The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with you but I'd take dull over celebrity any day. I don't want my Head of State and his/her family to keep hitting the front pages due to family dysfunction. We had our fill of that in the 1990s with the Wars if the Wales's and Sarah Ferguson making an exhibition of herself. I want efficiency and dignity, sprinkled with the sort of fun provided by the current working family when they visit places. I don't want drama, wingeing and tantrums. I definitely don't want wealthy, overprivileged, wannabe-celebrities trashing their family on TV or in books. Regardless of how much you love Harry and Meghan in the commonwealth, they're extremely unpopular here in the UK. They've made their choices and the monarchy moves on without them.
Is Hary so loved in the commonwealth? He made some foolish remarks about it a while ago and a lot of the CW countries are probably going to become republics and while that does not mean they will leave, they will be less tied to the UK and its royal family.
Its true that the RF has had less GOOD interest in latter years, but the solution is certainly not to focus on people like Harry and Meg who attract negative interest. People look at them because they come out with outrageous things, not because they do a good job. THe present RF in the UK is quiet, and perhaps not so charismatic but tehy are doing their job quietly and in an OK manner.

Yes i know that. I just am surprised that Harry is now loved in the commonwelath, esp when it is a pretty big organisaiton with many different countries

I have no idea. I was responding to this from HRH Tal Duchess:

That's one poster's opinion, here's mine. I live in Canada (which is also a realm as well as a Commonwealth country) and he isn't well liked here by most people. Canadian taxpayers did not want to continue to pay for his security when they lived here so he and Meghan left for California without even a thank you. (We shared his security expenses with the UK when he was here even though it was not a royal tour/official visit as is the custom).

The coverage in our media has become less positive over time. The interviews and book haven't increased his popularity (indeed the opposite) and most people here are tired of both of them.

Yes, there are still people here who like them but IMHO they are a declining minority.

Last edited:
Yes i know that. I just am surprised that Harry is now loved in the commonwelath, esp when it is a pretty big organisaiton with many different countries
I don’t believe that he is that well liked because he hasn’t been to most of them. Plus the disparaging comment from his silly documentary with some of the Commonwealth countries who recently joined called it out as patronising.

And I can't imagine ANY commonwealth country would be pleased at H showing up, expecting free security and then hopping for America once the borders were closing. I think htat really showed where his and Meghan's hearts were, that they would live in Canada if they got their security paid but if not, they wanted to make a beeline for America

Last edited:
Will Prince Harry be with the Royal Family when they make an appearance on the balcony on Coronation Day?

Hasn't it been said that it's working royals only? And also been said by Sussex Sources that he plans to be on a plane ASAP after the service to squeeze a few hours of Archie's birthday in, which is probably a convenient excuse but whatever. We'll see what happens. There's bound to be some drama created even if only about braiding on uniforms.

Neither Harry nor Meghan understand what the Commonwealth is or how it is different from the Realms let alone how it is different from the Empire. They appear to equate all these things together, which is disappointing considering the roles they were appointed to. They (and they aren't alone in this) also appear to have little understanding why countries might see economic and social advantages to joining despite never being a member of the former British Empire, refusing to join upon achieving independence or leaving and rejoining. The idea that the UK government is trying to create Empire 2.0 with the Commonwealth (something they said previously) is laughable if you have tried to do literally anything with getting funding from the government for a Commonwealth program.

I prefer a dull, dutiful head of state, - I'd prefer that in a PM as well but the theatrics of modern day politics make that unlikely from any party. I certainly don't want someone complaining that they are the 0.0001% of the world's elite but because there are literally 4 adults ahead of them in importance in the entire country, that they have been dealt a terrible hand in life. That goes for more than just H&M as well.

The press are reporting that he doesn't even plan to attend the lunch after the ceremony, and'll ve leaving pretty much immediately.

Hasn't it been said that it's working royals only? And also been said by Sussex Sources that he plans to be on a plane ASAP after the service to squeeze a few hours of Archie's birthday in, which is probably a convenient excuse but whatever. We'll see what happens. There's bound to be some drama created even if only about braiding on uniforms.

The coronation will be at 11 am UK time (which is 3 am in California).

Assuming he is able to catch the first BA-flight back to LA at 3.45 pm (he'd be in a hurry but might be possible with preferred treatment), he would be back in LA at 6.55 pm, before he's home Archie should be in bed and sleeping imho - and definitely not up for a party. However, they would be able to celebrate as a family on Sunday.

The press are reporting that he doesn't even plan to attend the lunch after the ceremony, and'll ve leaving pretty much immediately.

This may be just past behaviour. They didn’t bother going to the family lunch after trouping and didn’t go to the big lunch after the church service.

They basically went to the two that guaranteed being pictured.

There must be a legit reason why Prince Harry avoids extra time with his family after these public events, etc. The treatment from some members of the family can't be all the great...He's right to just go to the Coronation and leave...

This may be just past behaviour. They didn’t bother going to the family lunch after trouping and didn’t go to the big lunch after the church service.

They basically went to the two that guaranteed being pictured.

There must be a legit reason why Prince Harry avoids extra time with his family after these public events, etc. The treatment from some members of the family can't be all the great...He's right to just go to the Coronation and leave...

If he's really being so awfully treated, why is he coming at all? Why not make a diplomatic excuse and not go? There is a legit reason why he avoids too much time iwht his family... he has created such an atmosphere, with his book and interviews that the family cannot trust him and prefer to keep contact to talk about the weather.

The coronation will be at 11 am UK time (which is 3 am in California).

Assuming he is able to catch the first BA-flight back to LA at 3.45 pm (he'd be in a hurry but might be possible with preferred treatment), he would be back in LA at 6.55 pm, before he's home Archie should be in bed and sleeping imho - and definitely not up for a party. However, they would be able to celebrate as a family on Sunday.
I was surprised that he was attempting to make it home on the same day considering the flight length and time change. Even after her lands in Los Angeles,
he still has to take either another flight or drive two plus hours to Montecito. By the time he's is really back in his home, his children will be ready for bed. If Harry wants to be present at the party, then it should be scheduled for the following day.

Just a thought , maybe the Duke or Duchess has a friend with a private jet that could obviate the need to wait for a scheduled flight .

I'm going with the "Private Plane" arrangement. When IS the last time either Sussex's flew commercial ?

The Eco-warrior persona of Harry, who fronted Travalyst, The company that was based on "the environment and sustainability".....that went by the "way side" during Covid. Actually he is less of a hypocrite now. He, or Meghan doesnt even bother now to pretend to fly Commercial.

The Santa Barbara Airport is less than 15 minutes to Montecito Ca. Very easy to charter a Private Plane.... EvoJet... to go to from there to Heathrow and back....."Wings When You Want Them", is their motto.

Or more likely, one of The Sussex's billionaire California friends will offer a private confidential Jet to get him to London and back. Then they will commiserate about the bad and out of touch Windsor Family-Firm.

And celebrate "Prince Archie Harrison's" Birthday.

They never pay themselves. There is always a friend with a private jet. Having said that, Harry has flown commercial a lot when he is on his own. Presumably he will be arranging for the last of their stuff to be brought to the USA however. Being the last time in Frogmore. He may stay later…doesn’t he have the court case? Otherwise what would really be the point. He may see some of the family the evening before but on the day if he doesn’t go to the after events he will just be on his own. Whether just sitting in Frogmore alone or in some hotel or wherever. Just him and his memories and his family all over the TV. Better off going home.

Last edited:
So, an article in the Telegraph about Meghan's letter to Charles going unanswered, Harry being desperate to be back in the UK for the coronation and wanting to see him family. I feel like we are starting to see the beginnings of a PR push

So, an article in the Telegraph about Meghan's letter to Charles going unanswered, Harry being desperate to be back in the UK for the coronation and wanting to see him family. I feel like we are starting to see the beginnings of a PR push

Well considering the public's largely negative reaction to of the docuseries Harry and Meghan and Spare, the couple are certainly in need a positive PR push.

The family structure between the Sussex on one side and the Wales and King Charles/Queen Camilla on the other one is fractured beyond repair. And worst part is like everyone wants Charles to be the bigger person just because he's 'the dad'.

Harry and Meghan are grown adults, not kids. And in order to mediate a solution they have to step up and admit they either fabricated exaggerations out of a 100-million-dollar plus TV payout and book deal. And this will never happen.

When I read the trial details and some of Harry's own interviews and quotes, all this time he blamed the family for leaks matches his declaration the newspaper hired people to bug his car or other places he frequented. If he knew it all along, why then blame his family for leaks on private conversations?
At this point the best solution is just attend the ceremony and move on to a life in the USA. There's no turning back, that bridge was burned after the first TV trailer came out.

Just to put it into perspective, if you had a grown son that spends life complaining about the privileged life you gave him, and trashing your family in public, would you welcome him home for Thanksgiving, the holidays, a weekend stay-over? I'll tell him just forget my number and have a nice life, and you and that attitude are out of the Will, too.

King Charles has better things to preoccupy with than dealing with a grown man-child.

Another private letter is leaked. Does this mean another lawsuit is in the horizon?

The family structure between the Sussex on one side and the Wales and King Charles/Queen Camilla on the other one is fractured beyond repair. And worst part is like everyone wants Charles to be the bigger person just because he's 'the dad'.

(..)

You know what, Meghan cut off her father because he staged paps photo and did interviews. Apparently for her (and her fans), those acts should be considered as unforgivable sins. Even as her father was ill, there's no need for her to "offer an olive branch" and reach out to him and it's completely justifiable. On the other hand, after interviews the Sussexes did, Charles (and William?) should (and must) reach out to Harry (and Meghan)?

The difference between the two cases is that Thomas Markle hasn't written any book about Meghan, so maybe he needs to write one so Meghan would offer olive branch to him ...

I understand that the letter was answered and the answer was considered to not be “satisfactory”?

You breath, you have unconscious bias.

Whoever you are, your live experience is blinkered because of the experiences of have. The only real ‘fix’ is to encourage at all times an open mind and to educate about different life experiences; and teach empathy for the universal fundamentals of us all.

The royal family are not perfect but they seem to try. Meghan isn’t perfect either and will have unconscious bias. Like us all. It was absolutely cringing watching Harry rollback from the racism claims in his Spare interview.

Yes I do think this is the straight of what Harry would call: All the planting and the leaking.

Some quotes from the article.

‘The Palace is also aware of the Sussexes’ frustration that initial email correspondence about the Coronation made no reference to their children and their potential involvement. The omission only fuelled their feeling that their family plays second fiddle to the Waleses.’

They are too young to be there…Archie could have been brought in for a bit. Louis too is too young to stay the course. And you don’t work for the family anymore. Not just second fiddle but non existence in terms of the job considerations. I am sure they could have asked about the children.

‘The Duchess is understood to feel that concerns she has raised, which crucially include the way in which bullying complaints against her were handled and the allegation that neglect by the institution led her to feel suicidal, have still not been resolved.’

They had an institutional review. Since I 100 percent think what she did was bullying, what more does she want. A restorative justice meeting? All parties had moved on physical space wise anyway. And she doesn’t think she did bully.

‘Tensions with Charles were soothed when the King did eventually reach out to his son and the pair had a heart-to-heart, shortly before the Duke confirmed his attendance at the Coronation.

But there were no such overtures to Meghan, with whom relations with the Prince and Princess of Wales remain at rock bottom.’

No offense Meghan but this is not your family. And you know them about two seconds. Of course it was all going to be about Harry. And you don’t have a relationship with William and Catherine. It’s Harry’s brother.

‘The Duchess has expressed disappointment at the lack of support she received from the institution during her time as a working member of the family, when she felt she was subjected to a volley of racist abuse from which she was unable to protect herself.

The simmering resentment was only exacerbated following the death of Elizabeth II, when the Sussexes felt they were treated appallingly by the Royal family.

A failure to personally inform the Duke that his grandmother had died before putting out a public statement was followed by an apparent about-turn over the Duke’s right to wear military uniform and an invitation sent in error to a state reception at Buckingham Palace.’

And again we come down to expectation versus reality. The royals don’t and can’t challenge every claim. A lot of which was on social media.

As for the funeral. I find it hard to believe they didn’t tell him. After what they went through to get hold of him for Phillip. Of he wasn’t told it is because they couldn’t get hold of the pilot on the plane for some reason like he wouldn’t tell them where he was or he refused to answer calls. However, the British country was already on high alert for six hours by the time or death was announced and that too needed to be taken into consideration. The Queen died ages before Harry’s plane even took off. I don’t understand how he wasn’t told pretty much within the first half an hour. Which is usual after a death. The people there take a bit to compose themselves and then start the calls to people. Again we know there was a fight that day and who knows what antics were going on.

And the invitation was a boo boo but only really so given the frayed relationships and toddler responses of the Sussexes. If it was Eugenie it would simply be: mate this isn’t for me. They went to everything that non working members of the family were at. It’s a bit like a child I work with who has attachment needs given their start in life. Not in first group to do baking. Absolute melt down. I could give in but what would that each them? As it is you spend ages on distraction techniques…such as uniforms.

Last edited:
I must admit Meghan has surprised me with the timing, I thought she would have taken her head above the parapet during the week of the coronation. I have been waiting for something like this. Once again their truth.

Allegedly, Meghan Markle wrote to Charles AFTER her Oprah interview naming royal who made 'skin colour' comment about Archie and accusing monarchy of 'unconscious bias' - and isn't attending the Coronation because she was unhappy with the response, sources say.

Does she want Charles to publicly name that person before she forgives?
Will she prevent her children from seeing any of the royal family; much like she has done with the Markle family.

It seems she is bringing up the race row again just before the Coronation (privately to Charles).

Sorry I cannot post the link to the Daily Mail today, (unless it is allowed)?

Last edited:
It is a Telegraph article. They wouldn't do the Times, the Guardian wouldn't engage with them. And over their bodies would they plant in tabloids.

By a process of limited choice The Telegraph is their newspaper of choice. The royals, given last weeks planted articlenon Camilla, have used the times and on occasion others.

Last edited:
Well Victoria Ward has always been on their side I guess, not so much other Telegraph royal writers like Camilla Tominey (although she definitely was at first).

They were not treated badly at either the Jubilee or funeral, no other grandchildren apart from William went up there on that flight and that was because he needed to be there for his new job. I don't believe they didn't try to tell him but if they couldn't I bet it was because it was impossible. If things were frosty BTS that is all on them because the family knew they had a show and a book coming out! Let alone what they had already said. They should both be utterly ashamed of the petty attacks and complaints that came out of their mouths and those of their known sources during HLM's funeral as well as Philip's.

They love being in a hierarchy but they can't stand that they aren't the ones at the top.

It's like they re upset that there wasn't more reaction to her not attending and they expected a lot more drama.

Last edited:
Well Victoria Ward has always been on their side I guess, not so much other Telegraph royal writers like Camilla Tominey (although she definitely was at first).

They were not treated badly at either the Jubilee or funeral, no other grandchildren apart from William went up there on that flight and that was because he needed to be there for his new job. I don't believe they didn't try to tell him but if they couldn't I bet it was because it was impossible. If things were frosty BTS that is all on them because the family knew they had a show and a book coming out! Let alone what they had already said. They should both be utterly ashamed of the petty attacks and complaints that came out of their mouths and those of their known sources during HLM's funeral as well as Philip's.

They love being in a hierarchy but they can't stand that they aren't the ones at the top.

It's like they re upset that there wasn't more reaction to her not attending and they expected a lot more drama.

Like anyone cared. The media have one job: Sell copy. Digitally or paper. Articles about will they won't they sold better.

This saga is just going to run on and on!
Much like it did with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and King George VI; which only ended when the King died in 1952. When Elizabeth came to the throne the feud stayed under the surface. Charles may as well just get on with his life; unless all parties are on board with coming to some sort of closure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom