Tiara and Jewels guessing for upcoming events: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Queen Mary's fringe tiara as this one was also worn quiet often by the Queen Mother during her husband's reign and has only been worn 3 or 4 times by Queen Elizabeth II.

I agree, the Queen Mary Fringe would be a good one for either Camilla or Catherine. That said, I am just not sure that Camilla will want to use another all diamond tiara, given how the Boiucheron has been her signature tiara for the last 17 years.

The bigger question is whether the South African diamonds get an airing at the State Banquet. Some may argue that it is too soon after the death of QE2 to to use her jewels. My view is that "diplomatic dressing" does not wait.

Whilst the design of the necklace may be suited to a younger person (the Princess of Wales), I think the primary role of diplomatic dressing now falls on Camilla, and I think she will wear them.

Last edited:
The bigger question is whether the South African diamonds get an airing at the State Banquet. Some may argue that it is too soon after the death of QE2 to to use her jewels. My view is that "diplomatic dressing" does not wait.

Whilst the design of the necklace may be suited to a younger person (the Princess of Wales), I think the primary role of diplomatic dressing now falls on Camilla, and I think she will wear them.

I can't think which necklace is the South African one - does it have another name?

Perhaps Queen Camilla could use one of the Cullinan brooches for the welcome Ceremony. As the Cullinan has also a conncection to Sotuh Africa.

I can't think which necklace is the South African one - does it have another name?

This is the necklace I was referring to.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/theme...elebration/buckingham-palace/diamond-necklace

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: The Queen's Top 10 Diamonds: #9. The South African Diamonds

Perhaps Queen Camilla could use one of the Cullinan brooches for the welcome Ceremony. As the Cullinan has also a conncection to Sotuh Africa.

That could be an option.

But I suspect a consideration could be that the Cullinan brooches were used by QE2 a lot more than the SA necklace was, so may feel a bit personal to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I agree that Catherine already has a tiara associated with the title she now carries, she has been wearing the Lover Knot tiara for a while now and it would be nice to underline the change in her status with a new tiara. Queen Mary's fringe or Queen Alexandra's kokoshnik would be perfect IMO (I would even love the diamond bandeau from Meghan's wedding, but can you imagine the press going crazy after that? ).

While I agree that Catherine already has a tiara associated with the title she now carries, she has been wearing the Lover Knot tiara for a while now and it would be nice to underline the change in her status with a new tiara. Queen Mary's fringe or Queen Alexandra's kokoshnik would be perfect IMO (I would even love the diamond bandeau from Meghan's wedding, but can you imagine the press going crazy after that? ).

The Queen Mary Fringe is a good sized tiara, with suitable wattage and presence, that can be used as an all-diamond tiara by either of Camilla or Catherine.

I had thought about the Cullinan brooches too, but not because of their connection to South Africa. I was thinking that Queen Camilla could use the Delhi Durbar tiara (she only wore once as far as I can remember) and the Cullinan V was part of it once iirc.

The Cullinan's, unlike the Koh-i-Nor, are actually pretty uncontroversial and have a very clear, and valid, line of ownership. Of course there will always be a small vocal minority that will disagree. The Koh-i-Nor is another story. But I agree, QEII connected the Cullinan's more with the Dutch(where it was cut) then with South Africa.

The sash for South Africa is earthy yellow and green so I think rubies might clash with that. Perhaps just diamonds, pearls, or emeralds to go with it. Perhaps we will see the Greville emerald necklace last seem on the Queen Mother.

I expect no suprises (Greville for Camilla and QM’s Lover’s Knot for Catherine) for the South African State Visit as i don’t think there has been any time to send any tiaras to the court jeweller to refit the bases after the new wearers headsize’s... Though i wouldn’t protest if Camilla turns up wearing the Oriental Circlet Tiara and Catherine Queen Mary’s Fringe Tiara ;)

I really can’t imagine the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara being used anytime soon… It was her late majesty’s favourite and iconic go-to-tiara…. Maybe it’s just me but i think it’s too soon…

Last edited:
The sash for South Africa is earthy yellow and green so I think rubies might clash with that. Perhaps just diamonds, pearls, or emeralds to go with it. Perhaps we will see the Greville emerald necklace last seem on the Queen Mother.

The colours of the South African sash will only be relevant if the relevant order were to be bestowed upon Queen Camilla. As Duchess of Cornwall, she did not receive many overseas orders as the UK themselves rarely bestow orders on the spouses of overseas dignitaries, as it often the case with other countries.

Now that Camilla up-graded to Queen Consort she will receive more orders than she used to as Duchess of Cornwall. So it will be interesting to see whether she receives the SA order or not. If she receives it, the Oriental circlet is off the table.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Queen Consort should wear a new tiara. (Wishful thinking?:D) The late Queen always knew that the show must go on, that her jewels were a mark of her rank and had to be worn on the job. And would she have wanted that her jewels lie dormant for decades to come? They might give her personal favorites a few years rest. But the kokoshnik hasn't been worn since 2015, if I'm not mistaken. And the late Queen wore the fringe only three times. Those two wouldn't clash with the sash colour.

The colours of the South African sash will only be relevant if the relevant order were to be bestowed upon Queen Camilla. As Duchess of Cornwall, she did not receive many overseas orders as the UK themselves rarely bestow orders on the spouses of overseas dignitaries, as it often the case with other countries.

I googled previous state visits from South Africa to European monarchies. From what I found in the UK, Norway and Denmark, the monarch was given the South African order and the consort was not.

If history is any guide, Queen Camilla will be wearing her Order of the Garter. We can always wonder which jeweled garter star she will be wearing though.

Now that Camilla up-graded to Queen Consort she will receive more orders than she used to as Duchess of Cornwall. So it will be interesting to see whether she receives the SA order or not. If she receives it, the Oriental circlet is off the table.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Queen Consort should wear a new tiara. (Wishful thinking?:D) The late Queen always knew that the show must go on, that her jewels were a mark of her rank and had to be worn on the job. And would she have wanted that her jewels lie dormant for decades to come? They might give her personal favorites a few years rest. But the kokoshnik hasn't been worn since 2015, if I'm not mistaken. And the late Queen wore the fringe only three times. Those two wouldn't clash with the sash colour.

I believe the Kokoshnik was last worn in 2015 at the state dinner for President Peña Nieto of Mexico, but there have been only 5 incoming state visits to the UK since then (China, Colombia, Spain, the Netherlands, and the USA).

The green and yellow South African Order of the Good Hope is no longer awarded. It is dormant since 2002 when the new National Honours was introduced.

Queen Elizabeth II recived the Order of the Companions of O. R. Tambo, during the state visit of former president Jacob Zuma in 2010… She paired it with Queen Alexandra’s Kokoshnik Tiara, the Pear drop earrings and her south african diamond necklace and bracelet.

Prince Philip did not recive any south african orders and wore his Order of the Garter. It will likely be the same for Camilla.

Photo

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Oriental Circlet is a tiara that QC will probably start wearing, followed by the Kokoshnik and the Vladimir. I don't think she'll wear Queen Mary's fringe as it was very personal to QEII, being worn at her wedding, her daughter's wedding and her granddaughter's wedding. I doubt she'll wear the Girls either as it's so much associated with QEII - best leave that one for Catherine when she's queen.

I dislike the designs of the coloured stone tiaras (Burmese Ruby, Belgian Sapphire & Brazilian Aquamarine) and my preference would be to break them up and rework them into better styles but I doubt that will happen.

The piece I'd love to see Catherine wear is Diana's sapphire and pearl choker - that's a stunner.

I wonder if the ladies will be wearing Charles new family order.

So, on Tuesday we could get the Battle of the Gigants that we all have been longing for, the Dutch State Visit Banquet in Stockholm. Here is the wishes, and predictions:

Wishes:
Queen Silvia - The Braganza Tiara
Queen Máxima - The Stuart Tiara, in one of the smaller nicer settings
Crown Princess Victoria - Anything but the Laurel Wreath Tiara, but I would like to see The Karl Johan Tiara (Six Button Tiara)
Princess Sofia - Anything but her Wedding Tiara, maybe the Amethyst Tiara again
Princess Christina - The Connaught Diamond Tiara

Predictions:
Queen Silvia - The Leuchtenberg Sapphires Tiara
Queen Máxima - The Wurttemberg Pearl Tiara
Crown Princess Victoria - The Baden Fringe
Princess Sofia - The Wedding Tiara
Princess Christina - not attending

I really hope we see a different tiara on Princess Sofia for the Dutch state visit!

So, on Tuesday we could get the Battle of the Gigants that we all have been longing for, the Dutch State Visit Banquet in Stockholm. Here is the wishes, and predictions:

Wishes:
Queen Silvia - The Braganza Tiara
Queen Máxima - The Stuart Tiara, in one of the smaller nicer settings
Crown Princess Victoria - Anything but the Laurel Wreath Tiara, but I would like to see The Karl Johan Tiara (Six Button Tiara)
Princess Sofia - Anything but her Wedding Tiara, maybe the Amethyst Tiara again
Princess Christina - The Connaught Diamond Tiara

Predictions:
Queen Silvia - The Leuchtenberg Sapphires Tiara
Queen Máxima - The Wurttemberg Pearl Tiara
Crown Princess Victoria - The Baden Fringe
Princess Sofia - The Wedding Tiara
Princess Christina - not attending

Here are my realistic guesses:

MAXIMA: Stuarat diamond tiara, probably with the stuart diamond in place, like she wore in London

SILVIA: Leuchtenberg Sapphires or Cameos

VICTORIA: Baden Fringe

SOFIA: Wedding tiara

The green and yellow South African Order of the Good Hope is no longer awarded. It is dormant since 2002 when the new National Honours was introduced.

Queen Elizabeth II recived the Order of the Companions of O. R. Tambo, during the state visit of former president Jacob Zuma in 2010… She paired it with Queen Alexandra’s Kokoshnik Tiara, the Pear drop earrings and her south african diamond necklace and bracelet.

Prince Philip did not recive any south african orders and wore his Order of the Garter. It will likely be the same for Camilla.

Photo

The Order of Good Hope was discontinued because it was established by the previous apartheid government. As far as I understand, the new Order of the Companions of O. R. Tambo does not have a sash and the badge is always worn around the neck. It is not normally awarded to consorts of Heads of State either.

For the Dutch state visit to Sweden, I’d really like the following

Queen Silvia - the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Tiara
Princess Victoria - the Amethyst Tiara
Princess Sofia - the Connaught diamond tiara

Queen Maxima - Melerio Ruby tiara
Princess Catharina Amalia (if she attends) - the aquamarine party’s tiara

It is very well possible (but hard to imagine) that Queen Máxima keeps it small and wears aquamarines because these colour superbly with the Seraphim Order.

I hope to see a fabulous hairdo with the Württemberg Ornate Pearls and Diamonds Diadem with all eleven poiré pearls mounted on top. That is a mighty sight as well ( picture ).

I really hope we see a different tiara on Princess Sofia for the Dutch state visit!

It is high time that she wears another one then her Wedding tiara

My wishes:

Queen Silvia - Braganza tiara or the Cameo tiara
Queen Maxíma - Stuart tiara in full setting or the Württemberg pearl tiara in full setting

Crown Princess Victoria - Connaught tiara or the Cut steel tiara
Princess Sofia - four button tiara
Princess Christina - aquamarine koshnik

What will be worn
Queen Silvia - the pronger ot the leuchtenberg sapphires
Queen Maxima - difficult to tell

Crown Princess Victoria - the laurel tiara or the baden fringe tiara
Princess Sofia - her Wedding tiara
Princess Christina - either n ot attending or the 6-button tiara

For the Sweden-the Netherlands state visit, I guess it'll be:

Silvia: the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Tiara
Maxima: the Sapphire Tiara
Victoria: the Aquamarine Kokoshnik or the Connaught Tiara
Sofia: her wedding tiara with pearl

I don't think there'll be tiara event in Germany-Spain and Lithuania-Belgium state visit, but if so, I guess:

Letizia: her Pearl Fleur de Lys or the Floral Tiara
Mathilde: the Wolfers Tiara or the Brabant Laurel Wreath Tiara

For the Greece-the Netherlands state visit, I guess:
Maxima: the Aquamarine tiara or the Pearl Button Tiara

The Netherlands-Italy state visit:
Maxima: the Ruby Peacock Tiara
Catharina-Amalia: the Star Buttons Tiara or the Emerald Tiara (if she attends, I don't think she'll be there though)

Last edited:
My guesses for Netherlands/Sweden:
Silvia: Leuchtenberg parure
Maxima: full Stuart tiara (well, she likes big, doesn't she? :D)
Victoria: the fringe tiara (she just wore the laurel tiara, so I think it will be something else)
Sofia: her wedding tiara with pearls (it's over-used, but well...)
Cristina: the 6-button tiara (another one that's over-used, sigh...)

Spain/Germany:
We may like it or not, but the Spanish Queen doesn't wear tiaras at visits to republics.

Netherlands to Greece:
Maybe I have read too much of Harry Potter, but isn't this one jinxed?:cool: I hope it takes place...

Italy to the Netherlands:
Difficult! Maxima has so much to choose from. Maybe the Mellerio rubies (though I prefer the peacock tiara).
Amalia: I think it's too early days to expect her at a State Banquet.
There's a better chance that Beatrix may attend, or even Margriet or Laurentien.

Harald and Sonja will host a gala dinner for the members of parliament on October 27. Here are my guesses:

Sonja: Josephine's emerald tiara

Mette Marit: Amethyst tiara

Astrid: Vasa tiara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom