The British Nobility thread 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides the Duke of Westminster, which other peers have kept their estates private?

is Lady Anne Glenconner invited to King Charles Coronation ?

Besides the Duke of Westminster, which other peers have kept their estates private?
The Princely Parente family of Castel Viscardo (who inherited Welbeck Abbey via their maternal aunt Lady Anne Cavendish-Bentinck),

My goodness, I can actually remember that lovely wedding and many of the guests. And how young do the bride and groom look!

My goodness, I can actually remember that lovely wedding and many of the guests. And how young do the bride and groom look!

I know and I also didn't know that Luton Hoo was the brides Family seat!

Neither did I. I know nothing about the bride’s family at all, not then not now!

I know and I also didn't know that Luton Hoo was the brides Family seat!
The Wernher family purchased it, Natalia’s maternal grandparents owned it then it passed onto the Phillips family, Natalia’s paternal family. The Phillips family still retain some of the estate.

Neither did I. I know nothing about the bride’s family at all, not then not now!
Sir Julius Wernher (founder of the Wernher family) was a noveaux riche diamond magnate from Germany who made money in the diamond industry in South Africa and became part of society. The Phillips family were landed gentry of Anglo Spanish roots with connections to prominent people in Peru. Most of Natalia’s siblings married well.

Last edited by a moderator:
is Lady Anne Glenconner invited to King Charles Coronation ?

Yes she is

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ro...nearly-fainted-world-just-Queen-anointed.html

Duchess of Buccleuch dies after short illness following an operation

The Duchess of Buccleuch and Queensberry has died.

Benny Higgins, Executive Chairman of Buccleuch, said: "The Duke of Buccleuch and his family have announced that, very sadly, on Sunday morning the Duchess died after a short illness following an operation."

How sad. She wasn’t that old… I thought the Duke of Buccleuch looked very sad on Friday when the Stone of Scone was moved, so she probably was unwell already then

Last edited by a moderator:
The Marchioness of Bath attended a dinner hosted by Brunello Cucinelli to mark the opening of the Saint Francis Of Assisi exhibition at The National Gallery on May 4:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Lady Frances von Hofmannsthal attended a private view of artist Campbell Addy's new exhibition "I LOVE CAMPBELL" in London today, May 10:

** Pic **

The Marchioness of Bath attended the Vogue & Netflix party in celebration of the BAFTA Television Awards in London yesterday, May 11:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I still think his eldest daughter should be able to inherit the barony too. It's weird that it wasn't so even back in the days of "Downton Abbey".
It wasn’t weird back then because only Feudal baronies and Earldoms could pass through female lines but gradually when the political situation was less tense, it was safer to use letters patent with heirs male of the body. Also the family would be without an estate if it passed to a daughter who married a man. The only way a daughter could inherit property back then was if she was heiress to her family wealth and property (occasionally title).

Do the British Nobility still have parties and balls today, with tiaras and gowns, like they did in times past?

Do the British Nobility still have parties and balls today, with tiaras and gowns, like they did in times past?

Queen Charlotte's Ball still exists. The monarch is no longer involved - the official hosts at the moment are the Duke and Duchess of Somerset, with Princess Katarina of Yugoslavia and Princess Olga Romanoff as royal patrons.

The guest list is less class-focused than it used to be, and foreigners are now included, but it's still considered a 'posh' event.

The debutantes wear white dresses. All male guests are in formal wear - mostly white tie. But I don't think anyone wears a tiara now.

You can see more about last year's Ball here.

The Marchioness of Bath attended the screening of "Club Zero" and a party hosted by British Vogue and Chopard to celebrate the Cannes Film Festival yesterday, May 22:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Marchioness of Bath attended the Chopard ART Evening at the Martinez in Cannes yesterday, May 23:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

This evening, May 25, the Marchioness of Bath attended the amfAR Cannes Gala 2023 at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Cap d'Antibes, France:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

The Marquess and Marchioness of Bath attended the 2023 Royal Academy of Arts Summer Preview Party at the Royal Academy of Arts this evening, June 6:

The Marquess and Marchioness of Bath attended Annabel's 60th Anniversary Party in London on June 8:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Marchioness of Bath attended the Dolce & Gabbana cocktail soiree to celebrate the new DG Logo Bag in London on June 12:

The Marchioness of Bath walked the runway at the LuisaViaRoma & British Vogue "Runway Icons" show at Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence, Italy yesterday, June 14:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Royal Caledonian Ball is still held (though they don’t always wear tiaras anymore)

Previous royal patrons have included Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and The Duke and Duchess of Kent.

The Princess Royal is the current royal patron and many titled women from the aristocracy are ladies patroness’

https://www.royalcaledonianball.com/

A young British aristocrat committed suicide:verysad::verysad::verysad:

Thomas Cosmo David Innes of Kinnairdy, Yr, scion of the Innes of Balvenie baronets, took his own life, 24 May, 2023. He was 28.

He was born 19 January, 1995, elder son of Colin William Innes of Kinnairdy (born 1 December, 1967), scion of the Innes baronets, who was recognised in the name Innes of Kinnairdy, by Lord Lyon King of Arms, 7 June, 1990, and his wife the former Joanna Judge.

Source: Peerage News

Marquess of Salisbury

"Hertfordshire council rules area of land on Hatfield House estate – owned by Marquess of Salisbury – is common land
The aristocrat who owns the country manor Hatfield House has been forced to allow the general public to walk on part of his estate after the local council ruled that it was common land.

Earlier this year, the Marquess of Salisbury, Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, opposed an application by the Open Spaces Society (OSS) to register a 1.8-hectare (4.45-acre) area of land on his estate as a common. Gascoyne-Cecil is a Conservative politician, once an MP and minister, and now sits in the Lords as a hereditary peer.

Hatfield House in Hertfordshire, which was built by Gascoyne-Cecil’s ancestor the 1st Earl of Salisbury in 1611, is one of the UK’s biggest country homes. Some of its gardens are open to the paying public, and prices to visit start at £8 for the day.
"
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...part-of-estate-to-public-after-council-ruling

It's only 4 acres of non-cultivated land about 4 miles from Hatfield House but he still objected. Hooray for Hertfordshire Council!

Back
Top Bottom