Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: February 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it’s been a while since they’ve been on a tour around the U.K.. A nice tour like that would be excellent.

Lovely front-page exclusive in the Telegraph from Bryony Gordon about the Duchess and her work with Luminary Bakery

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...le-duchess-tells-bryony-gordon-vulnerability/

In a small, sparse room at the back of a bakery on the urban streets of Camden, north London, the Duchess of Sussex is comforting a crying woman.

Tanya’s tears fall over the scars that will remain on her cheeks for the rest of her life; stark reminders of the violent ex partner who is now serving a lengthy prison sentence after he stabbed her repeatedly.

Tanya is explaining what this, the bakery that doubles as a social enterprise, has done for her since that terrible day back in 2016. By a cruel twist of fate it was International Women’s Day when her attacker lay in wait for her outside the doors of the London university she was studying at.

Tanya had been a victim of domestic violence for a decade. “Society judges women for staying in abusive relationships,” she says to me and the Duchess. “But I don’t ever feel judged here. I feel I can be free. I feel I can be myself.”

Here is the Luminary Bakery, a small, grass roots organisation that helps to empower disadvantaged women through training and employment opportunities.

Great read and photos :flowers:

Meghan really has chosen a great set of groups to work with women, even if only Smart works is officially a patronage. The program this bakery runs for women is a fantastic program, and hopefully the attention she brings to it will bring more like it.

There is such a need for helping women get back into the work force. There are a lot of women stuck in abusive relationships because they don't have the skills to be on their own, or the courage. Among other things.

Screen Shots of the Article-
That article by Bryony Gordon in the Telegraph is beyond amazing and full of heartfelt stories and these ladies own truth.

I wish people would just focus on the goodness of the Duchess of Sussex. She’s not only leaving a positive mark on people but she’s also shining a light on people’s stories — especially women. She’s working so hard behind the scenes too.

Last edited:
What a terrific story of resilience following a knife attack and years of domestic abuse. Good on Meghan for helping to bring such stories to public notice and for sticking with this little bakery. Hopefully it will be helped by this publicity.

Great story about Meghan and the Luminary Bakery....there are so many people doing good in the world and helping to lift up one another. I'm glad Meghan is able bring attention to these organizations.

What a wonderful article and story about Luminary bakery, them inviting Meghan to the opening of their second branch and these uplifting, inspiring stories from the ladies eorking there or getting support through them.

What a great story! Meghan is glowing and looks so happy.

What a lovely article. It was so inspiring listening to those women talk about finding the strength in themselves to better their situation even when they were at their lowest.

Very nice to see Meghan continue her relationship with Luminary and provide support.

Now we know what she was doing, Meghan was visiting a woman's center.

Guess who was spotted in Vancouver today? Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle paid a visit to the Downtown Eastside Women's Centre, where she spent time discussing some of the issues affecting women. @NEWS1130

Posted over in the general thread but Meghan held an engagement today in Vancouver. She visited a women’s center. Looked like she invited local media and they will be putting out the coverage tomorrow.

I guess this is an example of what they plan to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, so she continued her 'royal/charity work' in Canada but this time did so as a private person or as a member of the royal family?

Well... regardless, she's still a member of the royal family. This wasn't a public engagement and it was something she did of her own accord so its my guess that she visited the center as a private individual showing interest. If people had no clue of who she was at all, no one would have been the wiser.

She definitely wasn't doing this for "attention" and "publicity" but out of genuine concern IMO.

According to someone in the other thread, the local media was invited, so I’m not sure if this was a public, or private event.

Last edited:
Posted over in the general thread but Meghan held an engagement today in Vancouver. She visited a women’s center. Looked like she invited local media and they will be putting out the coverage tomorrow.

I guess this is an example of what they plan to do.

I'll be very interested to see what that coverage looks like and how they handle that delicate question of whether or not she held this engagement and invited the media as HRH The Duchess of Sussex or whether it was done under the umbrella of Meghan Sussex or Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor or possibly even Meghan Markle if she never legally changed her last name (and that is possible given that as titled royals they didn't really use a last name terribly often). I also find it very interesting that she performed an engagement that presumably is quite well-meaning and appears certainly to be for a worthwhile organization but felt the need to invite the media to cover it.

I'll be very interested to see what that coverage looks like and how they handle that delicate question of whether or not she held this engagement and invited the media as HRH The Duchess of Sussex or whether it was done under the umbrella of Meghan Sussex or Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor or possibly even Meghan Markle if she never legally changed her last name (and that is possible given that as titled royals they didn't really use a last name terribly often). I also find it very interesting that she performed an engagement that presumably is quite well-meaning and appears certainly to be for a worthwhile organization but felt the need to invite the media to cover it.

What I find even more interesting is that even though the engagement was today, the media is going to release the pictures tomorrow--when the Cambridges are doing their engagement.

What I find even more interesting is that even though the engagement was today, the media is going to release the pictures tomorrow--when the Cambridges are doing their engagement.

Well to be honest that was my assumption based on a news anchor posting about it at night but she could have just seen the organization’s post. So I could be entirely wrong. We will see tomorrow as it’s being picked up by other media at the moment. Just needed to clarify nothing was posted stating that.

Last edited:
How private is it if media is invited.it is obvious where this is all going. ,

On Archie's birth certificate, Meghan is stated as Rachel Meghan HRH The Duchess of Sussex, so I think she took not only Harry's title but his family name as well, as it would be highly unusual otherwise.

Interesting, so she continued her 'royal/charity work' in Canada but this time did so as a private person or as a member of the royal family?

Private person, I suppose. That is how she wants it: being a free agent to pursue her own charity projects/social activism without having to check with the Palace first. I assume she didn’t consult the Canadian government either before the visit, but she was invited /got access probably because she is the Duchess of Sussex.

In other words, she wants her freedom, but wants to keep her title because it opens doors .

Last edited:
According to someone in the other thread, the local media was invited, so I’m not sure if this was a public, or private event.

That was me and that was my guess, not a fact. A news anchor tweeted it. I assumed she was there but she could just have been informed. Reading it again seems more likely the case.

This was the extent of the new network’s coverage.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/01/14/duchess-sussex-downtown-eastside-womens-centre/

It was a private event they just were informed of. They were not in attendance.

Last edited:

So she now “invites” the press to cover her engagements? I wonder if she directs the photo sessions and tells them what they can and can’t write. :whistling:

So she now “invites” the press to cover her engagements? I wonder if she directs the photo sessions and tells them what they can and can’t write. :whistling:

Again that was my assumption. It is not a fact. But just goes to show how one can assume things and be wrong and spread incorrect information very easily.

Based on the networks tweets they were not even there.

If it was public , certainly it was not coordinated with the Palace and I don’t expect it to appear in the Court Circular. I would be surprised too if this event was arranged in coordination with the Canadian government or the government of British Columbia.

Someone publicized it , but I can’t tell if it was just a leak or if the media was tipped off intentionally.

I am quite sure it is a very worthwhile visit, but it raises questions about the way the public agenda of the Duchess will be managed in this transition period.

Last edited:

That is what celebrities do. Having said that, it is not entirely certain if there was media coverage of the event that will be made available for public consumption. So we will have to take a wait and see approach.

She looks happy, and good for her for making the visit and shining a light on what this organization does.

She looks happy, and good for her for making the visit and shining a light on what this organization does.

The Duchess indeed looks happy to support a very worthy organization https://www.straight.com/life/13467...its-downtown-eastside-womens-centre-vancouver
However, the expense of flying to Vancouver from Victoria (this is where the BC members of TRF can share their expertise:flowers:) and the environmental impact of the flight (even though the first electric airplane was tested in a flight over Vancouver harbour a few weeks ago:flowers:) is something for which the Duchess herself is responsible. Presumably the Sussex Royal foundation will cover travel expenses now that the British Royal family bank account is closed to them but these are the details that we are all waiting to see. In any case, the Duke and Duchess can pop into any Tim Hortons coffee shop where they will receive free coffee for life:flowers:

If it was public , certainly it was not coordinated with the Palace and I don’t expect it to appear in the Court Circular. I would be surprised too if this event was arranged in coordination with the Canadian government or the government of British Columbia.

Someone publicized it , but I can’t tell if it was just a leak or if the media was tipped off intentionally.

I am quite sure it is a very worthwhile visit, but it raises questions about the way the public agenda of the Duchess will be managed in this transition period.

If you read the article, the information came from a tweet from a worker st the centre. If you are going to leak it to the press you wouldn't leak it to the likes of ctv news.

It only raises questions as people are so quick to believe the worst of her.

Once again what should be seen as a great visit of a worthwhile charity is over shadowed by people jumping at anything to criticize. Instead of wondering if this will be her first new project in Canada.

The Duchess indeed looks happy to support a very worthy organization https://www.straight.com/life/13467...its-downtown-eastside-womens-centre-vancouver
However, the expense of flying to Vancouver from Victoria (this is where the BC members of TRF can share their expertise:flowers:) and the environmental impact of the flight (even though the first electric airplane was tested in a flight over Vancouver harbour a few weeks ago:flowers:) is something for which the Duchess herself is responsible. Presumably the Sussex Royal foundation will cover travel expenses now that the British Royal family bank account is closed to them but these are the details that we are all waiting to see. In any case, the Duke and Duchess can pop into any Tim Hortons coffee shop where they will receive free coffee for life:flowers:

Those seaplanes are far more affordable then one thinks. One can take a round trip sight seeing your for less then $500 and she wasn't sightseeing.

You have to remember she is on an island. And in Saanich not Victoria or even Nanaimo. It's not a simple ferry ride which would be a bigger security concern if they did. In reality the seaplane was the best option.

Be interesting to see how long they stay there. Saanich isn't the best for commuting for any work they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read the article, the information came from a tweet from a worker st the centre. If you are going to leak it to the press you wouldn't leak it to the likes of ctv news.

It only raises questions as people are so quick to believe the worst of her.

Once again what should be seen as a great visit of a worthwhile charity is over shadowed by people jumping at anything to criticize. Instead of wondering if this will be her first new project in Canada.

It's because people are so happy they are proven right (at least that is how it seems) they will jump at anything they think proves it. I wonder if they'll have the guts to admit they were wrong when we find out the facts don't support what they believe.

I'd love for H&M to do some charity work in Canada. If they're there they might as well make use of their time. And I think it's been the plan all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom