The Coronation: Guest Arrivals, Guest List, Rehearsal and Receptions, 5 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think there was any doubt at this point that the dress code for the Palace reception would be business suit.

I understand that the focus of the ceremony should be the King and Queen (Charles wants it like that too), but I agree with other members that it is odd to have a more informal dress code for a coronation than for a state dinner.

There was still hope. After all it was compared to the annual diplamtic reception at some point.

And i think when one wants the focus on the King and Queen one should not invite so many well known Heads of State etc and make it more a national Event like in Spain and Belgium.

How disappointing regarding The Tiara situation. Just boring, no sizzle or sparkle of pomp and grandeur.

Hey "what did you expect"?
It's already a little miracle to have senior foreign royals attenting the Coronation.

Enjoy !

The list of foreign royals in attendance at the coronation is actually impressive. Practically all monarchies in the world will be represented and, unlike in previous coromations, several monarchs will be present themselves, rather than being represented by their heirs.

As soon as i heard that it would be a ”Reception” and not a ”Banquet” or ”Gala Dinner” i got to 99 % that it would be no tiaras worn

After all, the only white tie ”Reception” in the BRF’s calender year is the December Diplomatic Reception…

But i’ll admit the remaining 1 % in me is still a bit dissapointed ?

Lol trying to see where is fastest at uploading photos.

Last edited:
Midi for most guests

The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is wearing trousers, so... But at least she combined it with the emeralds of Q. Astrid.

As soon as i heard that it would be a ”Reception” and not a ”Banquet” or ”Gala Dinner” i got to 99 % that it would be no tiaras worn

After all, the only white tie ”Reception” in the BRF’s calender year is the December Diplomatic Reception…

But i’ll admit the remaining 1 % in me is still a bit dissapointed [emoji38]

Agreed.

If a coronation isn’t the time to bring out the tiaras….when is?! Seems a bit strange to me.

Agreed.

If a coronation isn’t the time to bring out the tiaras….when is?! Seems a bit strange to me.
I think British Royals are obsessed with optics these days. With the cost of living crisis going on the UK they might fear an over the top gala with gowns and tiaras was too much given the scale of the procession and the ceremony which are going to take place tomorrow.

The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is wearing trousers, so... But at least she combined it with the emeralds of Q. Astrid.

When was the last time we saw the GD of Lux wearing a dress or a skirt?
I cannot remember, she probably feels more comfortable in trousers or jumpsuits.

The Duchess of Brabant is looking very grown up.

No tiaras probably is an optics thing. It would have been nice but I'm not surprised.

No tiaras probably is an optics thing. It would have been nice but I'm not surprised.

No tiaras, but at least all foreign royal ladies look lovely and fashionable from the few pictures I saw

Unvelievable. The same Felipe and Letizia today exactly 10 years + 1 week ago for exactly the same sort of event: https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/7-letizia.jpg

Who would have guessed that London would see a lower protocol than Amsterdam and Tokyo? But maybe we will see the sparkle tomorrow. One never knows!

(Amsterdam black tie at the Banquet the evening before, white tie during Enthronement, black tie during the King's Water Pageant)
(Tokyo black tie at the Eve, white tie during Enthronement, white tie during the Emperor's Banquet)

Last edited:
The Prince and Princess of Monaco. Very daring of Princess Charlene with bare shoulder. But also boy has she stepped up since her recovery.

Unvelievable. The same Felipe and Letizia today exactly 10 years + 1 week ago for exactly the same sort of event: https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/7-letizia.jpg

Who would have guessed that London would see a lower protocol than Amsterdam and Tokyo? But maybe we will see the sparkle tomorrow. One never knows!

We do have at least one tiara tonight! The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is wearing her Emerald Peacock Necklace Tiara as a necklace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isn't she just and my thoughts too.

Do we know how transportation works for something like this? Is it the UK government handling and providing to the royal guests? Respective embassies?

The Crown Prince and Princess of Norway have arrived. I actually usually love Mette’s outfits and while I get what she is doing here (Norway flag!), I don’t like it.

Do we know how transportation works for something like this? Is it the UK government handling and providing to the royal guests? Respective embassies?

My guess is that the Embassies provide in transportation for this reception, but any guess is as good as it gets.

The Crown Prince and Princess of Norway have arrived. I actually usually love Mette’s outfits and while I get what she is doing here (Norway flag!), I don’t like it.

That is not the Norwegian flag which is has blue in it. It is more Monaco what we see in red and white.

I don’t want to nurture comparisons, but I am a bit perplexed. Am I alone in thinking that C-A rarely looks refined? This loose messy hair adds no class to the whole. The same happened in Oslo. Elisabeth is again age-appropriate and impeccable.

The Princess of Monaco looks beautiful and very elegant. It's ironic that she's ditched the dark colours when so many royals are wearing black/navy tonight, that lilac shade is lovely. I hope she's chosen another nice colour for her outfitt tomorrow.

How long is this reception on for?

Back
Top Bottom