Service of Thanksgiving for the Duke of Edinburgh; 29 March 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully there will be many representatives from the various reigning and non-reigning houses who knew the DoE for many years.

Posts about the Duke of Sussex & his non-attendance have been moved to the Sussex-thread.

In the next weeks we expect members to discuss the Duke of Sussex in his own thread and not here.

If the Sussex-thread is closed it means that the topic can not be discussed - as is explaine in the opening post of the Sussex thread.

Any comments on the Sussexes in this thread will not be moved but deleted.

You can find the Sussex-thread here.

Last edited:
Spain wise I expect Sofia and not the current King or Queen.

Netherlands and Belgium I could see sending both and just the new King & Queen for respectively. I think most European houses will be represented.

I am afraid Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko may be too frail now to travel. Otherwise I would also expect them to attend representing Japan.

Any word from the King of Hellenes and Spanish royals?

The spanish Royals usually release ther schedule on very short notice so i guess we will not know before the End of next week if and who from them attends.

As regards the Greeks, I suspect Queen Anne-Marie will attend. She may be accompanied by the Crown Prince and Crown Princess if they are in the UK time at the time.

Not sure if Thailanbd will be represented, and if it is, it is usually the King's sister who comes. However, I think it will be very interesting if the King and Queen came, would love to see the intereatcions with all the gathered royals.

Queen Margrethe will attend the service:

** kongehuset: H.M. Dronningen er til stede ved mindehøjtidelighed for Prins Philip, Hertug af Edinburgh **

Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, and Prince Radu, announced their attendance today too:

** Twitter post **

King Harald and Queen Sonja will attend as well:

29.03.2022 Takkegudstjeneste
DD.MM. Kongen og Dronningen er til stede ved en minnegudstjeneste for H.K.H. Prins Philip, Hertugen av Edinburgh, i Westminister Abbey, London.

Last edited:
I read on twitter the attendance of King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain has been confirmed - they may combine it with a visit to see their Leonor in Wales

Last edited:
So it will only be King Felipe and Queen Letizia from Spain? No Queen Sofia? Pity. I had hoped she would attend too as probably was closer to him and a greek princess too.

King Philippa and Queen Mathilde will attend as well

Last edited by a moderator:
It could possibly be the largest post Covid royal gathering :previous:

Queen Margrethe will attend the service:

** kongehuset: H.M. Dronningen er til stede ved mindehøjtidelighed for Prins Philip, Hertug af Edinburgh **

Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, and Prince Radu, announced their attendance today too:

** Twitter post **

Princess Margareta's grandmother Queen Elena of Romania was a born Princess of Greece and Denmark, like Prince Philip.

And alike Prince Philip's mother Princess Alice, also Queen Elena was awarded the honorific Righteous Amongst The Nations.

Do we know who from Luxembourg will attend, will it be the Duke on his own, or might the Grand Duchess join him as well?

Would Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie of Luxembourg attend?

Would Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie of Luxembourg attend?

Given that the Duke of Edinburgh was the Consort to a serving monarch, I would expect the monarch and / or the consort to attend, not the Crown Prince and Princess.

So it will only be King Felipe and Queen Letizia from Spain? No Queen Sofia? Pity. I had hoped she would attend too as probably was closer to him and a greek princess too.

King Philippa and Queen Mathilde will attend as well

At the moment there is no official confirmation from the Spanish Royal House, only speculation from some media. In any case, King Felipe is descended from both sides of the family, so they're all represented.

I suspect Anne Marie at least will be there representing Greece. The Danish royal calendar notes for the 27th - "HM The Queen, HRH Princess Benedict and HM Queen Anne-Marie attend "The Palaces Dance" and award Queen Ingrid's Honorary Scholarship in Christian IX's Palace with subsequent dinner in Christian VII's Palace. Amalienborg, at 19.00" I would guess if she is in Denmark on the Sunday she will stay on for the Tuesday service in London and maybe fly in with her sister? Just a guess.

We may say that this is also an opportunity to greet the doyenne of the world' s sovereigns and congratulate her with the coming Jubilee.

Do we know who from Luxembourg will attend, will it be the Duke on his own, or might the Grand Duchess join him as well?

I expect the Grand-Duchess to attend as she is a consort, like the late Duke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good idea.

The cameras don't have to show her arriving or leaving. Just seated. No doubt the boys of Westminster school can give her a good cheer.?

Sounds like a good idea.

The cameras don't have to show her arriving or leaving. Just seated. No doubt the boys of Westminster school can give her a good cheer.?

I agree 100% on this. Everything and anything possible should be taken to assure the Queen is as comfortable as possible. I know she feels she has to be seen to be believed but after 70 years on the throne, I don't think there's one British citizen that doesn't believe in their Queen and the remarkable person she is.

I really hope that The Queen is well enough to attend the Memorial service!

I really hope that The Queen is well enough to attend the Memorial service!

Me too and i think if she doe not make it one has to be really worrying about her
I also don't understand the Issue about using a wheelchair. When Princess Margaret used one it was not only because she could not walk.
One could clearly see that there where other Issues with her back then.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Me too and i think if she doe not make it one has to be really worrying about her
I also don't understand the Issue about using a wheelchair. When Princess Margaret used one it was not only because she could not walk.
One could clearly see that there where other Issues with her back then.

President Roosevelt used a wheelchair of his own design- essentially a wooden dining chair with bicycle-like wheels. It gave him a more upright posture. And several years ago when Camillahad a broken leg, she initially used a standard wheelchair; she switched to a mobility scooter to enable her to interact with people more readily. Queen on a scooter? Why not?

Back
Top Bottom