The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HRH The Duchess of Sussex has the right to use and feel about her own DNA in any way she sees fit. If other people find value in HRH The Duchess of Sussex's DNA enough to engage with her because of it, that's their right.

Several Nigerians felt kinship with HRH The Duchess of Sussex because of her 43% Nigerian ancestry. They didn't ask her what tribe she belong to or whether her DNA was accurate: they accepted it for what it was without putting any ulterior motives on it.

Many have said that being Nigerian is more than DNA (especially since DNA can be inaccurate due to records on the ancestors of those of the African diaspora not being as well-kept): it's tribes, culture, history, family, and more that can only be experienced by those born in Nigeria or their close relatives born in different countries. All of this is accurate and valid.

But several Nigerians felt connected to HRH The Duchess of Sussex through a shared heritage. Are their feelings about their own heritage and that connection less valid because it's built off of love and companionship for HRH The Duchess of Sussex rather than apathy, mockery, or scorn?

If people feel a connection to Meghan based off DNA- fine. Nothing wrong with that. I don’t particularly care one way or another.

And, of course, Meghan can do (and feel) what she wants. And she does.

But- I’m cynical about Meghan. And imo she’s earned it. I don’t take what she says simply at face value. And I don’t believe I have a reason to give her the benefit of the doubt that I once gave her.

It should also be noted that their social media accounts have been under a barrage of hate comments and conspiracy theories from ardent supporters of the British Royal Family. Par for the course, at this point - even cancer patients visited by Meghan weren't spared the social media derangement that follows every single move Harry and Meghan make.

Among said conspiracy theories include the wholly unsubstantiated allegation that Invictus funds are being misused for Harry and Meghan's personal expenses - an allegation that has been repeated on this forum multiple times, yet not something anyone has ever provided any proof for beyond "rumors say."

Leaving aside the unnecessarily nasty personal remarks made about Harry, most people who have interacted with him in the capacity of his professional work with veterans and Invictus disagree with your characterization of his involvement with veterans and Invictus. I'll take the opinion of those who have interacted with him as having more substance and legitimacy to it. He is a very flawed man who has done some great work - both things can be true at once.

As an aside, I think it's disturbing how much ill will is wished upon Harry and Meghan on this forum (moderators, I sincerely apologize, but given the tone of some of the remarks listed above and the pile on my posts have been subjected to, I feel I have a right to respond). The desire to see Harry stripped of Invictus - an organization that has nothing to do with his falling out with his distant relatives- is nothing more than a desire to continue to see him punished rather than any sincere concern for the veterans or IG Foundation who - repeatedly - have voiced their support for Harry and have found him to be a great support. He may not enjoy the popularity he once did or the same platform he did under the umbrella of the BRF, but that does not mean he cannot have an impact or that the IG are somehow meaningless or simply a tool of PR for Harry and his family.

Checking out of this conversation now. I am always happy to have a conversation in good faith with people who disagree, but when we start veering into personal attacks and conspiracy theories, that is where I have to draw the line.
At this point Anna, with the greatest of respect, you are saying - not for the first time - that PH fell out with his "distant relatives". They are not distant relatives. A father, a brother and much-loved sister in law, "the sister I never had" as I believe PH in happier times expressed it. The only "distance" is geographical and that was caused by H&M's exit; before this they were all very close relatives indeed. Why else did PH dash over to the UK when he learned about his father's cancer?

So would it not be more accurate to say simply "relatives" instead? No need to say "close relatives" (everyone knows they are, anyway).

As you appear to accuse BRF supporters of "ill will", do you not accept that in your eagerness to support H&M, that it is showing "ill will" to not only repeatedly and inaccurately portray the BRF - our BRF here in the UK - as "distant relatives" (remember my thoughts about anti-British posting?) but also by stating we want to see PH "punished" for his behaviour, like we are some sort of sadists?

What we would like (although we don't expect it) is for him to see the error of his ways; to acknowledge the mistakes he has made, the damage he has caused, and to stop blaming everyone but himself and his wife for what they have done. That is not seeking punishment; I would describe it as recognising his inability to self-reflect or take responsibility i.e. behave like an adult. That also applies to his wife.

In my view, even if H&M aren't taking money from Invictus (and yes, I do have my suspicions about this) they are taking something far more precious away. The focus of the games on the veterans. That is why IMO if Invictus wish to continue, they must cut ties with PH.

I feel it is important to point out that, if I recall it correctly, many people including TRH The Prince and Princess of Wales were also involved in the creation of Invictus.

Personally, I cannot disagree with Chimene's assessment of PH, I am afraid IMO that is indeed what he has become, and I have been here in the UK following his life since he was born. Nowadays, I do find him highly unpleasant in his character and behaviour. People who have met him are always going to be positive; he's a Prince, and that's why celebrities use NDAs!

I'll leave it there for now, as I can feel your frustration, and will postpone my assessment of the Nigeria trip for another time while feelings cool; but as we accept you have a different opinion, you must also accept ours; it is the majority opinion, and it is based on facts, rather than what H&M, the press, or anyone else want us to believe.

Take care
:flowers:

Last edited:
No one is denying that Harry and Meghan have done/said some really dumb, hurtful **** in the past few years. All I said was that some of the hatred (yes, hatred) some posters have for them is puzzling. Those people are taking things waaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. You (universal you) can criticize their words and behavior without coming off like you've been personally wronged.
That is your interpretation. I've said many times that I do not hate H&M, I despise them. They are not worth hating.

It's also important to accept that British posters like myself will in particular (and understandably) have strong feelings about them. They should not be confused with hatred, however.

As the saying goes: Hate is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

Hate is self destructive. It harms only those who feel it. It is a word that does not belong here, but is often used by certain posters to provoke and express scorn - and I'm afraid that as I recall, it is always used by fans of H&M.

Courtesy of the Collins dictionary:

If you despise something or someone, you dislike them and have a very low opinion of them.

That in a nutshell sums up my feelings about H&M perfectly.

Last edited:
At this point Anna, with the greatest of respect, you are saying - not for the first time - that PH fell out with his "distant relatives". They are not distant relatives. A father, a brother and much-loved sister in law, "the sister I never had" as I believe PH in happier times expressed it. The only "distance" is geographical and that was caused by H&M's exit; before this they were all very close relatives indeed. Why else did PH dash over to the UK when he learned about his father's cancer?

So would it not be more accurate to say simply "relatives" instead? No need to say "close relatives" (everyone knows they are, anyway).

As you appear to accuse BRF supporters of "ill will", do you not accept that in your eagerness to support H&M, that it is showing "ill will" to not only repeatedly and inaccurately portray the BRF - our BRF here in the UK - as "distant relatives" (remember my thoughts about anti-British posting?) but also by stating we want to see PH "punished" for his behaviour, like we are some sort of sadists?

What we would like (although we don't expect it) is for him to see the error of his ways; to acknowledge the mistakes he has made, the damage he has caused, and to stop blaming everyone but himself and his wife for what they have done. That is not seeking punishment; I would describe it as recognising his inability to self-reflect or take responsibility i.e. behave like an adult. That also applies to his wife.

In my view, even if H&M aren't taking money from Invictus (and yes, I do have my suspicions about this) they are taking something far more precious away. The focus of the games on the veterans. That is why IMO if Invictus wish to continue, they must cut ties with PH.

I feel it is important to point out that, if I recall it correctly, many people including TRH The Prince and Princess of Wales were also involved in the creation of Invictus.

Personally, I cannot disagree with Chimene's assessment of PH, I am afraid IMO that is indeed what he has become, and I have been here in the UK following his life since he was born. I do find him highly unpleasant in his character and behaviour. People who have met him are always going to be positive; he's a Prince, and that's why celebrities use NDA's!

I'll leave it there for now, as I can feel your frustration, and will postpone my assessment of the Nigeria trip for another time while feelings cool; but as we accept you have a different opinion, you must also accept ours; it is the majority opinion, and it is based on facts, rather than what H&M, the press, or anyone else want us to believe.

Take care
:flowers:
Just a couple of points before I (really) check out this time:

My use of the term distant relatives is not meant to be a moral judgment on anyone involved. There is clearly no relationship at this point between Harry and any of his birth family, beyond perhaps Eugenie. My use of the term distant relatives originated from my belief (which I maintain, though maybe the word distant is a bit dismissive) that he does not need to build his schedule around what said relatives are doing (if I recall correctly there were complaints that some of his events "overshadowed" events being held in the UK). Again, this is not a moral judgment on anyone involved let alone anti-British. I would vehemently disagree that using the term distant relatives is in any way a form of ill will. It expresses no opinion on anyone but rather a state of a relationship.

I have never called anyone a sadist or engaged in any type of name calling and I think, respectfully, that is twisting what I said to suggest otherwise. But yes, I strongly believe that there is such ill will against Harry among some that many people want to see him punished at all costs and his patronage of Invictus has only become the latest target of this. Invictus has nothing to do with any of the grievances listed above.

Okay, really checking out this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom