Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh and Family News and Events 11: 03 March 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
suztav, yes he does, but after all the loses AND changes of the the 3 years, maybe it is to be expected. Stress can do that.
Losing both Parents and an increased and more visible workload too.

Plus, it you look at pictures of BOTH Grandfathers, Edward DEFINITELY has their slight build. King George Vl and Prince Andrew of Greece.

To be honest, I think he takes so very much more after Andrew's side more than The Windsors, especially as he ages. I don't know how to post pictures, but if you Google pictures of Prince Andrew in middle age, its remarkable. Plus Prince Andrew, Prince Philip and Prince Edward all do that similar "Arm posture". Uncanny.

Very much Prince Edward's build and facial structure ALSO reminds me of his Mother's first cousin, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, yet another descendant from The Greek side of The Family. His mother, Princess Marina was a first cousin To Prince Philip.

Genetics at play. And The Duke of Kent is 87. Still out there helping out and showing up. Him and his sister Princess Alexandra, are two of my favorites !

I actually met him when he was in Philadelphia about 12-13 years ago. He looked exactly like his mother, although a slimmer build. And, yes, the arm posture -- it was almost satirical! :)

The Telegraph journalist as well as an internet reporter have attempted to get access to the Edinburgh's on the royal rota. They both received a reply that all press attention is to be focused on the King, Queen and the Prince and Princess of Wales. I do not know if this is for the first years of the King's reign. But it is how it is currently.

What would that specifically mean? That those journalists would regularly report on the two of them? Are they able to do so without being on the royal rota by just checking the 'calendar'in advance?

Nonetheless, if true, it sounds as if the king is rather insecure if he is worried they would be overshadowed by his brother and sister-in-law.

HRH is indeed proving a worthy successor to his late father in spreading the ideals / ethos of the D of E Awards .

Regardless of the title under which they are awarded , they are a worthy goal .

The Duchess of Edinburgh attended the State Funeral of the former Italian President Giorgio Napolitano, this morning, 26 September, in Rome. I assume Her Royal Highness represented King Charles III at the service. She seated in front row with Heads of State and the Napolitano family.

How nice to have Sophie in Italy, despite the mournful occasion.
IMG_6019.JPGIMG_6018.jpg

Yesterday, September 26, on his second day in Turkey, the Duke of Edinburgh inspected excavation work as part of Basilica Cistern restoration in Istanbul:

** gettyimages gallery **

Today, September 27, he visited Anitkabir, the mausoleum of Turkish Republic's Founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, viewed a project of the Hacettepe University and met Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
What would that specifically mean? That those journalists would regularly report on the two of them? Are they able to do so without being on the royal rota by just checking the 'calendar'in advance?

Nonetheless, if true, it sounds as if the king is rather insecure if he is worried they would be overshadowed by his brother and sister-in-law.
I don’t think so and I doubt Edward and Sophie are bothered, I’m sure they are fine

Without evidence the allegation of journalists being told only to concentrate on the King, Queen, Prince and Princess of Wales is meaningless.

I'll wait for the proof.

Today, September 28, the Duchess of Edinburgh as Patron of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC), visited Midlands Nottingham Hub. As Patron of the Association of Show and Agricultural Organisations she attended the Flintham Agricultural Show at Scarrington House in Nottingham and she held a reception and dinner for the International Golf for Youth at Windsor Castle.

** bbc: Duchess of Edinburgh meets NSPCC volunteer who has raised £10m **

** granthamjournal: Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh among a flock of visitors to the 101st Flintham Ploughing Match and Show at Scarrington House **

** dailymail article: Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh greets ponies before running arts and crafts session for children in Nottingham **

Last edited:
The Duke of Edinburgh continued his journey from Turkey to Bahrein, visited the British school Bahrain for the Duke of Edinburgh International Awards and met with King Hmada as well as with Crown Prince and Prime Minister Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I have to admit the coverage of the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh seems lacking and nasty innuendoes about the King endorsing it is a total nonsense. I say this not only because engagements concerning the DoE awards were always going to happen, but because our King is no fool and neither is the Foreign Officers routinely staffed by them, they are the ones that dictate meetings with VIP's, royal or commoners.

Edward and Sophie Wessex were never intended to be working members of the BRF as each had their own jobs. However, once married, the media hounded them unmercifully, claiming they were using their royal status to further their business interests, accusations which were never proven. The fact that they even hired people to pose as VIP's in an attempt to trick and embarrass both them and the BRF demonstrated that there is absolutely no depths they will not go to in pursuit of their agenda, Poor Sophie was victimised in this way. The end result was them both leaving their careers and retiring to live in quiet obscurity and raising their children to be hardworking, decent members of society.

I don't think anyone even noticed when Edward became involved in his father's passion, The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme or that Sophie was quietly involved in more than just cutting ribbons and receiving flowers at County Fairs, but here they are, cool and comfortably supporting the family and their country with more than a little grace and flair. Now they are representing the BRF and their country on the international stage, the epitome of soft diplomacy.

As working royals, I expect to see them on the balcony alongside the King, Queen, Prince and Princess of Wales and Anne, Princess Royal and her husband Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence (a hard-working man who unfailingly supports his wife while beavering away at a variety of charity causes) and HM's cousins who also work as their advancing ages allows.

The Duchess of Edinburgh visited Brooklands Innovation Academy at Brooklands Drive, Weybridge, Surrey, today, October 3:

** rex gallery **

The Duchess of Edinburgh celebrated 50 years of flights connecting Ethiopia and the UK:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Today, October 11, she gave the opening remarks at the Trachoma Elimination Conference in Ethiopia:

** Pic **

To mark today's World Sight Day the Duchess of Edinburgh has sent a video message from Ethiopia:

She does so much work for the BRF. I always appreciate how much time she gives to all these charities and foundations.

The Duchess of Edinburgh has arrived in Canada yesterday for a visit until November 8. She visits the country in her role Colonel-in-Chief of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment and Patron of Toronto General and Toronto Western hospitals, University Health Network (UHN).

** Announcement of October 30 **

Her first engagement today, November 4, was a visit to Inniskillin Winery, Niagara-on-the-Lake. Afterwards she visited Lake Street Armoury Military barracks in St. Catharines and attended a dinner in support of the Lincoln & Welland Regimental Foundation:

** rex gallery ** dailymail article**

Last edited:
In keeping with the amount of publicity she usually gets, I did know Sophie was the hospital's patron because I've seen her picture in the corridor, but I had no idea she was here right now.

Today, November 6, one of the Duchess of Edinburgh's engagements was a visit to Toronto General Hospital, she is Patron of:

** rex gallery ** dailymail article **

Last edited:
The Duchess of Edinburgh learned about the Virtual Reality Visual Rehabilitation Tool, the Peter Gilgan Programme in Neuroregeneration Research and met Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontari, today, November 7:

** rex gallery ** dailymail article **

Today, November 8, on her final day in Canada, the Duchess of Edinburgh visited the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute:

** rex gallery **

I did for the most part like her wardrobe for this visit. Too bad her visit was overshadowed by other royal events/trips.

Sophie would have missed Lady Louise's 20th birthday in person.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom