Titles and Styles of the Sussex Family 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In this video the Sussexes are introduced as HRH’s. I thought that they were no longer going to use HRH?

Last edited:
In this video they’re introduced as HRH’s. I thought that they were no longer going to use HRH?
Not at all their fault if someone introduces them as such but I did notice this too and it peaked my interest.

In this video they’re introduced as HRH’s. I thought that they were no longer going to use HRH?
The original announcement about TRH The Sussexes’ HRH was that they still retain it, but they have agreed not to use it (which they haven’t). It doesn’t say anything about other people using their HRH when addressing them, only that TRH The Sussexes couldn’t use it.

Here is the actual wording from the announcement: “The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.”

Since the Sussexes were involved in planning this trip, they should have made sure that TRH wasn’t used. It’s something that their team should have clearly communicated to the hosts of these events. Especially since they know people would compare it to a royal tour.

Last edited:
Here is the actual wording from the announcement: “The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.”

Since the Sussexes were involved in planning this trip, they should have made sure that TRH wasn’t used. It’s something that their team should have clearly communicated to the hosts of these events. Especially since they know people would compare it to a royal tour.
Thank you for providing the exact quote. As it clearly states, TRH The Sussexes themselves will not use the HRH. And they haven't since they've left the BRF as working members. If other people want to refer to them as HRH, they're not wrong to do so. Although the HRH does signify that they are working members of the BRF, the communication above only states that HRH The Duke of Sussex and HRH The Duchess of Sussex will not use it. It does not ban anyone else from doing so. If the BRF wanted a more universal ban on the use of HRH for TRH The Sussexes, then the communication should have been more along the lines of "The Sussexes' HRH titles will not be used" or "The Sussexes will no longer be referred to by their HRH titles."

Thank you for providing the exact quote. As it clearly states, TRH The Sussexes themselves will not use the HRH. And they haven't since they've left the BRF as working members. If other people want to refer to them as HRH, they're not wrong to do so. Although the HRH does signify that they are working members of the BRF, the communication above only states that HRH The Duke of Sussex and HRH The Duchess of Sussex will not use it. It does not ban anyone else from doing so. If the BRF wanted a more universal ban on the use of HRH for TRH The Sussexes, then the communication should have been more along the lines of "The Sussexes' HRH titles will not be used" or "The Sussexes will no longer be referred to by their HRH titles."
They should not refer to themselves as it and as such no-one else should. This should have been made clear. You don't refer to someone by a name or title when you have been informed that it is dormant. For instance, married women being a prime example, some use their own name, some their married, some both depending on situation, others a double barrel...whatever you always follow what you have been asked in referring to them. Harry and Megjan shouldn't be referred to using it.

They should not refer to themselves as it and as such no-one else should. This should have been made clear. You don't refer to someone by a name or title when you have been informed that it is dormant. For instance, married women being a prime example, some use their own name, some their married, some both depending on situation, others a double barrel...whatever you always follow what you have been asked in referring to them. Harry and Megjan shouldn't be referred to using it.
It should have been made clear in the original communication that their HRH shouldn’t be used by anyone and not just TRH The Sussexes themselves, and it’s neither TRH The Sussexes’ nor their hosts’ fault. Where in the original statement does it say that no one can use TRH The Sussexes HRH other than the couple themselves…actually, never mind. This is getting circular. We just have to agree to disagree:).

You are absolutely correct about the content of the statement, but it may be worth adding that it formed part of the public announcement of an agreement between Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex about "a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family" (i.e., their exit as working royals) which was "agreed" by the couple "following many months of conversations and more recent discussions" with the senior members of their family. Since the only parties to the agreement were the Sussexes and other members of the Royal Family, the absence of any instructions to members of the public or foreign governments on how to treat or address the Sussexes in the public announcement was, in my view, simply because they were not part of the agreement. Which is also in keeping with the palace's general practice: For example, when HRH Prince Henry of Wales was created a peer on his wedding day, an announcement was issued, but there was no specific command to the public to begin addressing him as HRH The Duke of Sussex. :flowers:

IMO- if you’re agreeing not to use HRH anymore, then obviously no one else should either. That’s just so clear in my mind that I don’t see why it needed to be spelled out. It’s stating the obvious.

However- I’m not surprised others are using HRH for PR purposes. And it certainly doesn’t bother Harry and Meghan because they made it very clear how unhappy they were to no longer be able to use HRH and royal. So- I’m sure they’re thrilled. How long has it been since Meghan has stepped foot in the UK anyway?! Lol

Back
Top Bottom