The Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, 6 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe that is what the King wanted. Empty and sparse. No carpets, no velvet canopies, no floral arrangements.
WA architecture certainly makes it possible - even without elaborate decorations it looks stunning and grand in the best way possible.

The current soloist, Pretty Yende - beautiful voice and absolutely stunning dress. If we're really missing out on tiaras today, then at least she showed up with some bling and looking fabulous!

The Macrons just arrived. Mrs Macron lovely in pink.

I guess that this pre-coronation music entertainment is worth an early arrival. The program and the performers are exquisite.

i must say i'm disappointed of the dress code instead of tiaras

When was the last time we saw Letizia with a hat? Unusual shape, but very elegant!

WA architecture certainly makes it possible - even without elaborate decorations it looks stunning and grand in the best way possible.

That counts for most impressive momuments, even St Peter in Rome, yet for special occasions flower decorations, an expression of the beauty of God's creation, adds to the festivity.

Note that also outside the venues, or at the palace, or alongside the route there are no flower decorations. Only two small white cubics with some green and purple. No, it is very minimalist.

i must say i'm disappointed of the dress code instead of tiaras

Tiaras should not be worn during daytime. It is 10.00 o'clock in the morning!
But that there is no formal white tie, ladies in long, that is remarkable (and sadly also expected).

Even ministers or presidents are not expected to dress in jacquet (morning coat).

Last edited by a moderator:
The First Minister of Scotland, Humza Yousaf, just arrived and is in a kilt! I approve!

was it at the wedding of william and catherine that she wore hat?

At State Visits and weddings and funerals to foreign monarchies, at the Investitures in Amsterdam and Tokyo, at Garter Day when her husband the King was invested.

Last edited:
Sunnystar: So do I. All the action is in the Abbey and an overabundance of plants is always somewhat a case of gilding the lily. Now outside reflects a minimum of flashy anything, in accordance with the straightened times in which we live. But the return trip is going to be very vibrant and colourful with military splendour and the coronation carriage. Not a bad trade off.

I wish I could switch Huw Edwards off on BBC - his commentary is non-stop yapping.

I wish I could switch Huw Edwards off on BBC - his commentary is non-stop yapping.
Sky News has a camera inside the Palace, showing the King and Queen get into the carriage.

You said it!

As I feared, disappointment on all levels... So sad, what a missed opportunity!

Garter collars on Sir John Major and Sir Tony Blair, followed by the rest of the former PMs and spouses.

Some former PM's in jacquet but Gordon Brown did not bother to dress up. The sight of the Garter Collar on jacquet may be an indication of seeing King Willem-Alexander alike that. He wears civil dresscode when it is a civil event.

The King’s robe looks very grand and Camilas’s dress is white, with some sparkle. They’re being arranged into the Jubilee coach now.

Sky News has a camera inside the Palace, showing the King and Queen get into the carriage.
We don't have Sky - we've just turned Huw down a bit!

I’m not counting on Catherine to wear a tiara to be honest.

I haven’t seen any foreign royals arrive yet, perhaps they were showing something else on tv at that time.

Commonwealth Realms are processing into the Abbey now.

As I feared, disappointment on all levels... So sad, what a missed opportunity!

We are not in 1953 anymore. This Coronation is tailor made for modern Britain , not for some royal watchers mourning a bygone area.

It's a wake up call, and it's maybe not a bad thing.

The procession of the Governors General is starting. The foreign royal families should come next. I hope that they show it, but maybe not, because they will cut to the King's procession.

Back
Top Bottom