Trenta, painted by the Flemish Master Jan van Eyck (link). The green of the Constanza's dress symbolizes fertility and hope, possibly the hope of becoming a mother. Her white cap could signify purity (as in today's white wedding dresses) but probably just signifies her status of being married.

Last edited:
I think that married in green was considered unlucky. Just as it was unlucky to have an emerald engagement ring, unless it was your birthstone.
But true that most brides just wore their best dress or a nice new dress that would be an "ordinary dress" in due course.
I can't remember all that rhyme, but it is something like "Married in black, you will wish yourself back" (home I suppose), "Married in Yellow, ashamed of your fellow", "Married in blue your love will be true.."

My favorites (in no specific order)

CP Victoria
Letizia
Charlene
HGD Stephanie
Ekaterina
Claire of Belgium
Sofia of Sweden
Madeleine
Claire of Luxembourg
Clotilde of Savoy
Camilla
Zeina of Jordan

Least favorites

Mathilde
Mette Marit
Maxima
Mary
Grace
Kate
Elisabetta
Beatrice of Monaco
Diana
Autumn
Anne Marie
Marie Chantal
Rania

Last edited:
When Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna married Prince Alfred of Great Britain, did she use white myrtle in her wedding bouquet?

That was my only (slight) disappointment today...I thought her bouquet was too small.

LaRae

I agree, underwhelming. After seeing the stunning arch and the other flowers, I was expecting something beautiful. I wouldn't mind if it was small, but was expecting some of the flowers we saw in the décor. Especially peonies.

The bouquet (and the whole outfit) was very reminiscent of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy whom I believe is a style icon of MM. I liked it but I think it should have been at least bigger than the bridesmaids'!

Nothing Meghan wore today can compare to what Carolyn wore at her wedding. Carolyn looked sexy, beautiful, stunning and regal all at the same time; her bouquet had visible flowers. Meghan took an iconic look and didn't do it justice.

I agree, underwhelming. After seeing the stunning arch and the other flowers, I was expecting something beautiful. I wouldn't mind if it was small, but was expecting some of the flowers we saw in the décor. Especially peonies.

Countessmeout, I agree about the peonies. Weeks ago it was expressed that peonies were Meghan's favorite flower. However, it was truly a delicate bouquet. :rose2::rose2::rose2:

I thought Meghan's bouquet was created by Harry from flowers he picked from Kensington Palace.

I liked the simplicity of the bouquet.

That was the saddest wedding bouquet I've ever seen, royal or not. I get that Harry picked them, but I've had my 6 yo granddaughter put together nicer looking bouquets (no joke). Plus the all white color theme was boring and blah. I'd like to know how much they spent on flowers, because I think they've been robbed.

Nothing Meghan wore today can compare to what Carolyn wore at her wedding. Carolyn looked sexy, beautiful, stunning and regal all at the same time; her bouquet had visible flowers. Meghan took an iconic look and didn't do it justice.

To each their own. I always thought Carolyn looked like she got married in her nightgown. And it sure wouldn't have been a good look at St George's.

Yeah never understood the attraction of Carolyn's 'nightie' dress.

LaRae

That was the saddest wedding bouquet I've ever seen, royal or not. I get that Harry picked them, but I've had my 6 yo granddaughter put together nicer looking bouquets (no joke). Plus the all white color theme was boring and blah. I'd like to know how much they spent on flowers, because I think they've been robbed.

The white color theme seems to be the royal 'standard uniform' of flowers. The types of flowers and the arrangements differ, but the color scheme no.

But at least from some of the arrangements, there were some blue fox gloves and some blush peonies and such.

Well, it was a completely different setting, time and couple. MM's outfit actually looked more like this one https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...ding-dress-caroline-bessette-kennedy-tribute/

But coming back to the bouquet: CBK's also had very few visible flowers! Yes, MM's bouquet was a bit too plain but I much rather have this than those cascading affairs a la Princess Diana. My favorite is Kate Middleton's, full of lily-of-the valleys which must have smelled beautifully! https://www.tesselaarflowers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/middleton-bouquet-1.jpg

To each their own. I always thought Carolyn looked like she got married in her nightgown. And it sure wouldn't have been a good look at St George's.

Well, yes, you're right! But they were such a sexy couple and the setting, everything was different...they looked great and appropriate at the time! But, of course, it definitely wouldn't have done for St. George's !!

The white color theme seems to be the royal 'standard uniform' of flowers. The types of flowers and the arrangements differ, but the color scheme no.

But at least from some of the arrangements, there were some blue fox gloves and some blush peonies and such.

Doesn't change the fact that it's boring and blah. The overall feeling was white and green, very ordinary, nothing special at all.

Everyone and their grandma tried to imitate Carolyn Bessette after she wore that dress and it launched Narciso Rodriguez into the stratosphere. No it would not have worked for a Royal wedding but Bessette wouldn't have worn it at St. George's...she might have worn Meghan's dress!;)

Meghan's bouquet was decidedly underwhelming, but reading that Harry went into the Palace gardens and personally picked the flowers put a lump in my throat.

That my friends is EVERYTHING I need to know.:whistling:

I think Meghan's bouquet is in the same category as Mette Marit's, it doesn't look very impressive on its own but goes well with all other things. I hope it is a bit bigger but maybe the proportion will be off as the flowers are all pretty small .

I loved Meghan's bouquet and the fact that some of the flowers were picked by Harry.
The size was perfect for the simple lines of the dress.
She held the flowers quite upright which meant all the flowers were not visible sometimes.

Meghan looked beautiful.

Last edited:
I loved Meghan's bouquet and the fact that some of the flowers were picked by Harry.
The size was perfect for the simple lines of the dress.
She held the flowers quite upright which meant all the flowers were not visible sometimes.

Meghan looked beautiful.

Isn´t that MEGA-romantic, that Harry picked some flowers by himself????
I am dying :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:
BYe Bine

Back
Top Bottom